PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Chinese New Year festival in Chiang Mai
    Thanks

Chinese New Year festival in Chiang Mai

The Chinese New Year festival is celebrated from February 7 to 9 this year. Information around is almost non-existent, city-now and citylife don't even list the event in their events guide. If all goes as it did in the past 2 years, there is going to be a very spectacular dragon dance, lion dance, of course lots of shopping and food stalls, and a beauty and singing contest for small girls. There is a small Chinese temple, where food offerings are made. In addition, a small Chinese theatre is set up by the river, next to the police station, and shows go on until the lantern festival (two weeks after New year), in the evenings. Chinatown is located near the river, at Warorot market, it is a small area, but there is lots to see.
    I will try to find out about the exact time for the dragon dance and the kids' contest.

If anyone has additional info, please add.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Chinese New Year festival in Chiang Mai

If I see anything relevant I will post it here-but it seems Chinese New Year is losing prominence in Thailand

Thanks

I went around Chinatown today at 6p.m., and there were absolutely no preparations at all - no stage, no food, no stage for the theatre, no people wearing red - just like any other day in the calendar. maybe tomorrow? weird. I haven't been able to find an official calendar either.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Wow! That is weird-while I would not expect anything around the "Three Kings Monument" area and other popular areas, I thought Chinatown would have something-maybe there will be a Lion Dance tomorrow at one of the popular areas? Very sad.

Thanks

maybe the whole thing is just being postponed to the weekend? will check it out tomorrow. yes I was upset and surprised! last year you could hardly move - for two nights. not sure about the day of the week though. maybe Friday? I had been working earlier on one of the days at least.

Thanks

Could the lack of Chinese New Year celebrations be due to the recent passing of the Late Princess Galyani Vadhana?

Thanks

good point Yeows - but I guess even if singing and dancing are cancelled, people would still enjoy eating out, shopping, merit-making, and other mild forms of entertainment.
    btw, there was lots of music at the flower festival, in the evenings, last weekend.

Thanks

I think with recent passing of the Late Princess Galyani Vadhana that most gathering have been canceled. I believe I read some were that there is a voluntary 100 day mourning.

Heck I had a basketball tournament in early February that was canceled but the one next month is still on so I'm not to sure. I was looking forward to spending Chinese New Year out but it was dead all week long here in CM.

Thanks

yes. thanks for confirming. they should have announced something though.... instead of just pretending it's not even happening.
    I would have been much happier if songkran had been cancelled.

Thread Information