PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Kitteung protaet thai jung leuee
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nampeung Guest

sad

Hey there~

My name is Amber (but I prefer to be called Nampeung, my Thai nickname). I was an exchange student to Thailand with Rotary International last year. I lived in Nakhon Ratchasima, also known as Korat, for 10 months. (The same place as Jon, but I had a much more positive experience...)

I returned to the United States (I am attending a University in Oregon) about 6 months ago and I miss Thailand so much. I must admit that Thailand stole my heart... I miss the wonderful, loving people... the food... the beauty... the weather... in fact I can truthfully say I miss EVERYTHING about it there.

I am studying Thai here at the University of Oregon, and I am also an assistant teacher for the beginning Thai class.

I went to Thailand without knowing a word of Thai (other than "sawat dii khah") and came back with a sincere love for the language. Not only does it sound beautiful, but it has a way of expressing the heart better than any other (in reference to using "jai" in various concoctions for different meanings)

I am planning on majoring in International Studies with a stress on South East Asia and possibly Diplomatic Law. I am trying to find any way I can to get back to beautiful "protaet thai"... a place I now consider my home.

I have written two songs (I play guitar) in Thai, since my return, and I hope to write many more. Song Thai is somewhat different than both spoken and written Thai, so if anybody knows about it and could tell me about it I would really appreciate it.

I love Thailand and am always eager to find other people who love it there as much as I do (both Thai and "falang") or even people who have any questions about the language... the culture... school life... whatever. I am always looking for people to share experiences with and if you are heading to Thailand...

"CHOK DII NA KHAH!"

Good luck!

Nampeung

Thanks
    Amber

I am the one you call 'Jon.'

But, I've gotta test you first!

Did you ever break bones? I'm not sure, but Nat never said anything about it. Or play piano?

Did you have lots of experiences with number 4, somtam, cows in gardens, or orange juice?

Jonny

PS - How's Sten?

Nampeung Guest
    Jonny~

Hmmmm no broken bones.... no piano (are these stories I should know about?)

Mucho stories about Som Tum, but who doesn't have those... gotta love the orange juice, especially since it's not really orange juice at all... and an excellent thirst quencher after running at Bung. Where did you go (or not go) to school?

Amber

Thanks
    =) Don't worry - passed with flying colors!

Where did I go to school? I'm assuming you went to Suranari. I actually went to Ashiwa - you know, that college like thing down the street, with the bakery and noodle house.

Who did you stay with? And did you go to Suranari?

So many questions, so little time!

Jonny

PS - "broken bones" and "piano" are part of the forgotten language, 'pah sah code of Rotary Exchange Students" =)

bones = cigarettes (cause they're white and snap easily)
    piano = disco (because it's where the music plays)

Nampeung Guest
    Aww yes... I suppose with the new newbies we formed out own language as well...

While in Chiang Mai we went to this awsome disco called "The Bubble" and ever since then we would refer to discos as a bubble... or blowing bubbles... great fun indeed.

I actually attended Boonwattana School, THANK GOD! I would have gone crazy at an all girls school. About 3/4 the way through the year I got a little bored with the maturity level of the students and I headed to Nakhon Ratchasima School of Business and Tourism. It was like a vocational school, and mucho fun. I ended up teaching there more than anything else.

How did you like school?

Are you missing anything there? I miss how "nim nim" all the bread was. I hated it at first, but I must admit it has grown on me.

I lived with The Janpravits, The Raomonochais, and eventually the Charn family.... what about you? What was your club?

Thanks
    Aah, yes, Bubbles....

I don't think I remember that night...mostly AFS students not letting me head to the bathroom.

I can't believe you went to Boonwatana! An old AFS Aussie went there and didn't think too much of it herself.

I guess, like you, I just got bored with the maturity of the students and ended up being a teacher at Ashiwa. I think I'd have liked to teach somewhere else, but I got really attached to the school after all...

I went across with Khunying-Mo Korat - you know, that tiny club that really tries hard to be like the big NR club. As for missing stuff, well, everything! I'm a bit spoiled to live in a big Asian community so I can find a Thai restaurant quite easily, but...it's just not the same, you know?

So are you gonna write an article on thailandlife.com? It'd be interesting to see how three different experiences all panned out.

Jonny

Thanks
    PS

I really miss that roti guy across from Khun Chan's house. And the noodles at Khun Rattaprateep's house.

Jonny

natalia Guest
    Hey there!!!
    This is so cool that you two are writing each other!! I just wanted to say that I miss you both very vety much!!! And wouldn´t be great if we could meet again in the wonderful land of smiles?!! Luvya!!

natalia Guest

Oopsie...

Oh Jon!!!
    Why did you have to remind me of the roti guy!!! God!!weren´t those sticks fattening!!! But so good!!!

Nampeung Guest
    What a happy little circle of friends we have going for us now...

Gotta love the roti guy... I miss a lot of things... I miss Thai boys mucho much (you know what I'm talking about Natalia...) I miss Bung... I miss motorcycles more than I could have imagined, and flagging down the yellow #1... I miss Thai rap and Thai singers... I miss Thai discos and the crazy way that they dance... looking so ridiculous yet so cute at the same time. I miss the way (I can't believe I am saying this) that the thai playboys can get away with dating 13 girls (remember PiPomme?) and none of them finding out about the other. I miss the language... I miss skipping class and playing Loso on the guitar and singing along with everyone else who was skipping class down by the lake... I miss the skate park. I miss the exchange students... I miss JJ Market. I miss spending 20 baht on a fantastic meal and only 10 on cha-yen and coconut ice cream. I miss the fruit!!!! I miss almost everything... I don't miss the crap that rotarians put us through, nor the lies that they often concocted, nor that I wasn't allowed to confront those problems because of cultural barriers... But everything else... I yearn to do, see, smell, and touch again.

Thread Information