Thanks
    Thanked 5,224 Times in 3,368 Posts

"Keep toads off food menu"

Thai Ministry of Public Health Warning

"Keep toads off food menu"

4 February 2008
    Translated from 2 February 2008 MinyHealth Warning Published in Khon Kaen

The Royal Thai Ministry of Public Health has warned consumers not to use toads in cooking because the poisons present in toads are not removed by high heat in cooking. As well, the Ministry has reiterated to the public that there is no scientific evidence present to support the widely-held belief that use of toads in food can cure diseases.

Dr. Yach Boonyuangwirote, Thailand's Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health, stated that use of toads as a sidedish when drinking alcohol or beer is an extremely dangerous matter and that each year there are several deaths reported because of this practice. He said that toads are poisonous and that in their poison is a white mucus-like substance called "toad resin," and in addition, the parts of a toad - skin, blood, organs and eggs - all carry poisons.

The doctor indicated that these were all dangerous, especially as when made into food the poisons impact the working of the heart, including heart pressure and heartbeat. As well, the poisons in toads are resistant to heat, so the public is warned. Those who hold the belief that toads can increease scrength or cure diseases are wrong and taking extremely dangerous chances in consuming the poisonous toad.

Khorat Post
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Re: "Keep toads off food menu"

I actually watched as toads were being prepared in the village once. From what I understood from my impromptu education all of the problems with eating toads are correct. The toads were skinned, gutted, and soaked in an evil brew. The process took quite some time.
    It was not apparent to me the reason for eating toads was anything more than hunger; but I was already reeling for the thought of eating one in the first place and something could have slipped by.

My observations of eating toads (I declined the opportunity) leaned more towards necessity than desire. It may come as no surprise that I do not think the Ministries notice will do very much to stop the practice.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

I well remember eating "gop yaang" when I lived in Pak Isaan. They were coloured yellow with tumeric, skewered on little bamboo crucifixes and roasted over charcoal by the street vendors. They were quite nice to eat actually and tasted a bit like chicken. The females had red berry-sized eggs on their backs and we ate them too. I am surprised to find that they are poisonous after enjoying them many years ago without any noticeable bad effects. Are they no longer sold on the roadsides and at bus depots throughout Isaan?
    Ӽ

Thanks

Perhaps those were frogs and not toads?
    I was at a local Thai supermarket yesterday when I saw packets of small frogs (dead) for sale. Those were really tiny, about the size of my thumb. How do Thais eat them?

Thanks

No, I think the ones I ate were toads, because they were quite large - up to 150mm (6 inches) long. And I think it is only toads that have eggs on their backs, but not sure about that.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Why do people eat things that taste like chicken instead of just eating a chicken.?

I eat beef because I like it, same with pork, and I eat chicken because it is what was fixed for supper, but I do not eat it because it taste like chicken.

Thanks

I ate toads because I liked them, not because they were chicken substitutes. But chicken was the nearest thing that they tasted of. And besides, when you're young you do all sorts of silly things. I used to think I was pretty cool eating toads!
    Ӽ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    I well remember eating "gop yaang" when I lived in Pak Isaan.
    'Gop' yang would mean barbecue frog, a toad is a 'kaang-kok'.

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    No, I think the ones I ate were toads, because they were quite large - up to 150mm (6 inches) long. And I think it is only toads that have eggs on their backs, but not sure about that.
    Frogs and toads are pretty much the same, the main difference being that frogs lay their eggs in clumps and toads in long strings. My father-in-law had a frog with eggs awaiting the barbecue which he showed me last year.

David

Thanks

OK so I might have been eating frogs after all. But they were nice anyway
    Ӽ

Thread Information