PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Floating your worries away!
    Thanks

Floating your worries away!

Loy Kratong

Feeling a little stressed? Dreaming of Rambo with the Big Gun as you nod politely to your co-workers? This may be the Festival for you.

Loy Krathong (Thai ลอยกระทง) is a festival celebrated annually throughout Thailand. It is held on the full moon of the 12th month in the traditional Thai lunar calendar. This year Loy Krathong is on Wednesday, November 12th, 2008. Basically the meaning of the Festival is to thank the waters in the rivers/lakes and the rains from the sky for helping the land produce enough food for the people to eat.

Hopefully there will be posts from members to give specific details about where and what time festivals are going to take place in different cities and villages around Isaan (especially along the Mekong River).

The major event of Loy Krathong is to make a raft with a candle on it and float it away on a body of water. Apart from recognizing the Buddha with light (the candle on the raft), the act of floating away the candle raft is symbolic of letting go of all grudges, anger and mental garbage, so that person can start life fresh and on a better foot. People will also cut their fingernails and hair and add them to the raft as a symbol of letting go of the bad parts that person is carrying. Many Thai believe that floating a “krathong” will create good luck, and they do it to honor and thank the Goddess of Water, Phra Mae Khongkha.

Attending Loy Krathong is a very Thai experience. Be sure to take a camera and be ready for taking pictures in very low light (evening or night time).
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: Floating your worries away!

Letting go of the past. Sure. Until 20 minutes after the float. Doubt if there is ever a forgetting of the past.

Thanks

Re: Floating your worries away!

Loy Kratong is one of my favorite events. My family and I always make a big night of it.
    Trying to choose just the right kratong can be difficult but thanks to the many food vendors I won't go hungry looking.
    " The present is an outcome of the past which will have bearings on the future."
    Bhuddhadasa Bhikku 1906-1993

Thread Information