PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Our first trip to thailand

talking

I'm an American girl with a half-Thai husband who has lived away from Thailand since he was 2. Last year we made our first trip to Thailand. My husband only went to quiet his mother(who, although 100% Thai, is the most fearful person I have ever met). He was afraid our children would be kidnapped and sold and who knows what else. Our children's doctor, who is also Thai born and raised, told me we must be very careful about what we eat and drink so we don't get sick. So I arrived in Thailand very afraid, very stifled. The more things we began to eat and not get sick, the more we started to feel safe. We all fell in love with Thailand, and have already returned from our second trip there. We can't wait to go back again. Although I only knew "sawatdee" on my first trip, by the end of it, I was understanding and speaking a shocking, to me, amount of Thai. Thanks to this website, I am learning so much. I have paid money for books and software that did not help me as much as LearningThai.com! My goal is to be able to speak fluently by the time I go back next year. I want to be able to continue the Thai culture education for my children.

Vali Guest
    Wow, that is an ambitious goal! Best wishes!

Thanks
    You're not alone my friend. Many of us have fell head over heels for this country. Welcome to the club. You only really know how much you love this place when you start taking time off your busy schedule just to cramp a couple of new Thai words that you just picked up into your head. Or maybe that's just me...

Thanks
    On our last trip to Thailand, my husband and I travelled from Bangkok to Phom Charoen, in the northeast. My husband's aunt lives there. The family had planned a traditional Thai wedding for us there. It was the most amazing thing I have ever taken part in. My husband, who is Thai American, had great feelings against this trip to the "country". He only went to please his mother. After the wedding, even during the wedding, he was won over. Now we can't imagine visiting Thailand without stopping in Phom Charoen. The people there were full of joy, and eager to celebrate, and spend time together. We don't have that kind of community here in Southern California. The Thai people share what they have, which is very little compared to what we have. They gather together to accomplish many tasks. It seems to me people can't get lonely in a neighborhood like the one we visited.
    The Thai wedding made us feel like celebrities. My mother in law said everyone thought I look just like Kristy, the farang singer who dresses in traditional Thai clothing, and sings in Thai. Well, I look nothing like Kristy, but I certainly felt like a movie star. I left my heart there in Phom Charoen. I am off to mail some packages to our family there right now.

Vali Guest
    Wow you are so lucky! A traditional Thai wedding sounds SOOOO great... I hope to be able to take part in one (maybe at a friends or something) someday

Thanks
    My husband's mother has wanted to take me to Thailand and give us a Thai wedding for more than 10 years now, so it was really a dream come true for me to experience it as well. I do feel lucky. Even though I long desired to visit Thailand, I thought I would never get the chance. The experience was very similar to that depicted in the Thai Village Cultural Show at the Rose Garden Country Resort in Bangkok. Participating in it was far more entertaining and meaningful. And our relatives who made all the preparations are still apologizing for how much better they say they wanted to make it.
    If you ever get the chance, don't pass it by.

Thread Information