PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Adopted Thai in The Netherlands!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    My name is Arun van Loveren (Sakda Saeng-Arun), I am born in Bangkok, 26th of July 1984. When I was about 2,5 years old, I got adopted by a Dutch couple and ever since I live in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
    I went back to Thailand two times so far, and next year I will spend summer in Thailand with my brother and my best friend, both are also adopted Thai boys.
    I was wondering if there are any other adopted Thai persons on this forum..
    If someone wants to know something about me, please feel free to ask!

Thanks
    arunvl
    I see that many people viewed your post but none have replied. I guess they were hoping to hear more of you Life than you wrote about. So if you did ot mind sharing, please write more. Did you ever meet your Birth Parents? Do you have any blood sisters or brothers. Do you regret not having known them or growing up in Thailand?
    Many you should create a web-page like Gor and tell about your life...?

Thanks
    Sorry for the late reply

A question for Arun (dunno if you're still checking this forum ): Are you going to asian parties in Holland or have you ever been to one?

Thanks
    Hi there arunvl, I was just wondering (hope you're not offended), do you know your real parents? How did this adoption take place? I cannot say that I truly know how you feel, but I have been in a similar situation. My mum and dad have been divorced since I was very young. After the divorce I lived with many different sets of Guardians. Some were relatives, some were family friends and some charity workers. Quite obviously, the charity workers treated me the best among all my guardians.

Of all the guardians I had, there was one set that I remember vividly despite my age then. They knew of my situation, took me in and after a couple of years, they approached my mum to ask if they could adopt me as they were emigrating to New Zealand. They were English and quite elderly but they were simply the kindest people on Earth. I really wanted to go with them but my mum wouldn't allow it.

They left for New Zealand, and I was left to another set of guardians. Thankfully, the new set of guardians were also very kind-hearted people. Having a rocky and eventful childhood does kind of makes you mature a tad faster doesn't it...

I bet you just have the most loving set of foster parents. By the way, I always wanted to know if Dutch people normally referred to their country as Holland or as Netherlands? And where does the word Dutch come from anyway? From what I think I know, the word "Dutch" couldn't have come from "Deustchland" (spelling?) because that is actually Germany? Hmm....

Anyways, good luck with everything!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Makiy0 @ Jan. 12 2004,02:28)]By the way, I always wanted to know if Dutch people normally referred to their country as Holland or as Netherlands? And where does the word Dutch come from anyway? From what I think I know, the word "Dutch" couldn't have come from "Deustchland" (spelling?) because that is actually Germany? Hmm....
    That's a very good question

I think Holland is chosen more often because it's shorter than Netherlands. Actually it's The Netherlands instead of Netherlands. This name refers to the time that the country was seperated in multiple parts and was called Kingdom of The Netherlands (the seperate parts). The Netherlands is written as 'Nederland' in Dutch which means something like Lower Lands, and that's because the country lies very far below sea level.

And the word 'Dutch' has indeed something to do with Germany (Deutschland). I can't give you the exact reason right now, but I will ask someone for you (and for me cause I also want to know now )

Thanks
    Thanks Tjau Min! Still I think people from Holland by logic should be called Hollanders or Hollish or Hollandics or Netherlanders or Holls or something related. Really wondering where the word "Dutch" originated from.

Thanks
    You're welcome Makiy0!

Today I asked some people about the word 'Dutch' and only a few of them knew the right answer

A long time ago the Dutch Royal family had roots in Germany and that's the reason why we are referred to as 'Dutch' (Deutsch).

I agree with you it's a strange word... here in Holland we say 'Nederlanders' or 'Hollanders' which indeed are more logical.

And another thing; Holland actually isn't a correct name, it's the abbreviation of North-Holland and/or South-Holland which are the two biggest provinces in The Netherlands. So 'The Netherlands' is the only correct name, but Holland is also used very often.

A bit confusing don't you think

Ajink Guest
    Hey Arun how u doing ? dont know if u reading this ...people who like to know abt u and u will get friends here too.....thaichatbox.com just log...::

Thanks
    well, i know some thai dudes when i'm in States, They are adopted too.

Thanks
    The Dutch call their own language "Nederlands" (Netherlandic)and the German language they call ''Duits''.
    But many centuries ago they called their own language ''Diets''. The English pronounced that as ''Dutch" and they continue calling it that way.
    Long ago their was no unified German language. In all the countries where they speak German now, they called them ''Dutch languages'' in England or '' dietse talen'' in Holland and ''deutsche Sprachen'' in the German countries. Only after Luther translated the Bible into German he did that in the variation which was called ''Hochdeutch'' (high German). Now the Germans call their language ''Deutsch".
    So you see ''Dutch'', ''Diets'', Deutsch" have all the same root but by historic development they have come to mean different things. I hope it is not too confusing.

Thread Information