PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Crossing Thai-Lao borders
    Ricky Guest
    Hello, I will be arriving in Bangkok at lunchtime Wed. 4 Dec 2002. I only have 6 days (leaving the following Tuesday)
    I have no visa as yet..as a Uk resident the normal airport arrival tourist visa is more than long enough for this rushed trip.
    I really want to visit Laos and Cambodia. Even if it's just an entry and exit an hour or so later..it's a 'challenge'.
    This site is like none other... so much accurate and down to Earth information that I hoped someone could clarify two things for me.
    Visa. When I pay for my Laos visa at Nong Khai and then return to Thailand.. should I expect any difficulty in re-entry. The 4 Dec visa will be still very current. I don't have a yellow fever vac certificate (for medical reasons). Would this cause..awkwardness.
    The same question applies to the Poipet crossing for Cambodia.
    The second question is...Which is the easiest way to accomplish this between Wed 4 and..say Sun 7 Dec. ? Train..bus..or ?
    The overnight train I see leaves at about 8pm for Laos border..but does it return the folowing night allowing me to arrive at Nong Khai...meet the objective..and return on that evening's train.
    I feel a burden to you all asking these questions...but it's worth a try :) If you can help.. Wooohooo.. Thanks. :)
    Oh.. cost is always a concern..but I'm not too bothered by the cheapest way, just the possible ways :):)

Thanks

happy

Hello Ricky! I just wanted to say that I got back from Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia 4 months ago and tomorrow my dad is coming back from Thailand and Laos because he had to go back for personal reasons. Well, we crossed the Mekong River to Laos. Later on, we just traveled acrossed Laos and we took another boat trip to Cambodia. Some people over there speak Laos. Just wanted to tell you that and oh yeah there wasn't that much trouble for us to go to Laos. Have a great time!! You're so lucky!!!!!!

Ricky Guest
    Anna :) What a nice reply. Thanks my friend. It looks rather like you enjoyed your travels a lot!
    It's Sunday lunchtime here... and I'll be leaving for Toulouse then Paris..then Bankok Mon night/Tues Morning. I'm certain it will be an...experience:)
    Every Country I visit provides a wealth of knowledge..and understanding. I think Thailand/Cambodia/Laos will give me more tham most :)
    Again, thanks a million for replying.... It's all going to be a rush..but one way or another I think I will accomplish all of those immediate challenges :)

Thanks
    Hi Ricky, the stamp you get when you enter Thailand allows you visa free entry for up to 30 days into Thailand, and it automatically expires if you leave before that. There's no question of it still being current when you want to return so no need to worry about that being a problem!

Unless you've recently come from Africa there's no need for a yellow fever certificate, at least officially. I think there's some scam that sometimes happen at Poipet where the Cambodian immigration ask for a certificate and if you don't have one you might have to pay a small "fine" to enter, it's no big deal though. You can probably get round it if you stand your ground. You also have to pay for the entry visa (1000B I think).

The train is very convenient to get to Nong Khai from Bangkok (it might already be fully booked though), but you'll have to get a bus to Poipet. You could also fly to Vientiane, Siem Reap or Phonm Penh. You might be better flying to Cambodia actually if you haven't got much time as Poipet is a very uninspiring border town which most people can't wait to leave while Angkok Wat at Siem Reap is rated as one of the world's most impressive sights.

Ricky Guest
    Mike... A million thanks. I've found the laos/thai airways schedule now for Vietnane..it look the best bet for my all too limited time.
    I think I'll do the same for Cambodia having found a 'description' of that crossing! :) Siem Reap sounds compelling. I'll head for there

Mike...Thanks and if ever you visit France.. well.. ask and I am here :) Ricky

Thanks

thumbs up

I hope you have a great time over there! My dad just arrived back last night.

Thread Information