PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
A normal thai teenager
    Sawatdee ka! My name is Annie Lumlerst, my Thai name is Siriwan Lumlerst and I was born in Los Angeles, California. When I was 4 years old I went back to Thailand and went to school there for two years and moved back to L.A. when I was 6 years old. I would have to say being a Thai teenager isn't any different from other teenagers. I love Thailand and I love everything about Thailand. My parents are both Thai and even though I was born in the United States I can still speak Thai fluently and understand it perfectly. But sometimes when I go back to Thailand I think some people are so closed minded. When I go back I wear simple shorts and a spaghetti strap and I guess Thai people don't agree with the way I dress.

My family lives in PETBURI and the younger people are very nice and cool about it but some adults think it's so bad but they don't know that it's normal here. And when I speak English with my mom they think I'm like a disgrace or something when I don't speak Thai with my mom, you know sometimes it is easier when you say something in English than in Thai. What they don't know is that I can speak it fluently, read it perfectly, and understand it perfectly. I am very Thai, I eat Thai food everyday, I watch Thai soap operas, I listen to Thai music, I do Thai dancing, I play the Ja Kae (instrument) and I know everything about Thai culture. So what I'm saying is, is that Thai adults need to be open minded and not judge some teenagers based on there appearance or how they speak. I AM PROUD TO BE THAI! And that's what I'm trying to tell other Thai people.

GTG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And when I speak English with my mom they think I'm like a disgrace or something when I don't speak Thai with my mom, you know sometimes it is easier when you say something in English than in Thai. What they don't know is that I can speak it fluently, read it perfectly, and understand it perfectly. I am very Thai, I eat Thai food everyday, I watch Thai soap operas, I listen to Thai music, I do Thai dancing, I play the Ja Kae (instrument) and I know everything about Thai culture. So what I'm saying is, is that Thai adults need to be open minded and not judge some teenagers based on there appearance or how they speak. I AM PROUD TO BE THAI! And that's what I'm trying to tell other Thai people.
    Hi Annie,

I guess it depends on your interpretation of 'Thainess'. Is being able to read and write Thai making you a Thai person? Or eating Thai food everyday making you a Thai person? If so, many foreingners are Thai by this definition ? For older person, being Thai might include dressing properly - not to reveal yourself too much? You have to have different manner to be a Thai ? I'm not taking sides, ok ?

I think your old relatives loves you very much and would like you to be as Thai as they can (what does it mean any way ?)so they pick on you ! Well...isn't it their fulltime job?

I admire your family very much to be able to raise you to become just the way you are now. You seem to be a great young women ! Keep coming to this board more often. We would love to hear from you more.

Cheers !

thumbs up

Hello Nong Anna, I live in Colorado and I'm Thai. I like what you express in the message and proud of your parents who be able to guide you about living like Thais. I do understand your frustration and want to add some comments as I'm one of the Thai adult.
    I do treasure Thai traditional style of living especially for girls/women. We as Thai adults do like to see our Thai young generation active, cheerful together as polite and respectful to our Thai culture which is including dress properly and talk politely with appropriate public manner. From your message, you seem to be a good young woman who is willing to learn more about Thai people and care about Thai perspactives. Here in America, kids get a lot of freedom to do and express ideas, which are great. Each culture and each country has its own pros and cons. I am myself bringing up a step-daughter who has never visited Thailand yet.
    She is still in grade 5 and she is looking forward to visit Thailand and has Thai friends. She also loves Thai food and wants to learn more Thai and be part of Thai culture. It's my job to teach her how to be Kun-la-sat-tree (Thai Lady). According to my husband who is pure American, he agrees that in the oldies here, they also taught girls and young women to dress properly, speak properly and pay respects to older/adults. Why and how did it change? Because sometimes after generation and generation, things getting loose up. I didn't mean to preist you. As an insider of both cultures, I'd like to share my point of view.
    Don't be too upset with some Thai adults in Thailand, they have right to have their opinions. If you like Thailand and willing to learn more about Thai culture and Thai people, do what Thai saying "Khow-Meung-Ta-Leiw, Tong- Leiw-ta-tarm" so you can fit in and be happy. Those Thai adults might be a good people for you to learn more of real Thai aspects.
    From my point of view, Bangkok kids nowadays are too westernized and spoied. If you go outside Bangkok to meet real local friends, and learn how they really live, you will find another new interesting point of view and be more happy.
    Keep in touch.
    Mook

Mook- do you ever go to the Thai temple in Denver. Wat Buddhawararam?

Thanks

sad

Umm... my name is Anna. Her's is Annie? LOL

mook Guest

happy

Hello Anna:
    Nice to hear from you. Yes I'm familiar with the Wat Buddhawararam in Denver. I go there once a year or so. Have you ever visited Colorado? What school do you go to? Like to talk more and if you wish to e-mail me anything, you can contact me at my e-mail address at narak_mook@hotmail.com
    I came here in 1993 for Master Degree in Business and graduated in 1995.
    I work here now and occationally travel back and forth to Thailand for both business and pleasure. I quite understand you and Thai teenagers who came to the US when they were young and grow up here. I know how strenge it is when you visit Thailand and things had changed from when you left. My Thailand world in my memory and mind still pauses at 1993 before I left! I have bigger perspectives of thoughts and ideas than people who have never left the country. I see this as our strength as the more you see the world, the bigger and broader mind you will become. I love Thailand and Thai people. I will soon move back to Thailand and settle down. That will be my great reward of hardworking and bring back success to share with my family.
    What grade are you in or are you in college? How is teenage life in LA? Do you have a lot of good friends? I have a lot of good stories about friendships and works in the US. But I don't want to bore you.
    Keep in touch.
    Mook

Thread Information