Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Coconut oil has been branded as BAD. Now it is reborn as "THE OIL" to use.
    Yeows sent an article from the bangkok post I will share with everyone in 4 segments,since it is rather long article.
    BANGKOK POST: TUNYA SUKPANICH
    Coconut oil, long denigrated for its supposed harmful effects on health, is making a comeback, with some Western media even calling it a superfood. Actress Jennifer Aniston consumes coconut oil for overall good health as well as beauty enhancement. It's on the training tables of the English rugby team Leicester Tigers and the football team Bolton Wanderers because of its metabolism boosting qualities which help to heighten energy and performance.
    Dr Narong Chomchalow, chairman of the Coconut Oil Conservation and Development Society (COCDS), is not surprised. After a number of years of conducting research on soybeans and working as a coordinator to promote the planting of soybean and other oil-producing plants for the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), in the past few years he has done an about-face and is trying to convince Thai society to return to using primarily coconut oil, as in the old days.
    "First, it's been scientifically proven that coconut oil is not dangerous to the heart, and second, coconut oil can readily be produced locally," he said.
    Dr Narong and other coconut oil devotees set up their society last August, about five years after he started promoting coconut oil in Thailand.

Dr Narong: Coconut oil helps build the immune system in the human body.

Dr Narong is also active in promoting other native plant species.
    "Besides concentrating on coconut, we have studied a diverse variety of native plants, some of which have been ignored or even forgotten. I am particularly interested in our native banana trees.
    "We have a native plants network. We have so many species, but a large number are rarely planted because they have no known economic significance," Dr Narong explained.
    He recalled an experience working for the FAO, when he went to promote soybean and vegetable oils in Sri Lanka. The Sri Lankan experts argued that coconut oil was not dangerous to health, pointing out that the people in Sri Lanka had consumed it for a long time and did not have a high incidence of heart disease, despite claims by Western medical experts.
    "Their strong belief and high confidence in coconut stayed in my mind for a long time. However, I had the opportunity to do in-depth research only after I retired from the FAO in 1995," he said.
    The coconut tree has been called the "tree of life" because it supplies so many useful products. The coconut fruit is used as a food and a drink, and even to make cosmetic products. The oil of the coconut fruit is widely used in cooking and is also known for its healing properties. Traditional doctors in Thailand's southern provinces mix coconut oil with herbs to treat a variety of ailments. Other parts of the tree - the leaves and trunk - also have many uses.
    According to historical evidence, people in India have depended on the coconut oil for more than 4,000 years. The coconut tree was first cultivated in Thailand and other countries throughout the region more than 700 years ago.
    Last edited by rcalaimo; 14-02-08 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add

Thanks

Re: new life for coconut oil

Never heard of coconut oil. Just coconut milk. The liquid in the coconut is like water. Except for the tast. Wonder where one can buy coconut oil.?

Thanks

Actually Thai people have used coconut oil for very long time but it became very popular in the past 5 years since it has been developed well as a herb for beauty, good for skin and hair, having modern packaging and easy to use. Some brands are quite expensive but good quality - 100% pure. I bought these products from natural beauty products shop.

Thanks

People like to take things to the extreme. Because coconut oil contains saturated fats, it was bad and had to be removed from American breakfast cereals. But because some of these fats are MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) which have a different molecular structure than animal saturated fats, they should be consumed in preference to carbohydrates for athletic training. Blah blah blah.

Coconut oil lends a good taste to certain foods, and doesn't go bad as rapidly as refined vegetable oils. But I don't think it's a medical miracle. And I still like my chicken fried in palm oil.

Thanks

O.K. but who produces this oil. How is it packed . where is it sold other than in miniscule amount for facial hiding. This stuff is that of myths.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lenss View Post
    O.K. but who produces this oil. How is it packed . where is it sold other than in miniscule amount for facial hiding. This stuff is that of myths.
    After Googling Coconut Oil the search came back with 5,260,000 results,so maybe not so much of a myth.
    My wife has the Coconut Oil moisturising cream.

Thanks

When I was on the retreat on Samui over xmas there was a guy there who swore by everything coconut. He even gave a very enlightening 1hr talk on why coconuts are a "miracle food". Coconuts contain nearly all of the nutrients needed by man and is as close to mothers milk as you can get. Like Gkapi mentioned the acids and fats are short and medium chain and are therefore easily broken down and assimilated by the body.

They also are isotonic, so you don't need apres sport drinks after exercise, a coconut will suffice.

They contain growth hormones, and it is for this reason some people believe why man has been so successful, as it is one of the earliest foodstuffs man would have consumed. As one coconut forum (because they do exist I'm told) put it "Coconuts were the milk bottle on the doorstep of mankind"

He showed us the germ, gave us young sweet water, more mature water and finally we ate a sprouting nut. All of the water is gone and that space is filled by the germ, it was very much like the Indian sweet Ras Malai, and very delicious.

Also a handy hint, if you get a mature coconut without the husk, so you are looking at a classic coconut like in the funfair, if you look at the top to the 3 bowling ball type holes, one of them if you gouge it with a spoon or a stick will open up easily so you can get the water. And if you look at the three holes with two up top and one at the bottom, as in "Alas poor Yorick" if you get the blunt side of a machete and give it a good thwack the nut will split in two even halves so you get the meat.

My new super food, overtaking bananas, just not as portable

Thanks

continued:BANGKOK POST TUNYA SUKPANICH

Tropical oils war
    Dr Narong described the history of what he called the "tropical oils war".
    In the old days, Western countries such as the US imported coconut oil from countries in the Asian and Pacific region, mainly for cooking. Dr Narong explained that coconut oil, as well as palm oil, comes from tropical perennial (living more than two years) plants.
    During World War II , the Pacific sea route from Asian countries to the US was obstructed. Many goods, including coconut oil, could not reach the US market, causing severe shortage of important food ingredients. US researchers then scrambled to replace the coconut oil with oil from soybean and corn and other vegetables.
    During the following years, the soybean agricultural sector in the US developed tremendously into a big industry.
    When the war ended, the coconut oil supply was resumed, but, said Dr Narong: "The competition between coconut oil and soybean and vegetable oils was fierce, because it involved huge revenues from the cooking oil industry."
    "To protect their interests, the American Soybean Association, and the Vegetable Oils Association joined hands to campaign against the consumption of oils from tropical countries. It was known as the 'tropical oils war'," Dr Narong explained, adding that the campaign was based on scientific research that claimed the oils from perennial plants cause high cholesterol in the blood.
    "The poor tropical countries could not raise their voice against the campaign. Consequently, around the world a fear of heart problems led to a drastic reduction in the consumption of coconut oil and coconut milk.
    Dr Narong said it was "astonishing" to later learn that the campaign that turned the world against coconut oil was based on studies which used hydrogenated coconut oil rather than the naturally occurring oil.
    "The oil in the study was altered," said Dr Narong, adding that the high cholesterol readings were a direct result of the hydrogenation process, and that the same thing would happen with any other oil that underwent such a process.
    The campaign against coconut oil went worldwide, severely damaging the coconut growing nations. Because of low prices for the produce, the number of coconut plantations decreased and the downstream industry was not developed.
    "Luckily enough, coconut milk is still an important ingredient in our foods. However, Thais are being convinced to replace coconut milk with cow's milk out of fear over cholesterol," he said.
    Worse, agricultural authorities in Thailand and other coconut growing countries, influenced by the campaign, have resorted to importing soybean to produce cooking oil in their countries.
    Yet as time goes by, the number of people in these countries with heart disease has not decreased, but rather increased.
    "We in Thailand import a huge amount of soybean from the US to produce cooking oil. And at the same time, we spend a huge amount of money on medical treatment for diseases correlated with high cholesterol," he said.
    "In Sri Lanka, where people continue to consume coconut oil, the ratio of the population suffering from heart problems is 1:100,000, while the average ratio worldwide is 187:100,000."
    "I feel guilty that I was a part of the campaign to ban coconut oil and promote soybean in my past work in the past, making people misunderstand the usefulness of coconut oil. Therefore, I now I relay all scientific knowledge I have gained to the public," he said.
    He started writing about coconut oil around five years ago, and his articles and books have received wide attention.
    Two years ago, his book Coconut Oil and Health and Beauty, was published and distributed free to anyone really wanting to learn more about the benefits of coconut oil.
    "I thought that it would take time to distribute. However, within three months, a total of 3,000 copies were distributed. We have to publish more," he said proudly.

Thanks

talking Re: new life for coconut oil

Here is a great book on the subject of oil and fat that i scanned into pdf format. The book was out of print and I thought it was necessary for people to be educated on the matter of oil and fat. It talks a lot about the beneficial effects of coconut oil and other oils that aren't so beneficial. I hope you appreciate it, it took me forever to scan.

http://rapidshare.com/files/87860901..._Your_Life.pdf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by judas7373 View Post
    Here is a great book on the subject of oil and fat that i scanned into pdf format. The book was out of print and I thought it was necessary for people to be educated on the matter of oil and fat. It talks a lot about the beneficial effects of coconut oil and other oils that aren't so beneficial. I hope you appreciate it, it took me forever to scan.

http://rapidshare.com/files/87860901..._Your_Life.pdf
    I couldn't view your link ....????
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thread Information