PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Buriram children to be taught how to be Thai.
    Thanks

Buriram children to be taught how to be Thai.

13 February 2008
    Translated From Manager Online 12 February 2008
    The Korat Post

Students In Over 200 Buriram Schools
    To Be CLosely Watched

In a news report issued from Nakhonratchasima Central News Center on 12 February 2008, it was revealed that Buriram's District 1 Director of Education, Khun Surasakdi Srisawantrat, had stated the Buriram-based ministry office would maintain a close watch on local schools, of which there are over 200 in the district, to ensure development and instilling of moral and ethical principles in students, to inculcate love of parents and respect for elders' benevolence, respect for adults, etc. The encouragement campaign coincides with Valentine's Day, tomorror 14 February, which in Thailand for many youth has become synonymous with surrendering virginity to a cherished peer.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: Buriram children to be taught How to be Thai.

Sounds like another example of petty bureaucrats telling people how to live their lives. Thailand is increasingly becoming a ''nanny state'' like some other places in Asia.
    I'm sure children in Buriram are already Thai; they don't need people to tell them HOW to be Thai.

Thanks

I had the same first-impression as Sparky when I saw the article: more Government pushing into the people's life. However, when I shared the article with my Thai wife she had a very different take on it.

In Asian cultures it is very important to maintain the relationship of the family group; Parents will always trump kids (respect flows up). I found myself having to concede the point to my wife that Western Countries have really restricted that flow of respect and are starting to pay a terrible price because of it. Even a seemingly separate event of a child taking guns on a school campus and killing many people can be traced to a behavior pattern that does not respect authority. The Westernizing of children in Buriram may not be in the best interest of the Province and/or Thailand.

In the end I had to conclude that if a Government had to mettle into people's business, then Respecting Parents/Authority and Personal Self-control would be areas that I would find acceptable to mettle in (it is getting them to stop mettling in much of the other stuff that needs looking at).
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

I think it is too bad if school or outsiders have to teach people how to respect their parents. respect comes from home, and if your own parents cannot teach you respect, I mean real respect, not superficial one, there is next to nothing the school can do. school and teachers can only reinforce things the family has laid the foundations for.

Thanks
    Great post, Betti. Respect starts at home. One reason why kids do not have respect for teachers and other authority figures is because they were not taught well. It reflects badly on their parents. In asian societies, the "face" between parent and child or teacher and student is inexplicably linked. It is not possible to separate the two as what one does reflects on the other, although people might be kind enough not make hurtful comments outwardly.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I think it is too bad if school or outsiders have to teach people how to respect their parents. respect comes from home, and if your own parents cannot teach you respect, I mean real respect, not superficial one, there is next to nothing the school can do. school and teachers can only reinforce things the family has laid the foundations for.
    Absolutely-there is also a strong expectation in the UK from parents for the school to teach children everything as both are too busy working full time, which often leads to behavior and crime problems that affect us all.

Thread Information