PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The cheapest rice anywhere in Bangkok
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

With the price of consumer goods constantly rising, people may not be able to buy very much at a market with only two baht in their pocket.

But if they go to Amnart Thongsema's stall on Charoen Krung 85 road, they will get a full bowl of steamed white rice _ enough to fill an empty stomach.

Everywhere people are tightening their belts to cope with the rising costs of consumer goods, but Mr Amnart's two-baht bowls of rice are helping low-income earners make ends meet.

The 43-year-old from Ratchaburi sells steamed rice cheaper than elsewhere between 12.30am and 10pm every day.

He stopped selling fruit six years ago due to uncertain profit margins and now feels comfortable with his income from steamed rice, although he sells it cheap _ two baht a bowl of white rice, three baht for Hom Mali fragrant rice, and four baht for husked rice.

Despite his relatively cheap prices, Mr Amnart said his business was viable and he could also buy good-quality rice for his customers. He did not raise his prices, despite the rising cost of cooking gas.

Saranyu, a 55-year-old regular customer, confirmed that Mr Amnart's steamed rice was cheap and tasted good.

Taxi driver Suban Lawan said Mr Amnart's rice helped his family save money because it was cheap and his family did not have to pay for electricity and water used to cook rice and to wash the cooker.

Mr Amnart's two baht-plus rice is solid proof that Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's newly-launched ''keep the change'' campaign makes sense.

Change is always worth keeping. People can prove it by swapping some small coins for a bowl of soft and aromatic steamed rice at Mr Amnart's stall.

Bangkok Post

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: The cheapest rice anywhere in Bangkok

This is obviously good news though I was a bit surprised that it was not only front page news but it was also boxed with a thick black border. Obviously a slow news day.

They are selling from 2-4 baht a tub. The tubs in the picture don't look that big. Someone was buying a plastic bag full of tubs because one wasn't enough. I buy a bag of cooked rice sometimes from my local shop for 5 baht - enough for three people.

Thanks

I read that some rice traders are hoarding rice, in anticipation of further price hikes. This just aggravates the current shortage.
    It is heart warming to see folks like this out there.

Thanks

I'm not so surprised it was front-page news since rice is a staple food across Asia and therefore an economic benchmark for the masses and a key inflation index component.
    I wonder how market prices are rising or falling for rice tho. In our local market the cheapest rice is about 18 baht per kg with about 10 different varieties, the most expensive being somewhere like 32 baht p/kg.

I understand that in some Asian countries the price of rice is expected to rise because of environmental impacts and is concerning governments. This may be a trump card for Thailand tho, as it seems it's not listed under countries expected to be affected. Then again, it could mean prices for Thai rice could rise cos of more exports and thereby hurt local prices.

Thanks

A 100 Kg of mid grade milled rice sells for around 780 baht. Price doubles or more when its sold by the kilo. Recently sent money to wife's relatives to buy 10 100Kg bags of this mid grade variety. Last year we bought the same amount of mid grade rice for 640 baht per 100 kilo. Top grade thai rice sells here in 50 pound bags. Cost is about $22 per bag.

Thread Information