Thanks

Thai Numismatists.....

I was just wondering if Thailand ever used Gold & Silver coins?....if they did, when were they in circulation last years?...and are they available for sale to the public? and where?...I did not notice any rare coins shops in Bkk. (but then I did not really look closely)...any NUMISMATISTS in Thailand?[/COLOR]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,216 Times in 1,473 Posts

Re: Thai Numismatists.....

Yes -gold was used-the word "Baht" is a unit of weight for gold and is still used today for such

Thanks

Well I thank you for that scant information....But I was hoping for little more like what year the gold coins went out of public circulation?...and what denomination they were?...as far as I know 1,000 bahts is largest paper denomination, and if it was turned into a gold coin of same buying power value, it would not be a big coin.so these last gold coins were they of greater denominations?....and if a tourist wanted to buy a Thai gold coin, as souvenir, where could he find it?

Thanks

Did a google search for Thai gold coins, all I got was sites selling Thai commemorative gold coins, hopefully another member can answer your questions.

Thanks

Just found this on history of Thai gold coins

Thanks

Nice article there, interresting reading, Thanks...So according to that article Mexican silver Pesos are especialy valued by Thai numismatists?....well they are not so hard to come by around here,....maybe I round up a shovel full of them, and take them to Thailand on my next trip, and see if I can make some extra Bahts off of them......just kidding...wouldn`t wanna get in trouble with Thai "Uncle Sam".....

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

You would probably find most old coins hanging around necks as decoration, also as belts that the ladies used.
    Have not seen so many lately, but back in the 60s belts of gold coins were very popular, but that was before the banks made their sales pitch!
    My nephew's wife still makes any small coins, foreign as well as Thai, into jewellery.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

INterresting, thanks. I guess the making jewelry and like, out of money goes way back in history, even in Bible it is mentioned that women`s veils (face coverings) were made out of gold coins-back in 2 000 b.c...I knew a man who was making rings out of silver spoons, but it was not profitable thing to get into.

Thread Information