PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The greatest year
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vali Guest

talking

Going to Bangkok last year is something I will never regret. Though now I got through periods of hating my life here because it is no comparison to my life there.

Since I was only in Thailand when I was 2-5 years old, I forgot almost all of my Thai language and culture as the years passed. The only real Thai connection I maintained in the US was my mom and her cooking! So going back for a year was a wonderful blessing. At my peak, I was fluent in Thai and I read and wrote quite well.

Unfortuanately after only 7 months of being back in the states, my Thai is quickly dissintegrating once again. I try very hard to hold on to it by reading Thai websites and books, talking with my mom and Thai exchange students here, but it is so hard.

I had SOO much fun in Bangkok too! Life was so interesting! Much like Nampueng, I plan on going into international studies so that I can live in Thailand (and other places around the world too ) again.

Not only did I reconnect with my Thai culture, I also learned so much about the world by going to an international school. All of my friends here in Suburbia, USA would be PETRIFIED to walk down the streets of Bangkok at night. They are full of intense fear of others and they don't even realise it!

That's all I have to say for now.

raphaela28 Guest
    Vali, I'm British and I've always noticed how frightened Americans are about everything.

That's why we have this war with Iraq looming - pure irrational fear and nothing else.

As a man who was a foreign policy expert said on the radio the other day, "The only two peoples on the planet who are frightened of Sadaam Hussein are the Iraqis and the Americans".

The US is a culture of fear!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I plan on going into international studies so that I can live in Thailand (and other places around the world too ) again.
    Being an international student is surely fun, especially if you are an open character with an open mind. Something tells me that you are.

I also agree somewhat that many American people have an unusual amount of irrational fear. It is quite ironic though; when it comes to sports, rational fear and caution goes out of the window (see: x-games), meanwhile there is plenty of needless fear based on distrust and misinformation. Go figure...

happy

I'm in America in Wisconsin miss Thailand so much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (raphaela28 @ Feb. 08 2003,05:48)]That's why we have this war with Iraq looming - pure irrational fear and nothing else.
    Without going into great detail speculating about the reasons of this possible war, let me just say that there might be some more complex reasons than fear alone. US media may easily evoke false fear in the manipulative minds of the public, but the real decision-makers undoubtedly have some hidden agenda. It is smoke and mirrors to the rest of us, as usual.

shocked

Hello everybody i'm exchange student from Thailand. I came here 6 months ago.

Vali Guest
    Hey custard, hows your exchange going?

Yes, fear is a ruling factor in American society... the news always shows "health watches" which basically tell you all these things to look for and fear that you will get a certain kind of rare disease...

There was a great documentary called "Bowling for Columbine" done by Michael Moore and it addresses the media/fear influence on people and creating gun violence.

Thanks
    Welcome custard to the land of cheese
    Hope your stay is educational and fun. Come to this site oftenบ่อยๆ. Keep an open mind while you are here. Like anyplace the few who cause trouble are out numbered by the many who are kind.
    บอกหาเราเรื่องชีวิตของคุณนะครับ

Thanks
    I'll be visiting my love(Thailand) in June this year despite the War and the outbreak of SARS. I simply love this country too much to cancel my trip. Moreover if I don't go in June, I don't know when I would be available to go again...

Vali Guest
    THat's cool, Makiy0. I think I am visiting in August.

Thread Information