PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Origami birds gift - bad luck??
    Thanks

Origami birds gift - bad luck??

Hi everyone,

I met a Thai girl the first time I came to Bangkok. She made me this cute little bird out of a 20 baht note. I wanted her to teach me but she refused joking 'you'd make one for every girl you meet' I laughed and agreed. I asked if I returned to Bangkok with little bird intact would she teach me then and she agreed.

Been back since and she taught me as agreed. Apparently if you make 1000 of them you get a wish. I am due back in Thailand in April and have been working away at making 1000 birds (currently at 550!). It was her birthday in February and I intend to give these to her as a belated birthday gift - a wish for her birthday.

My friend asked me if it would be bad luck for some reason??? I hope not!!! Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance guys xx

Thanks

Re: Origami birds gift - bad luck??

Hi gembot,
    I am an Exchange Teacher from Thailand and we just had crane origami lesson last week.
    According to Japanese Legend, the crane lives for a thousand years, and a sick person who folds a thousand cranes will become well again.
    After atomic bom in Hiroshima in 1945, the 12 year old girl named Sadako died of leukemia and she had folded only 644 cranes during the time in a hostpital before she died, so her classmate fold the rest of the cranes for her so then 1,000 cranes were buried with Sadako.
    From that time, the crane origami has become a symbol of peace.

But to answer you a very cute question from my experience,crane origami also is the symbol of wish. When I was growing up as a teen-agers, many girls loved to fold a thousand of small cranes, put them in a cute jar, tied a bow ,and gave to the boys who they loved. It's kidoff jump to the band wagon.

But at this present time , I haven't seen the gril do that amymore, maybe they dont' have enough patiant and they prefer to buy the gifts from the stores :o) Personaly, I spend all day all nignt folding only 999 cranes and gave to the boy and he folded one more to tell me that he loved me too.

So,..........................................
    How about fold only 999 and give them to her on that day ?????????????
    It would be really sweet , i bet :o)

Where are you now, I am in Wisconsin USA.
    Anyway, welcome back to Thailand next time.

Thanks

Piyapo,

Many many thanks for your reply. I live and work in London. I really like your idea of making her 999 cranes, it's very sweet. I think I will do that! I'm not in love with her - we have a sweet, long term, holiday romance going on and I call her once every one to two weeks

But my time is slipping through my fingers and I haven't been making any birds lately! I have seven weeks to make over 400 of them! Wish me luck and thanks again x

Gembot

Thanks

do you have a reference for your knowledge? I'd love to read up on it on the 'net, thanks

Thanks

Just type in Sadako and the thousand cranes. Plenty info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcalaimo View Post
    Just type in Sadako and the thousand cranes. Plenty info.
    According to this comment, one of those web sites I always use is www. sadako.org. You can play games or they have a nice animation show how to fold the crane.
    Have fun with those 999 sweet cranes !!!!!

Thanks

To fold 999 cranes instead of 1000 is a good idea as the Number 9 is a very lucky Number in Thailand.

Nice Story, many thanks piyapo that you shared it with us.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

Here is a nice explanation how to fold a Paper Crane:

http://www.pacificfriend.ca/html/how...per_crane.html
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thread Information