PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
A Couple of Weird Phrases
    Thanks

A Couple of Weird Phrases

I've come across a couple of phrases I can't figure out in the Tin Tin comic book I'm reading.

In one scene, Tin Tin is on a boat dock and trips on a rope tied to a ship. He says:

"ไอ้เชือกซังกะบ๊วย!" Huh?

Right after that, Tin Tin goes up the gangplank onto the ship and talks with a man standing there. He asks the man if he had been standing there for a while, and the man says "ครับ". Then he asks if the man had seen anybody sneaking around suspiciously on the ship deck, and the man says "ไม่ครับ". Finally, Tin Tin asks the man if Captain Haddock is in his cabin, and the man says "อยู่ครับ". As Tin Tin walks away, he says:

"ครับ . . . ไม่ครับ . . . กลัวดอกพิกุลร่วงรึไง!" Huh?

Any help would be appreciated!

DogoDon

Thanks

Re: A Couple of Weird Phrases

Quote Originally Posted by DogoDon View Post
    I've come across a couple of phrases I can't figure out in the Tin Tin comic book I'm reading.

In one scene, Tin Tin is on a boat dock and trips on a rope tied to a ship. He says:

"ไอ้เชือกซังกะบ๊วย!" Huh?

Right after that, Tin Tin goes up the gangplank onto the ship and talks with a man standing there. He asks the man if he had been standing there for a while, and the man says "ครับ". Then he asks if the man had seen anybody sneaking around suspiciously on the ship deck, and the man says "ไม่ครับ". Finally, Tin Tin asks the man if Captain Haddock is in his cabin, and the man says "อยู่ครับ". As Tin Tin walks away, he says:

"ครับ . . . ไม่ครับ . . . กลัวดอกพิกุลร่วงรึไง!" Huh?

Any help would be appreciated!

DogoDon
    Dogo Don ซังกะบ๊วย means "useless, worthless, hopeless or crummy"

Tin Tin exclaims..."crummy piece of rope!!"

ดอกพิกุลร่วง IIRC this means someone of few words, a person who has little to say for himself. uncommunicative. (I'm not 100% sure)

Thanks

From the scenario you described, DogoDon. Tin Tin is blaming the rope for his clumsiness. ไอ้เชือกซังกะบ๊วย! I would say something like " Oh this stupid rope,( how dare you be in my way.)". When something is ซังกะบ๊วย it is no good.

The second question "ครับ . . . ไม่ครับ . . . กลัวดอกพิกุลร่วงรึไง!" Tin Tin is unhappy with the short, one syllable answers that he recieved so he said the man was afraid to loose ดอกพิกุล meaning that if the man was free with his answers he would have to open his mouth wider and thus the flower ดอกพิกุล would fall out of his mouth. กลัวดอกพิกุลจะร่วง is an expression used to describe anyone who is unwilling to talk freely or who is not talkative. There is a story behind this expression but I can't recall what it is.
    Last edited by Nu; 23-02-08 at 06:30 AM.

Thanks

Oh, I didn't see that Surawut has already answer the post. While I was typing, I had to get up away from the computer and when I came back I didn't check to see if someone had posted a reply.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    The second question "ครับ . . . ไม่ครับ . . . กลัวดอกพิกุลร่วงรึไง!" Tin Tin is unhappy with the short, one syllable answers that he recieved so he said the man was afraid to loose ดอกพิกุล meaning that if the man was free with his answers he would have to open his mouth wider and thus the flower ดอกพิกุล would fall out of his mouth. กลัวดอกพิกุลจะร่วง is an expression used to describe anyone who is unwilling to talk freely or who is not talkative. There is a story behind this expression but I can't recall what it is.
    My vague memory about the story of ดอกพิกุล, there is a beautiful woman, married a king, golden ดอกพิกุล falls out from her mouth whenever she speaks. One day she is cursed by a vicious woman to become an animal and left in the wood. The vicious woman transforms herself into this beautiful woman but she doesn't have golden ดอกพิกุล falling from her mouth, she has to keep quiet, so the king asks her why you don't talk "are you afraid that ดอกพิกุลจะร่วง?"

That's all I remember about กลัวดอกพิกุลจะร่วง , any more versions?

Thanks

Thanks everybody! Very interesting story about ดอกพิกุล! That's an expression that a non-Thai reader would never be able to figure out.

I'll have to try to work that into my conversation sometime, and surprise my Thai relatives!

DogoDon

Thanks

Here is the very famous Folktale "Phikul Thong" in English & Thai from the Book "Fascinating Folktales of Thailand":

พิกุลทอง - Phikul Thong

Once upon a time there was a beautiful woman named Phikul. She was said to have not only physical beauty but good behaviour as well. Her mother died while she was very young. So she was looked after by her step-mother who also had a daughter named Mali. It was very unfortunate that both the mother and her daughter were wicked women. They forced Phikul to work hard every day.

One day after the job of pounding rice was finished, Phikul went to fetch water from a stream which was not far from home. On the way back, an old woman suddenly appeared in front of Phikul and asked water from her to drink. Phikul was very pleased to be able to help the old woman. She gave her water and told her to take more water to wash her face and body so as to refresh herself. Phikul told her not to worry if the water was not enough, she would go and bring it more.

An old woman smiled and said, "You're beautiful and kind at heart. Even though I am poor and look shabby, you still treat me nicely,"

After praising Phikul with kind words, an old woman then gave a wish to her and by this time, the golden flowers of bullet wood (Tanjong tree or Mimusops), known in Thai as Phikul, would come out from her mouth whenever she felt sympathy for anyone or anything. Immediately after granting this wish to Phikul, the old woman disappeared in front of her eyes. Phikul knew at once that the woman was surely an angle in disguise who had com down to earth to grant her a wish.

After returning home late, she was scolded by her step-mother who thought that she had gone astray just to avoid daily work. Phikul thus told the whole story to her and feeling sympathy, many golden flowers of the bullet wood came out from her mouth.

The greedy step-mother quickly changed her mood from anger to greed and rushed to grasp them all while cajoling Phikul to speak more to satisfy her greed.

From that day onwards, the step-mother collected as many golden flowers as possible to sell in the market and got a lot of money. All of them now lived a happy lift. Phikul did not need to work so hard as before but she was forced to speak the whole day so that more golden flowers would come out from her mouth.

Exhausted by her step-mother's greedy demands, Phikul got a soar throat and became voiceless. She could not speak for a while. The situation upset her step-mother so much so that she started beating PhiKul, trying to force her to speak but Phikul could not utter even a single word.

To satisfy her greed, the step-mother decided to send her own daughter, Mali, to do the same thing as Phikul did. Mali was sent to the same place as tole by Phikul, but instead of meeting an old woman, she met a beautiful woman wearing an impressive dress standing under the shade of a big tree. The woman then asked for water from Mali to drink. Out of jealousy, Mali got angry and thought that the woman was not an angle so she refused to give any and used rude words to curse the angel in disguise.

The angel thus placed a curse on Mali that whenever she got angry and spoke, worms would com out from her mouth. Upon returning home, Mali told the whole story to her mother. From the anger of telling the story, the whole house was full of worms. The mother thought that Phikul was jealous of her daughter so she had distorted the story and that was why Mali did not meet and old woman. She beat Phikul and drove her out from home.

Overwhelmed by this grief, Phikul wandered in the forest alone. Fortunately, she walked in the direction of a young Prince who was enjoying a horse ride in the forest along with his soldiers. Upon seeing the young girl crying, the Prince asked her to tell the whole story. At the end of her narration the whole area was full of golden flowers.

The Prince was very pleased and asked for her hand. After marrying, the couple ascended the throne and ruled the city happily ever after.

The End

กาลครั้งหนึ่งนานมาแล้วมีหญิงสาวสวยคนหนึ่งชื่อว่าพิ กุล กล่าวกันว่าเธอมีความสวยทั้งหน้าตาและกิริยามรรยาท มารดาของเธอตายตั้งแต่เธอยังเล็กมาก ดังนั้นเธอจึงได้รับการเลี้ยงดูจากแม่เลี้ยงซึ่งเธอเ องก็มีลูกสาวคนหนึ่งชื่อมะลิ แต่ก็โชคร้ายที่ว่าทั้งแม่เลี้ยงและลูกสาวของเธอนั้น เป็นคนใจร้าย ทั้งคู่จะบังคับให้พิกุลทำงานหนักทุกวัน

อยู่มาวันหนึ่งหลังจากตำข้าวเสร็จแล้ว พิกุลก็ออกไปตักน้ำที่ลำธารซึ่งอยู่ไม่ไกลจากบ้านนัก ในขณะเดินทางกลับ ทันใดนั้นก็มีหญิงชราคนหนึ่งปรากฏอยู่เบื้องหน้าของพ ิกุลและขอน้ำเธอดื่ม พิกุลดีใจมากที่ได้ช่วยหญิงชราคนนั้น เธอเอาน้ำให้หญิงชราและบอกให้เธอเอาน้ำไปอีกเพื่อจะไ ด้ล้างหน้าและล้างตัวให้สดชื่น พิกุลบอกหญิงชราว่าไม่ต้องห่วงเพราะถ้าน้ำไม่พอเธอจะ ไปตักมาอีก

หญิงชรายิ้มและกล่าวว่า "เธอนี่นอกจากจะสวยแล้วยังใจดีอีกถึงแม้ว่าฉันจะดูยา กจนและมอมแมมเธอก็ปฏิบัติกับฉันเป็นอย่างดี"

หลังจากกล่าวชื่นชมพิกุลแล้ว หญิงชราก็ให้พรวิเศษกับเธอและด้วยอำนาจของพรวิเศษนี้ จะทำให้ดอกพิกุลทองคำร่วงออกมาจากปากของเธอ เมื่อใดก็ตามที่เธอรู้สึกสงสารใครหรือสิ่งใด หลังจากให้พรวิเศษแก่พิกุลแล้ว หญิงชราก็หายวับไปต่อหน้าต่อตาของเธอ พิกุลก็รู้ทันทีว่าแท้ที่จริงแล้วหญิงผู้นั้นเป็นนาง ฟ้าจำแลงมาให้พรวิเศษแก่ตน

ทันที่กลับถึงบ้านช้า เธอก็ถูกแม่เลี้ยงดุด่าว่าไปเถลไถลเพื่อหนีงาน ดังนั้นพิกุลจึงเล่าเรื่องทั้งหมดให้ผู้เป็นแม่เลี้ย งฟังพร้อมกับเกิดความรู้สึกสงสาร ในขณะเล่าจึงทำให้ดอกพิกุลทองคำร่วงออกมาจากปากของเธ อด้วย

แม่เลี้ยงจอมละโมบก็เปลี่ยนอารมณ์จากโกรธเป็นละโมบใน ทันทีพร้อมกับตะครุบดอกพิกุลทองทั้งหมดไว้ในขณะที่ปา กก็สั่งให้พิกุลพูดต่อไปเรื่อย ๆ เพื่อสนองความละโมบของเธอนั่นเอง

นับจากวันนั้นเป็นต้นมา แม่เลี้ยงของพิกุลก็เก็บรวบรวมดอกพิกุลทองคำไว้ให้มา กที่สุดเท่าที่จะทำได้เพื่อนำไปขายและได้เงินมามากมา ย ชีวิตของทุกคนตอนนี้ก็มีความเป็นอยู่ที่ดีขึ้น พิกุลเองก็ไม่ต้องทำงานหนักเหมือนแต่ก่อน แต่ก็ถูกบังคับให้พูดทั้งวันเพื่อให้ดอกพิกุลทองคำออ กมาจากปากของเธอมาก ๆ นั้นเอง

อ่อนล้าไปกับการตอบสนองความละโมบของแม่เลี้ยง ตอนนี้พิกุลเองเกิดเจ็บคอและกลายเป็นคนเสียงแหบเสียง แห้งไปเลย เธอพูดไม่ได้ไประยะหนึ่ง อาการเช่นนี้ทำให้แม่เลี้ยงโมโหมากขึ้นจนถึงขั้นตบตี พิกุลเพื่อพยายามบังคับให้เธอพูด แต่พิกุลก็พูดไม่ได้แม่แต่คำเดียว

เพื่อตอบสนองความละโมบของตน ตัวแม่เลี้ยงเองจึงตัดสินใจส่งลูกสาวของตนนามว่ามะลิ ไปทำตามอย่างพิกุลบ้าง มะลิถูกส่งไปยังสถานที่เดียวกับที่พิกุลบอกไว้ แต่ว่าแทนที่จะได้พบกับหญิงชราก็กลับเป็นหญิงสาวสวยง ามเสื้อผ้างดงามยืนอยู่ใต้ร่มไม้ใหญ่ หญิงสาวผู้นั้นขอน้ำมะลิดื่ม แต่ด้วยความริษยามะลิแสดงอาการโกรธและคิดว่าหญิงผู้น ั้นไม่ใช่นางฟ้า เธอจึงปฏิเสธและใช้วาจาหยาบคายด่าทอนางฟ้าจำแลง

ดังนั้นนางฟ้าจึงสาปแช่งมะลิว่า เมื่อใดก็ตามที่เธอโกรธและพูดออกมาแล้วไซร้ ก็จะมีหนอนร่วงออกมาจากปากของเธอ เมื่อกลับมาถึงบ้านมะลิก็เล่าเรื่องทั้งหมดให้ผู้เป็ นแม่ฟัง และด้วยความโกรธในขณะเล่าเรื่องก็ทำให้บ้านทั้งหลังเ ต็มไปด้วยตัวหนอน ผู้เป็นแม่คิดว่าพิกุลอิจฉาลูกสาวของตน ดังนั้นจึงแกล้งบิดเบือนเรื่องที่เล่าจึงเป็นเหตุให้ ลูกสาวของตนไม่ได้พบกับหญิงชรา แม่เลี้ยงจึงทุบตีพิกุลและไล่เธอออกจากบ้านไป

ด้วยความเสียใจอย่างสุดซึ้ง พิกุลจึงท่องเที่ยวไปในป่าแต่เพียงลำพัง โชคดีที่ว่าเธอเดินไปในทิศทางที่เจ้าชายหนุ่มกำลังเพ ลิดเพลินอยู่กับการขี่ม้าประพาสป่ากับข้าราชบริพารผ่ านมาพอดี เมื่อทอดพระเนตรเห็นหญิงสาวนั่งร้องไห้อยู่ก็ทรงถามเ รื่องราวความเป็นมาทั้งหมด ทันทีที่พูดจบที่บริเวณนั้นก็เต็มไปด้วยดอกพิกุลทองค ำ

เจ้าชายดีพระทัยยิ่งนัก จึงขอนางอภิเษกสมรสด้วยและหลังจากการอภิเษกสมรสทั้งส องพระองค์ก็ได้ขึ้นครองราชย์และปกครองเมืองของพระองค ์ด้วยความร่มเย็นเป็นสุขตลอดมา
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

Here are 2 photos of the flower:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dok Pigun 02.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	1505  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Thanks djaidee! You are always able to find old tales like this! I enjoyed reading it. Little did I know when I posted my question that there was a whole fairy tale behind the unassuming phrase about ดอกพิกุล. Now that I have read the story, I don't think I'll ever forget the expression.

DogoDon

Thanks

You are welcome DogoDon.

I feel the same.

I knew about the Folktale but never payed much attention to it; now that you pointed out to that expression and Mel giving some explanations I looked up the Story again and I myself will never forget this expression, it will always be linked in my memory to the Story and I will surely try to use this expression myself in the near future.

By using it Thai will recognize that you have a great insight into the Thai Language.

Thread Information