PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Event List Support Data - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Event List Support Data

Naga Fireballs of Nong Khai
    Nong Khai Province

This festival celebrates one of Thailand’s most curious natural phenomena – the Naga Fireballs of Nong Khai. Taking place during the full moon of the final day of Buddhist Lent, small balls of fire rise from the Mekong River and plunge upwards of 300 meters into the night sky. The fireballs appear as eerie blobs of red, blue, pink or green light that hang in the air for around 10 seconds. This fascinating spectacle has spiritual overtones manifested by the crowds and the presence of chanting monks. Folklore suggests that beneath this part of the Mekong River is the spirit world of the Naga. The events of the festival spur the Naga to leave their habitat and join in on the celebrations that commemorate the return of Lord Buddha. The fireballs form steps on which the Lord Buddha descends from heaven.

If you have a chance to go t, this should not be missed. Alongside the fireballs themselves visitors are treated to a range of activities including floats and illuminated boat processions. The fireballs can be viewed from 18:00 to 02:00 but it is should be noted that although sometimes there are thousands of fireballs, on other occasions there might be only 20 or so the whole evening. Despite this, a good time is guaranteed.

Good places where you can view the fireballs include Ban Nam Pay, Ban Ta Muang, Taan Choom, Pahk Kaad, Kaeng Aa-Hong, Amphur Beung Kan, Wat Aa-Hong Sila Wart, Ban Aa-Hong, Tambon Ho Kham, Amphur Beung Kan, Amphur Phon Phisai Amphur Rattana Wapi District, and Amphur Rak Kart.

As the full moon crests the horizon, ruby orbs of light begin to rise out of the Mekong River. As if by magic, they float silently into the air and then evaporate in the inky blackness, a phenomenon that awes and delights observers privileged to have seen them.
    For centuries, their existence was a closely-held secret among villagers living near the northeastern town of Nong Khai. Then, the miraculous event was discovered by thousands of outsiders who now flock to the riverbanks each October full moon night. thailandgrandfestival.com
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Has anyone ever photographed these mystical (mythical?) balls? I've heard so much about them and would love it to be true, but at this stage I'm skeptical. Sounds like another tourist scam to me.
    Ӽ

Thanks

I have never seen this balls in real life, but a few years ago there was a special feature on it in the Nation or Bangkok Post. a couple of scientists were up there as well studying the phenomenon. can't be a scam, it's been going on for too long, with too many people attending. surely word would get out if nothing interesting was happening?!

Thanks

Here is an image I found on a travel-guide website: I am assuming it is authentic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Thanks, but not convinced. Could be anything
    Ӽ

Thread Information