PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Air-quality limits are too low: doctor
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Air quality limits in the North need to be reconsidered because the dangers to people's health are more serious than many realised, a health lecturer has warned.

Dr Pongthep, head of Chiang Mai University (CMU) Community Medicine Depart-ment, urged the Pollution Control Department to review air quality control limits in crowded areas.

He said air pollution in Chiang Mai and Lamphun could lead to problems for the respiratory system, heart, skin and eyes.

Tests are currently under way on the impact of air quality on people's health, with support from the Thailand Research Fund. Running from January 1 to April 3, the research involves Mae Rim, Saraphi, Chiang Mai Muang district and Lamphun Muang district.

Researchers are interviewing people and checking their respiratory system, heart, skin and eyes. Every day 100 people (25 per district) are checked. The information gathered will then be compared with air quality data recorded daily by the Meteorological Department.

At the end of January, researchers concluded that the effects of dust particles, less than 10 microns, were hazardous to respiratory systems. Moreover, many people were found to be suffering from neck pains, difficulty in breathing, red eyes, blurred eyesight, and other indications of poor air quality.

Higher levels of dust affect people who have breathed them in for up to four days later. Meanwhile, carbon monoxide from motor vehicles is one of the main threats to health in Chiang Mai and Mae Rim district.

"Although the research is still in its first month, we have found that the air quality in Chiang Mai has a very negative affect on people. We have to increase pollution controls more strictly," Dr Pongthep said.

Thailand has lax rules for pollution limits compared to other countries, he said. In Europe, dust particles less than 10 microns must not exceed 65 micrograms per square metre, but the limit in Thailand is 120.

Air control standards in Thailand are appropriate for people in a good health, but there are many who cannot tolerate the recent polluted conditions such as hospital patients, children and senior citizens, he said.

Jirat Prasertsup

Citylife

Chiang Mai

The Nation

Thanks

Re: Air-quality limits are too low: doctor

whatever the limit is, it is just a number. in the city I am from, I guess the limits are lower, in accordance with EU regulations. but then, what happens if they are exceeded, nothing, just the media gets hysterical, same as here in Thailand. thank goodness this year it is much better in Chiang Mai than last year and I hope it won't ever get that bad, that the sun was just a faint orange circle on the sky, very eerie, like a scene from a doomsday movie. but I guess the media needs something to chew on, and I see no difference in their reporting last year and this year

by the way, the last two nights we had some rain in Chiang Mai, I think that helps somewhat.

Thanks

maybe that dude should get out of CM and travel the country from one end to the other, when it isn't raining and see just what it really is, It has been here as bad as CM and you can not see the mountains 3 KM away, just see dirty Grey air, and my emphysema is as bad as it has ever been and I am sharing some meds with a sister in law that suffers bad asthma and is frequently hospitalized, and she is young, she will never make it to my age, nor would I had I lived in Thailand for much of my life.

Just like everything they are going to do and fully understand the consequences of no action at all, but not really intelligent enough or motivated enough to figure out what to do except make noise so you will think they are doing something but running at the mouth.

Thanks

sorry it is going from bad to worse in Phetchabun. maybe you need a vacation in Hua Hin or something I'm told Lampang is pretty bad as well. and for one I am happy that generally I don't need to spend March here. media hysteria is not going to help anyone, and I guess we are far from real solutions.

Thanks

FiP wrote: "Just like everything they are going to do and fully understand the consequences of no action at all, but not really intelligent enough or motivated enough to figure out what to do except make noise so you will think they are doing something but running at the mouth".

That reflects a very interesting aspect of Thai culture. In my opinion its certainly not a lack of intelligence or awareness or even perhaps of motivation that prevents the Thais from being more "effective" at whatever they try to do. Their greatest limitation is a corrupt public service which must rank as one of the most inefficient and self-serving in the world. There is an all-pervading culture of inertia in government departments which always seems to get in the way of effective responses to real problems. But what the real underlying causes of it are, I am not so sure.

A total pre-occupation with the outward appearance of projects and activities always dominates Thai thinking and as long as things look good, it doesn't matter if they have any real merit or actually work. How do I know all this? - because I worked in a Thai government department for two years and experienced it at first hand. Talk is cheap and saying the right things buys time until the problem fades away from public consciousness. That is why there are no proper footpaths or an efficient sewage system or a safe electrical reticulation network in Bangkok, which in most other respects is one of the world's greatest cities.

When I was young I found all this so frustrating it almost drove me mad. But viewing it from a distance I now see it as just another example of why LoS is such a popular tourist attraction. Its the difference of Thai culture that attracts Farangs to Los. Vive La Difference!!

But hey! Dont hold your breathe (no pun intended) waiting for the air to clear and visibility to improve in BKK and CM. Besides, it makes for good sunsets over the Chayo Phraya or Ping, while sipping a daiquari on the balcony of your hotel.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Leaders of developing countries often say they "cannot afford" to address environmental protection, because that would slow economic growth. They want maximum economic growth to bring people out of poverty and amass national wealth. Then it will be time to address air pollution, water pollution, etc. They point out that the primary environmental legislation in the U.S. and Europe is less than 40 years old, passed after decades of industrialization.

I think it's very unfortunate that other countries want to follow the path of the West in fixing the environment after the fact. With higher population densities, greater global competition, and diminishing resources, I'm not sure it's going to work this time.

Thanks

As most have noticed, I use Mexico as an example a lot, that is because it seems to happen in Mexico before it happens here, and the outlook and actions of the people are quite similar.
    When I lived in Ensenada first it was almost as bad as here because of the hills trapping air even tho it is a coastal city.

Their greatest limitation is a corrupt public service which must rank as one of the most inefficient and self-serving in the world. There is an all-pervading culture of inertia in government departments which always seems to get in the way of effective responses to real problems. But what the real underlying causes of it are, I am not so sure.
    You have stated what the causes are and it is because of lack of intelligence or pure stupidity to allow one after another crooked grafting politicians to be elected into office, The Simian PM is under investigation, Toxin is under investigation for grafting and corruption and still they are allowed to hold any damn office that they want to instead of forcing judiciary to put them in prison and take their vast money and property holdings, In China now they want to get ahead, they are trying and are in fact cleaning up their acts, even tho Communist, when the head of FDA was caught taking graft, he was taken to court, found guilty and executed in a couple of weeks, so maybe they made a mistake, but the Simian PM now thinks that Toxin was in the right to kill suspected drug dealers by a couple of thousand, and is going to do the same,, why not with grafting politicos?

Anyway, when I moved back to Ensenada in 94 they had made an open burning ban, just like CM has supposed to have done, which I imagine is not in force, supposed to be one here also, but you can see a dozen brush and trash fires from my yard at the houses on our street every nite, and in Ensenada if you started an open fire in Ensenada in 94 the cops were at your house in a damn few minutes and you had a ticket that tomorrow you had better be down paying that ticket or you were in that fine slammer that they will gladly show you the inside of, But here the cops from the police box ride right thru the smoke to get home, not on duty at night, altho asleep in the police because they sleep all day there too instead of earning their money and enforcing traffic or civil laws.
    That shows a great lack of intelligence in the Thai people because they allow their paid servants of public safety to draw wages and do nothing to earn their pay.

Shows a great lack of intel. and a great amount of pure stupidity, to pay money and get nothing for it, be different if they paid no money, but they do pay.

Thanks

I had business in Lamphun Industrial Estate area for years, the problem is worse, not only air pollution, but also many environmental problems have already occured for many years, these problems never been solved.

One reason for not having any action is "we don't want to destroy investment" .

Thread Information