PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Fresh backpacker
    I would like to check anyone here have experiance backpacking to thailand. i would like to know more about the duration from malaysia to bangkok by land. i would like to know where can I visit along the way up. THANKS.

Thanks
    Hi Chiewfung,

I'm not to familiar with the backpacking-life in Thailand, but I really want to try it next time I'm there. That is, I'd like to take a month or two and just go off traveling Thailand.

Anyhow, if you go to www.lonelyplanet.com and click on "the thorn tree" you will be able to access a webboard where people are specialized in this kind of information, and I bet they will be more than happy to share their advice and experiences with you.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i would like to know more about the duration from malaysia to bangkok by land. i would like to know where can I visit along the way up.
    It takes a long time ! To get a train direct from Penang in Malaysia to Bangkok will take 18 or so hours as far as I remember. A lot of people stop at Surat and visit the nearby islands (Ko Samui, Ko Pha-Ngan, Ko Tao).

If you take the bus from Malaysia rather than the train (which is often booked solid), you'll probably have to stop at Hat Yai. Hat Yai takes a bit of a slating in the Lonelyplanet book, but I thought it was ok for a day or so. Then you can either go to Surat, or to the Andaman coast. Phuket, Krabi, Trang are all popular stops, though Phuket is not all that popular on the backpacker route as far as I know due to the fact it's more expensive. Phang-Nga bay between Krabi and Phuket is worth a visit for the scenery there too if you get a chance. Most of the places on the andaman coast are kinda washed out during the rainy season, and hardly worth visiting then.

North of Phuket and/or Surat, there's really not much worth stopping for until you get to Bangkok with the possible exception of Hua Hin.

Thread Information