PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Chiang Mai thai vs BKK thai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Chiang Mai thai vs BKK thai

I would like to begin studying the thai language but all my friends live up north in chiang Mai. Their thai seems different from BKK thai. Is there a way for me to learn their dialect from a cd or computer program?

Thanks

Re: Chiang Mai thai vs BKK thai

I doubt there are any resources for learning the northern dialect. If you are keen to learn it, why not ask your northern Thai friends to teach you.

Thanks

As a practical matter, your best bet is to learn standard Thai. Virtually everyone in the North will know it and be able to use it. When you go there, your friends can help you understand the differences. Most people throughout Thailand who speak a non-central dialect are actually bilingual (or often multilingual).

The Northern thai language is called Kam Muang ͧ, there is a little info here, maybe someone else knows of a better online resource.

Thanks

Just found some Northern Thai vocabulary at http://www.learningthai.com/thai_north.htm

Thanks

Northern Thailand is a great place for learning to speak standard (BKK) Thai. People speak much more slowly and clearly than elsewhere and only toss the occasional Northern word in.

I think you would probably want to concentrate on standard Thai for a few years before seriously tackling one of the dialects but it's great fun learning a few Northern words.

Thanks

It does help to know some Northern dialect. Once after eating at a roadside stall, I asked for the bill and was told sao baht. Not understanding what the lady said, I just passed her 50B and got back 30B.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeows View Post
    It does help to know some Northern dialect. Once after eating at a roadside stall, I asked for the bill and was told sao baht. Not understanding what the lady said, I just passed her 50B and got back 30B.
    Yes, I heard that the first time I flagged down a songthaew, got a little discombobulated, then remembered that "sao" is Northern dialect for 20.

Another "sao" expression I have heard in the North is "farang sao" for farang who never crack a smile.

Does anyone know if that's an expression in more general use?

The other Northern thing you hear all day long is women saying "sawat dee jao" instead of "sawat dee ka".

I asked if I should join in and say that too and was told no!

Thanks

Food sellers will like you if you say: means ¨ԧ

jao is "" - only female use this word

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manahale View Post
    I would like to begin studying the thai language but all my friends live up north in chiang Mai. Their thai seems different from BKK thai. Is there a way for me to learn their dialect from a cd or computer program?
    AUA in Rachadumnern Rd offer standard Thai which can be followed up by a unit of Northern Thai. It seems from their literature I viewed (2 years ago now) that the Northern unit probably taught by explaining the differences. But do persist, I am in Chiangmai and I suspect that you will get better responses using the Northern Language. BTW It's not a dialect, it is supposed to be as far apart as Spanish and Portugese.

The Northern Thai course like all AUA courses is subject to getting sufficient numbers. You will likely need to get a bunch of like minded folk to seek it with you.

Bob

Thanks

Korp khun kop to all who replied. I think I will simply begin with the courses offered here from Learning Thai and Spoken Thai. Only been home from CM a week and I already miss it. Thanks again.

Thread Information