PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Please help to answer some questions!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

so happy! Please help to answer some questions! (Leadership in Thailand)

Hi everyone,
    I'm a student working on a project on Thailand culture and need to know about the leadership styles in Thailand urgently. I have some questions which will need some comments from all of you who are staying in Thailand.
    1) Who do you think are the famous or most respected Thai leaders?
    2) What qualities do you think makes them famous or respected?
    3) What are Thai employees expectations of foreign managers who works in Thailand?
    Please feel free to openly comment on the above questions.
    Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by yuzu; 13-03-08 at 02:44 PM. Reason: More information on post by just looking at post title

Thanks

Re: Please help to answer some questions!

As a Thai I would probably think of Taksin (although i don't like him) but i think he has some positive characteristic of a good leader. That's why there're still many people love him despite knowing that he is involved in the corruption.

2) What qualities do you think makes them famous or respected?
    Taksin, the former prime minister, has an obvious leadership more than other prime minister ever. He know what people want/need (money) and so he talk with the poor try to convince them and help them immediately. The immediate help is never happened before in Thailand. That's why people think that he as a prime minister will be able to help them from their poorness of which they have confronted for decades.
    So, i would say that being a good leader sincerity is very important. Also you have to have the ability to convince people or your employee or whatever to believe in you.

3) What are Thai employees expectations of foreign managers who works in Thailand?
    As farang are the rich stereotype for Thai people, all we want is the equality in the work place. I used to work in an internatinal school as a teacher assistant and have to handle all the tasks including the teaching task. As a Thai we have to work all they long with just only half an hour lunch break. It was very tired to be with the 2-3 yrs old kids for 6-7 hrs with just only half an hour break. At the same time the farang teachers who earn 10 times more that us work just only a few hours a day. I don't blame them about this. But i do blame the foreign school director who think only about the school benefit and take the advantage of Thai people while they're working and staying in Thailand. You know what as a Thai you can not even take the business leave while farang can. This is for me not an equality.

Now i quit and start my job in a Thai school which everybody respect me as a teacher.
    No matter which country you're from you need a respect, which sometimes doesn't have to do with the cultural way. It's just a respect as humanbeing.

Thanks

hi manasnit,
    thanks for your reply. would you know of other famous leaders who are very popular in thailand? thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yuzu View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a student working on a project on Thailand culture and need to know about the leadership styles in Thailand urgently. I have some questions which will need some comments from all of you who are staying in Thailand.
    2) What qualities do you think make them famous or respected?
    3) What are Thai employees expectations of foreign managers who work in Thailand?
    Please feel free to openly comment on the above questions.
    Many thanks in advance!
    You have an interesting subject of study. We can answer these half-heartedly or sloppily. But if you want to get meaningful answers from this forum there are certain things that you should take note of or the respondents should learn from you. We will also be proud then to be cited as a resource for your research.

Questions:

1) What is the title of your study?
    2) What is the specific objective of your study?
    3) Who are your target respondents? (So the respondents can self-select.)
    4) Is your study perceptual in nature? (Because practically all of your questions invite answers which are merely perceptions.)
    5) When you ask question #2 , Thais and foerigners might have different reasons why those leaders become famous or respected. How will you sort them out? What mechanism do you have to do that?
    6) Question #3 is best answered by Thai employees working for foreign managers.

Please take note that the above comments are given to help fine-tune further your research.

Good luck!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

hi marie,
    Thanks for the guidelines. my answers are below.
    1) What is the title of your study?
    actually my study is a portion of a group project on cross cultural management and we have to base our research on thailand. my dedicated topic is leadership. my main focus will be on the different leadership styles adapted by famous or respected leaders in thailand
    2) What is the specific objective of your study?
    the objective of the study is to ensure that readers would be able to understand the culture in thailand for productive work or investments and to reduce any cross cultural conflicts
    3) Who are your target respondents? (So the respondents can self-select.)
    Think the respondents should be anyone staying in thailand and is familiar with the culture there. any comments are welcome as there might be different perspectives. it'll be great if foreigners can indicate that they are not thais when replying to the questions though..
    4) Is your study perceptual in nature? (Because practically all of your questions invite answers which are merely perceptions.)
    you are so right here, but i think my main objective in asking in this forum is to understand how people (thais or foreigners) react to different leadership styles in thailand in order to tally them with the theoritical stuffs in my text.
    5) When you ask question #2 , Thais and foerigners might have different reasons why those leaders become famous or respected. How will you sort them out? What mechanism do you have to do that?
    hmm.. i think i've answered this in qn 4? i believe these thai leaders whom are famous or respected should have did something right and i'll definitely have to find out more details about them other then basing on the information gathered here.
    6) Question #3 is best answered by Thai employees working for foreign managers.
    i believe so. but for foreigners who worked in thailand, i believe you might have some experiences to share where you have seen certain leadership styles which work better then others when working with thais?

i hope that this is really a very open discussion so that i can understand thailand culture better. please feel free let me know how i can improve from here? thanks!

Thanks

Welcome to the forums, yuzu. A useful book on cross-cultural management is Bridging the gap: managing the cross-cultural workplace in Thailand by Kriengsak Niratpattanasan. You can find this in the national library or one of the community libraries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeows View Post
    Welcome to the forums, yuzu. A useful book on cross-cultural management is Bridging the gap: managing the cross-cultural workplace in Thailand by Kriengsak Niratpattanasan. You can find this in the national library or one of the community libraries.
    Thanks for the info yeows. but i've checked the national library of my country and they do not have that book.. I've did a google search on the book and found an article written by this author which is very helpful. i will have to go to Borders or some bookshops tomorrow to see if i can get it. thanks again for the recommendation.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Yuzu,

I am rushing and will be away for the weekend. But I left a Visitor's Message at your profile. I will also give my thoughts when I get back.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yuzu View Post
    Thanks for the info yeows. but i've checked the national library of my country and they do not have that book.. I've did a google search on the book and found an article written by this author which is very helpful. i will have to go to Borders or some bookshops tomorrow to see if i can get it. thanks again for the recommendation.
    If you are in Singapore, it is easy to borrow this book. I just did a search on www.lib.gov.sg. Thirteen libraries, including Lee Kong Chian Reference library, have this book.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeows View Post
    If you are in Singapore, it is easy to borrow this book. I just did a search on www.lib.gov.sg. Thirteen libraries, including Lee Kong Chian Reference library, have this book.
    i managed to find it!!! whahaha..
    in case someone needs to get this book in singapore too, initially i did a search on the author and the first part of the title and couldn't find the book. its when i search under "managing the cross-cultural workplace in Thailand" then i can find..

Thread Information