Thanks
    Thanked 5,084 Times in 3,269 Posts

Choo-choo through Thailand by Stephen Cleary.

TRAVEL

Choo-choo through Thailand

Forget that ear-splitting karaoke on overnight buses and take in the countryside at a leisurely pace on a Thai train

Westerners certainly have more of a love for trains than most of the locals in Thailand, the latter of whom consider such mode of transport as almost prehistoric - then again, I guess some of the trains operating actually are!

While tripping around Thailand though, it's almost a must, at least once, to experience the one-and-only Thai train. Take the Bangkok-Chiang Mai train, for example: even though the train does the journey much slower than the overnight bus, you won't have to tolerate blaring karaoke or sub-zero air-conditioning.
    Instead, you could be having a lot of fun in the train's funky restaurant meeting locals and fellow travellers while enjoying a friendly game of cards and a chilled beer.

Kick back in style

And instead of waking up in the morning to the sight of a six-lane motorway and countless petrol stations, you'll be relishing a beautiful sunrise from the heart of the Thai countryside.

If the North isn't your cup of tea, then head to Isaan, which definitely has one of the best routes in Thailand: Nakhon Ratchasima to Ubon Ratchathani.

The train is incredibly slow but you can break your journey up and spend a night in the groovy provincial towns of Surin, Buri Ram and Si Sa Ket. It's a great ride, on which you can enjoy the company of super-friendly locals, who will, for sure, be inviting you to tuck into a delicious on-board picnic of grilled chicken, papaya salad and sticky rice.

You'll get the chance to pick up some Isaan dialect or even Khmer.

Then, for those who fancy Thailand's longest route, book yourselves onto the Bangkok-Penang International Express. It's a 21-hour journey to remember.
    So, wherever you plan to go this year, make sure that at least once you take the one-and-only Thai train!

By Stephen Cleary Special to Daily Xpress

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

RickThai (30-10-14), Susana (30-10-14)

Thanks

Re: Choo-choo through Thailand by Stephen Cleary.

Glad you liked the story Don, this was certainly a different style of mine to editorial columns!

I've certainly been really busy lately (did two stories for the Xpress last week) and have a new full-time writing job, much of it for TAT (they let me use their photo above). So, that's why i've been quiet recently here on the forums.

I've just did a telephone interview with Nicky the ladyboy air-hostess, so i'll try and see if Xpress will run her story, after i'll post it on thai-blogs.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Cleary For This Useful Post:

Susana (30-10-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,833 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cleary View Post
    Glad you liked the story Don, this was certainly a different style of mine to editorial columns!

I've certainly been really busy lately (did two stories for the Xpress last week) and have a new full-time writing job, much of it for TAT (they let me use their photo above). So, that's why i've been quiet recently here on the forums.

I've just did a telephone interview with Nicky the ladyboy air-hostess, so i'll try and see if Xpress will run her story, after i'll post it on thai-blogs.
    Steve,

How do you find writing with a different style? Is it easy to switch to a bland language? Don't you miss the spicy lingo and all that jazz? Haha!

Good luck!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Hi Marie:

No, it's pretty easy. I've had practice before with this kinda style with some travle blogs. Much easier than editorial column plus if i compare wages baht per word, the Xpress pays much better than the Opinion Page at The Nation.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks

Now getting paid Baht per word, now that's better than getting paid by Baht per month.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    TRAVEL

Choo-choo through Thailand

Forget that ear-splitting karaoke on overnight buses and take in the countryside at a leisurely pace on a Thai train

Westerners certainly have more of a love for trains than most of the locals in Thailand, the latter of whom consider such mode of transport as almost prehistoric - then again, I guess some of the trains operating actually are!

While tripping around Thailand though, it's almost a must, at least once, to experience the one-and-only Thai train. Take the Bangkok-Chiang Mai train, for example: even though the train does the journey much slower than the overnight bus, you won't have to tolerate blaring karaoke or sub-zero air-conditioning.
    Instead, you could be having a lot of fun in the train's funky restaurant meeting locals and fellow travellers while enjoying a friendly game of cards and a chilled beer.

Kick back in style

And instead of waking up in the morning to the sight of a six-lane motorway and countless petrol stations, you'll be relishing a beautiful sunrise from the heart of the Thai countryside.

If the North isn't your cup of tea, then head to Isaan, which definitely has one of the best routes in Thailand: Nakhon Ratchasima to Ubon Ratchathani.

The train is incredibly slow but you can break your journey up and spend a night in the groovy provincial towns of Surin, Buri Ram and Si Sa Ket. It's a great ride, on which you can enjoy the company of super-friendly locals, who will, for sure, be inviting you to tuck into a delicious on-board picnic of grilled chicken, papaya salad and sticky rice.

You'll get the chance to pick up some Isaan dialect or even Khmer.

Then, for those who fancy Thailand's longest route, book yourselves onto the Bangkok-Penang International Express. It's a 21-hour journey to remember.
    So, wherever you plan to go this year, make sure that at least once you take the one-and-only Thai train!

By Stephen Cleary Special to Daily Xpress
    Hi Steve: Long time no read. Do you recall that you still owe me 900 baht from our translation agreement several years ago. Or does the time factor erase the debt?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,084 Times in 3,269 Posts

The post you are responding to was made 6 years ago. To the best of my knowledge Steve no longer visits this Forum.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,926 Posts

I like this six year old 'new' style of writing.

I would love a trip like this. I've always wanted to take a leisurely train trip. As a side note I would hate to escape to a tropical country in the wintertime only to be exposed to "sub zero air conditioning".

Thanks

^

Thais do tend to overcompensate when it comes to "Air".

I don't mind riding trains in Thailand, but occasionally you do encounter the "drunk" passenger (Thais could ride free last time I was in Thailand -2012) which can be a pain.

RickThai

Thread Information