PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Elephant Wedding Invitations
    Thanks

Elephant Wedding Invitations

My wife and I are planning our Formal Wedding in Buriram (Sourthern Isaan) for next year. We hope to make it one for the books.

One of the ideas we are considering is to include elephants in the parade as I go to her parent's house to pay my sin sodt. The plan is for there to be three, five, or seven elephants and I will ride on one of them (possibly in a Traditional Thai outfit (wrapped pakkama pulled up in the back).
    The old people in the village are a little uncomfortable with the idea because they have never seen it done before. Chaung (elephants) are held in high regards in Thailand. They were the ones that already knew one elephant was a bad number because it is a wedding and even-numbers won't work because even-numbers are used for sad occasions. It is not so uncommon for boys to ride elephants when they go to serve as Monks; that is where the concerns stem from.

When I mentioned there were actually marriages taking place in Surin (on Valentines Days) on the backs of elephants there was a shift towards letting the elephants participate.
    If there is any elephant knowlege floating around the forum, then I would love to hear from you. If you have seen some unique ideas at weddings and would like to share them, then I would really love to hear those.

One last thought: if the elephants are going to participate in the parade, then do I have to send them an invitation?
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Elephant Wedding Invitations

Can't find much about elephants at weddings beyond the wedding packages offered to farang couples by expensive hotels etc.
    However, there is the tradition of walking under an elephant for general good luck-Gor did it with his wife when Grace was on the way, but a bit of googling suggests this practice is not just for pregnant women.
    Other stuff states elephants were a part of Thai weddings in the past-but that was probably before cars and a matter of getting people from a to b when there were no roads.
    Googling "elephants at thai weddings" does turn up a video of "Steve and Lily" (Thai) wedding involving an elephant. Not much help, I am afraid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    One last thought: if the elephants are going to participate in the parade, then do I have to send them an invitation?
    I guess that would depend on whether they are guests or part of the ceremony like monks.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Good day I am looking for wedding related blogs that allow guest posting,
    any idea where i can find them.
    I am trying to browse the net but I am having hard time here.

Until then have a nice day!!

Thanks

Good luck, I hope every thing works out well.

Thanks

Re: Elephant Wedding Invitations - I want to do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    My wife and I are planning our Formal Wedding in Buriram (Sourthern Isaan) for next year. We hope to make it one for the books.

One of the ideas we are considering is to include elephants in the parade as I go to her parent's house to pay my sin sodt. The plan is for there to be three, five, or seven elephants and I will ride on one of them (possibly in a Traditional Thai outfit (wrapped pakkama pulled up in the back).
    The old people in the village are a little uncomfortable with the idea because they have never seen it done before. Chaung (elephants) are held in high regards in Thailand. They were the ones that already knew one elephant was a bad number because it is a wedding and even-numbers won't work because even-numbers are used for sad occasions. It is not so uncommon for boys to ride elephants when they go to serve as Monks; that is where the concerns stem from.

When I mentioned there were actually marriages taking place in Surin (on Valentines Days) on the backs of elephants there was a shift towards letting the elephants participate.
    If there is any elephant knowlege floating around the forum, then I would love to hear from you. If you have seen some unique ideas at weddings and would like to share them, then I would really love to hear those.

I realise this post is several years old, but please can you tell me if you were successful and how I can do likewise? Thanks and regards.

Thread Information