PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
How to write ancient Thai scripts with the Computer
    Puttino Guest

How to write ancient Thai scripts with the Computer

Hi - has anybody an idea how to write e.g. using Sukhothai letters, or Thai Noi etc. I'm especially interested whether somebody has developed a font for Sukhothai letters. Does anybody know something in this regard?

Thanks

Re: How to write ancient Thai scripts with the Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Puttino View Post
    Hi - has anybody an idea how to write e.g. using Sukhothai letters, or Thai Noi etc. I'm especially interested whether somebody has developed a font for Sukhothai letters. Does anybody know something in this regard?
    For the modern Lao script, James Kass's Code2000 does a reasonable job and is well worth the $5 the licence costs. (Its Devanagari is also a lot nicer than the Mangal font that Microsoft provides.) The one drawback is that the font is not hinted, so it falls apart at small sizes.

The PhrasongLao font bundled with LaoWord from Lao Software has a fuller set - I believe it includes the consonants needed for Pali - and includes the Tham script (Lao extensions only - you need a different font for Tai Khuen, Tai Lue or Northern Thai) , but its OS/2 tables are not set up properly to work with Windows XP. (They may have been fixed since I looked - I really ought to demonstrate what repairs are necessary.) For the Lao script, you may be restricted to using it with Word. Jason Gleavy's Lao fonts had the same problem - let me know if they've been fixed. I can't say I like their extension to the Lao encoding, but I haven't seen a font that uses the proper analogue to the Thai encoding, i.e. Lao character code = Thai character code + 0x80, as in Unicode.

I think Lao is already supported on Windows Vista, but there was no obvious keyboard support when I wanted it for Windows XP. I have a Windows-compatible Lao keyboard mapping (basically Duang Jan) - let me know if you want a copy. I can provide source - compile using the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator (MSKLC) - or an installation kit if you trust me enough. (You have to pretend it's Latvian.) You need administrator privilege to install it on Windows. There's probably a Tavultesoft keyboard for Lao, but I find using them a bit awkward.

Puttino Guest

Dear Richard,

thanks a lot for your efforts. But Lao, in the sense of tua lao (ຕັວລາວ) I can write already for a longer time. Perhaps, if nothing does work, you can use unicode as explained in this document (prepared by me with Windows XP, 2000?).

What I did mean is actually Sukhothai letters, King Ramkhamhaeng letters, how to say it ... perhaps this:

I hope that the picture shows the consonants of Sukhothai letters, or King Ramkhamhaeng letters, as used from 1283-1357 (and not a misconception of the picture shown).

Thanks

What I did mean is actually Sukhothai letters, King Ramkhamhaeng letters, how to say it ...
    The closest I can get might be the Fakkham script (ฝักขาม). There's a font called Cr-Fakkham that might be relevant, but that looks more like the Thai Nithet (ไทยนิเทศ) script, and I'm not sure it's complete.

A possible complication - depending on how the font is hacked - is the Sukhothai vowels. What are now vowels above and below were preposed, which means you won't be able to use a straightforward mapping to Thai characters.

Thanks

You can Download the Ramkhamhaeng Font here:

http://www.siamboran.net/mos/compone...showdown/id,9/

And here is also an interesting Website worth a look:

http://galyani.panyathai.or.th/wiki/...B8%97%E0%B8%A2
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thread Information