PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
constitutional court
    Thanks

constitutional court

มติชน:
    วิษณุ เครืองาม "หากใครจะยื่นเรื่องต่อผู้ตรวจการแผ่นดิน เพื่อนำเรื่องขึ้นสู่ศาลรัฐธรรมนูญว่าด้วยบทบัญญัติข องกฎหมายใดมีปัญหาเรื่องความไม่ชอบด้วยรัฐธรรมนูญตาม มาตรา 245(1) นั้นก็เป็นสิทธิที่ทำได้ แต่ของให้นักกฎหมายดูกันด้วยว่าศาลรัฐธรรมนูญจะรับตี ความหรือไม่ อย่างไร"

Me:
    Vitsanoo Kreuangam: “if someone wishes to submit a matter to a regional investigator in order to bring it to constitutional court, regarding any legislation where there is an issue concerning its constitutional legality according to section 245(1), then it is their right to do so. But it should be up to the lawyers and the constitutional court to decide how to proceed.

I left out a few details because I'm summarizing a bit, but did I miss anything important on a larger scale? The part I found a little bit confusing was really the last bit about รือไม่ อย่างไร, so I figured it meant "if they would like to examine it or not, and how they should proceed."

one other thing:
    the title of this article is: ความชอบด้วยรัฐธรรมนูญเชิงกระบวนการ
    which sounds awkward in english. I have "Procedures for constitutional legality" just to fill space. Can someone offer a better translation?

Thanks

Re: constitutional court

hey roni, overall i think you've got it.

ศาลรัฐธรรมนูญจะรับตีความหรือไม่ อย่างไร"
    i think this is just 'whether the court will accept the matter'.

i'm in two minds about 'แต่ขอให้นักกฎหมายดูกันด้วยว่า...'. either it is as you say, or:

"but the lawyers ought to give some thought to whether the court is likely to consider the matter"

any thoughts?

as for the title, "Procedural Constitutionality" could work.

all the best.

Thanks

yeah, I'm not sure either actually. Yours make a lot of sense. I might use that.
    Thanks, aanon.

Thanks

I've decided that the title of the article should be "The constitutional legality of the legislative process"... whaddaya think?

and here's a little passage to look at. I think it's right, but there's some nagging feeling that I've gotten something mixed up...

ความเห็นดังกล่าวมีประเด็นชวนถกเถียง 2 ข้อด้วยกัน หนึ่ง โดยทั่วไปการตรวจสอบความชอบของกฎหมายสามารถกระทำได้ท ั้งในเชิงเนื้อหาและเชิงกระบวนการ ซึ่งมีความสำคัญไม่ยิ่งหย่อนไปกว่ากัน สำหรับการบัญญัติกฎหมายในรัฐสมัยใหม่แล้วความถูกต้อง ของกระบวนการบัญญัติกฎหมายมีความสำคัญเพื่อให้เกิดคว ามชัดเจนและตรวจสอบได้ ดังนั้น ความชอบธรรมเชิงกระบวนการของการบัญญัติกฎหมายจึงเป็น สิ่งที่ยอมรับกันอย่างกว้างขวาง

There are two aspects of this argument that are debatable. The first is that laws can normally be examined either in terms of their substance or in terms of their legislative process, both of which are equally important. For legislation in the modern state, the integrity of the legislative process is important for assuring clarity, and can be investigated. Therefore, the legitimacy of the legislative procedure is something that is widely accepted.

Thanks

hey roni,

probably the best approach is to look at the whole article and pick a title that fits well. i'm sure whatever you settle on will be appropriate. i'll just point out that ความชอบด้วยรัฐธรรมนูญ means 'correctness under the constitution', which can be shortened to 'constitutionality', just as 'ความชอบธรรมด้วยกฎหมาย' means 'correctness under the law' and can be shortened to 'legality'.

your translation is good, again the points i have to make relate to a different reading of ambiguous sentences:

มีความสำคัญเพื่อให้เกิดความชัดเจนและตรวจสอบได้
    i'd break it up as
    มีความสำคัญเพื่อให้เกิด[ความชัดเจนและตรวจสอบได้]
    is important in bringing about clarity and investigability (in other words, openness).

for the last sentence: although it doesn't explicitly say so, i take the meaning to be:

'...is something that is widely accepted as important.'

all the best.
    Last edited by aanon; 21-03-08 at 10:00 AM.

Thread Information