PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Translation help: a-bow
    Thanks

Translation help: a-bow

Hi everyone, first i'd like to say the board looks great! This looks like a great resource and a very helpful place.

So recently i've ran into a situation where someone has been saying "abow". I'm not sure how to spell it in thai, but it sounds like "a-bow" or about without t (abou).

I spent awhile searching the internet and couldn't find anything - I think because I can't spell the word

So I figured i'd check here, It could mean nothing but I have a feeling it's some sort of slang saying... if it's crude please let me know via PM!

Cheers!

Thanks

Re: Translation help: a-bow

After saying that out loud 57 times..the closest phrase I can come with is "A - Pbow" อ่ะป่าว (This isn't a correct way of spelling..but it's very common.)

It's a question phrase. Depends on the way it is used. Although they're all pretty similar.

ทามได้อ๊ะป่าว (Another butchered spelling) tam-dai-a-pbow: Can you do this?
    บายดีอะป่าว (more butchered spelling) bai-dee-a-pbow: What's up?/Are you doing well.

The reason I gave the incorrect, but commonly used spelling is because the phrase itself isn't very formal. Probably..mutated from หรือเปล่าว (rhee - plow) also a question phrase.

If it's not the answer you were looking for...I'm sorry lol xD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Maybe it is แอ๊บแบ๊ว = ab-baew.

Ab-baew is a slang term created by Thai youngsters recently while chatting on the Internet. The adjective is a combination of the English "abnormal", and the Thai "bong-baew", meaning cute. Ab-baew literally means abnormal/cute.
    See this thread for further information:

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/show...544#post100544

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

I think the person may just be saying "about".
    Is it while they're speaking english? Thai people drop the "t" from the end of words, so what you describe sounds like the word "about"

Thanks

There's little doubt that this expression refers either to "abou(t)" in Thaiglish or the Thai word "reu-plow" (หรือเปล่าว) spoken quickly.

You would need to tell us the context in which you heard the word, before we could decide which one it was. But its sure to be one or t'other.
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks

Hi everyone, thanks for all the quick replies and help!
    This is something that's really been baffling me for awhile so it's great to get some help!

Ok it's a bit of a weird situation, it's coming from a young child (about a year and a bit old - doesn't speak fluently). Basically she just started calling me "abou farang"

It's actually from a baby who lives in an Akha village - so I suppose it could be Akha too - but I truthfully can understand 1 word of Akha (Oujoo - water! ) so I will be at a complete loss if it's not Thai.

Thanks

Ah well, in that case I don't think its Thai (but I could be wrong)
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thread Information