PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Army pledge: No coup
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

By Wassana Nanuam, with reports from BangkokPost.com

Army chief Anupong Paochinda assured the public on Saturday there will not be another coup by the army.

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said on Friday he had been warned that conspirators were planning to trigger unrest to pave the way for another coup but added another putsch was unlikely.

Gen Anupong said the army serves His Majesty the King, the nation and the people, and will not get involved in politics.

On rumours about another coup d'etat, he said he does not know who circulates the rumours so he cannot assess the situation now.

He added that political problems should be used by using political means, and violence would do no good to any parties.

Mr Samak, who is also defence minister, reportedly received a note pointing to the possibility of a coup.

''Today some people have not stopped. They are still lobbying and meeting ... (They) still believe that another coup is possible,'' the prime minister said after a meeting of the Defence Council.

According to the prime minister, the group pushing for another coup was not connected to the military but was trying to trigger unrest that could be claimed as a condition for another putsch.

However, Mr Samak said he was not concerned because the conditions that would allow for another coup were not right.

''Are you afraid? Those who plan it must think hard and think it over and over again why they should do it, for whom they should do it, and who needs what,'' he said.

''Is anyone hurting the nation? Should there be any accusations now? ... Will there be bloodshed without it?''

He also said that army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda had already confirmed there would not be another coup.

Gen Anupong left through a back door of the Defence Ministry yesterday in a bid to avoid the press.

But reporters saw him and repeatedly asked him about the possibility of a coup. The army chief refused to comment and tried to force his way to his car.

Pichai Lertsupongkit, vice president at Thanachart Securities, said that another coup was unlikely given the present social and economic conditions. He said it might be a rumour motivated by someone with a political aim.

Kawee Chukitkasem, assistant managing director at Kasikorn Securities, said the Stock Exchange of Thailand did not respond to the coup rumours.

However, he said businesses were concerned about the stability of the government with its key figures facing corruption investigations and threats of party dissolutions.

Thanks

Re: Army pledge: No coup

More background:

PM warned of new coup in mysterious note

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej yesterday revealed he had received a handwritten note warning of a possible coup to overthrow his government.

Samak said the note, which has now been classified, was inserted into a pile of reports sent to him as part of the agenda for next Tuesday's weekly Cabinet meeting.

"I believe certain individuals remain active because they think they can still stage a coup and that I won't retaliate because I don't think it possible to overthrow the government," he said.

He said he did not suspect anyone in his People Power Party of being involved in sounding the alarm on the alleged coup.

He refused to speculate on who might be behind any alleged plot against his government, although he said he anticipated more attempts to discredit his ministers, including PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair.

In regard to a book on the September 2006 coup by author and Bangkok Post reporter Wassana Nanuam, Samak said he found it to be "the kind of book in which the actual writer is not the purported author".

He said the book caused many people to feel awkward, even though he understood the actions of Army chief General Anupong Paochinda, who was identified in the book as helping coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin plot the overthrow of the Thaksin Shinawatra government.

He repeated his stance that a coup was no longer feasible and that coup-plotters should understand the new reality.

Samak had no comment on an anti-government meeting being organised by the People's Alliance for Democracy, but said the government would guarantee security and peace for the group's meeting in the Thammasat University auditorium.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday warned the prime minister that his remarks about a coup plot could cause panic in society and lead to instability without any justification for it. "I don't want the prime minister or society to waste any time, now that the political system is once again back on course," he said.

Abhisit said Samak's jitters about being ousted from power were unwarranted, because the real problem was not a coup, but rather the government's lack of performance in getting anything done.

"Instead of sounding the alarm, the government should focus on fulfilling its duties without bringing up some new controversy on a daily basis," he said, arguing that failure to live up to expectations would prove to be its undoing.

The Nation

Thanks

Considering the military's history when it comes to coups, when they say "no more coups", all I can think of to say is,
    "Yeah right!"

Thanks

Frankly, I think this whole thing is an invention by Samak to win some public support.

Abhisit is right-the real problem is the fact the government talks and promises a lot, but delivers little -beyond, of course, trying to secure its own position and that of its friends and cronies.

I don't think the Army is up for a coup right now-it is still recovering from the last one-and, anyway, as PAD has indicated-who would notice any difference? The last coup hardly sorted any of the countries problems out at all-all it did was make a hero out of Thaksin in the countryside.

Thanks

Samak vows to say 'I know nothing' when asked questions by media

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej denied Sunday the he was the one who triggered speculation about another coup and vowed to say "I know nothing" when the media asked him for comments on coup rumours.

He said he talked about the coup plot about his government because he was responding to questions from reporter.

He said the media always tried to try fault with him and always laid traps for him to fall to with their questions.

"From now on, when reporters ask me question, I'll say 'I know nothing'," Samak said.

The Nation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    "From now on, when reporters ask me question, I'll say 'I know nothing'," Samak said.

The Nation
    At last! Truth from Samak!

Thanks

COMMENTARY
    Fairy tales at the top

By Veera Prateepchaikul
    Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's disclosure last week of a coup plot by elements he did not identify but claimed were bent on toppling his administration reminds me of Aesop's fable, The Shepherd Boy and the Wolf.

Apparently, there was no credible evidence to back up his claim of a coup conspiracy, except for a short note addressed to the prime minister at Government House, which an average man would have dismissed out of hand, let alone a man with the high status of a government leader.

Had he been really worried about it, Samak would have ordered authorities to investigate rather than taking the case to the public with not a shred of credible evidence.

The prime minister did say that Anupong Paojinda, the army commander-in-chief, had assured him there would not be another coup.

Whether it was intentional or just a coincidence, the timing of Mr Samak's cry of a coup plot fell on the same day that the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) held a public forum at Thammasat University, drawing several thousand participants.

There is no denying PAD leaders and many at the forum are against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and do not support Samak's People Power party (PPP). But it is outlandish to suggest they are plotting to overthrow his government or create conditions which may lead to a renewed confrontation between pro- and anti-Thaksin forces, justifying the military staging another coup.

Any people plotting to overthrow the government, or who believe that they can tempt the military to stage a coup, are out of their mind. They live in a fantasy world.

The government's real enemy is not PAD, the military nor Thaksin's opponents. The real threat to the government is the "enemy within" - people inside the PPP itself.

Imagine how potential investors feel about investing in this country when, out of the blue, the prime minister talks casually about yet another coup, without any hard evidence to support it.

I can only pray he will never again raise the issue in public unless he has credible evidence.

My sympathies also go out to Finance Minister Surapong Suebwonglee who is set to launch an overseas roadshow to woo foreign businessmen to invest in Thailand. He might now have to work harder to convince them the government is stable.

Aside from Mr Samak's infamous loose tongue, there is a handful of "lightning rod" ministers who appear to be good at making new foes for the government.

Take PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair. His threat to remove the president of the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand on flimsy grounds has unnecessarily earned the wrath of media organisations.

But the most serious potential threat to the government appears to be the suggestion by some PPP members to remove Article 309 of the 2007 constitution.

The article legalised all actions undertaken by the coup makers after the Thaksin government was overthrown on Sept 19, 2006 and after the promulgation of the 2007 charter.

Doing away with this crucial article would automatically whitewash Mr Thaksin and the 110 former executives of the now defunct Thai Rak Thai party who were barred from politics for five years.

It would also dissolve, for example, the Assets Scrutiny Committee and put an end to all the investigations conducted by the committee.

That would satisfy those in the PPP.

But on the other side of the coin, the removal of the article, which amounts to amnesty for the coup makers, would put the government in direct confrontation with military top brass who were involved in the coup.

In other words, the government will unnecessarily turn against the top brass, chief among them Gen Anupong who enjoys a good rapport with the prime minister.

Does the PPP really want to settle an old score with the coup makers and risk putting the country in yet another political mess? Or does it want to move the country forward?

The choice is theirs.

Veera Prateepchaikul is Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Post Publishing Co Ltd.

Bangkok Post

Thread Information