PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
sara -, sara -, sara -, sara -, (sara) -
    Puttino Guest

sara -, sara -, sara -, sara -, (sara) -

As a sort of joke I made Table 2 in the document linked.

This table 2 does not give, for several reasons (tone markers, ho hip not pronounced, mai thantakat etc.), the full range of the potential writings of the Romanized term "Thai".

However, while thinking in table 2 - and the questions, which of the overall 30 words "constructed" may be pronounced identical, I encountered a problem for which I need help (supposedly a native Thai speaker):

About sara ai mai malai and munag I learned something like that these are "pronounced short" but always makes a live syllable.

"(sara)" - is, phonetically identical with sara -
    sara - ande sara - may have had, historically, two different phonetical values but are considered in recent Thai to be phonetically identical.
    But what is about sara -, sara - and sara -? Is sara -, from the length, more like sara - or more like sara -?
    In terms of table 2: Which are terms pronounced fully identical - and which terms differ?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: sara -, sara -, sara -, sara -, (sara) -

except a few exceptions, the only long "ai" sound is "-"
    People drag out the other sounds in certain words, but technically, all the other ones are short (but yes, treated as long vowels in terms of tone rules)
    As for the historically different sound of and , we'll wait for a thai person hehe

Puttino Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roni View Post
    except a few exceptions, the only long "ai" sound is "-"
    People drag out the other sounds in certain words, but technically, all the other ones are short (but yes, treated as long vowels in terms of tone rules)
    As for the historically different sound of and , we'll wait for a thai person hehe
    Thanks a lot. So I did learn the fitting rules (and , sara -, sara -, (sara) - have all the same phonetic value).

Concerning and , I was referring to a hyopthesis expressed by Nantana Danvivathana, p. 188.

Since it may be interesting for the reader, I give the full quotation here:

"Li Fan Kuei stated in his A Handbook of Comparative Tai (1977, pp. 256, 288-289) that in Lungchow, one of the Thai languages spoken in China, words written with <-> in the Thai language are pronounced with /ai/, while words written with <-> are pronounced with /aɯ/. This gives rise to the hypothesis that in ancient Thai <-> was pronounced as /ai/ and <-> was pronounced as /aɯ/. Support for this hypothesis is found in the fact that some of the above twenty words have homonyms spelled with <-> , as shown below: ..."

Btw, this quotation can be found in a chapter called <8.7 Four ways of writing /ai/.> Sara - is not in the chapter so that this is considered as another case by Danvivathana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Puttino View Post
    "Li Fan Kuei stated in his A Handbook of Comparative Tai (1977, pp. 256, 288-289) that in Lungchow, one of the Thai languages spoken in China, words written with <-> in the Thai language are pronounced with /ai/, while words written with <-> are pronounced with /aɯ/..."
    There's no need to go so far afield. The same distinction is made in Shan and White Tai.

Thread Information