PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Stamp Duty
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stamp Duty

Thanks

so happy! Stamp Duty

I'm, just about to get back to the UK after 3yrs and haven't paid any stamp since leaving. How does this affect me? Does anyone know? And what can be done? How much would 3yrs back payment be if needed?

Thanks

Re: Stamp Duty

Depending on how much NI contributions you have made in the past it can be a problem for claiming benefit.
    My wife when she had worked here for a couple a year and a half was not entitled to claim benefit when she lost her job as she had not paid in enough.
    I do not know if you can back pay contributions.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I know that in the past you could pay back contributions, but such only affected your pension. To get any other benefit you had to have enough contributions already paid in the previous year-or maybe it was the year before that.
    Take advice from either the Contributions Section of your local DSS-if such still exists- or, better still, from a neighbourhood advice centre before parting with any money. If you get hassled by post as to why no contributions in the last 3 years, reply immediately that you have been working abroad outside of EEC.
    (Sorry-But my knowledge is probably 12 years out of date-no doubt a lot of change-but some things may have remained much the same)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

You can if you wish pay missing contributions for the previous (up to) six years, HM Revenue and Customs write to people with missing contributions each year telling them how much it would cost to pay any missing years. However, as Khun Don says, this only affects your pension and the latest letter I had from them (in January this year) says they are bringing in new rules that mean you only need 30 years contrubutions to claim a full state pension so if the years you already paid and the number of years left before you plan to retire add up to 30 or more then it may not be necessary to pay the missing ones.

I believe the DSS is now called the DWP, Department of Work and Pensions.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

And for the last part of your question, going on what I paid (#36.75) for 5 missing weeks last year then 3 missing years would cost you about #1,150 pounds.

David

Thanks

I wish I was eligible for the pension, I've been paying taxes all my life and I will get no pension. Is the pension means tested in the UK so if you have to many assets you won't get a state pension even though you been contributing stamp duty for years.

Thanks

No, provided you have paid in enough years National Insurance Contributions (which is soon to be reduced to 30 years) you will get it when you reach 60.

David

Thanks

but you are RICH Paul, Do Ya hear me, RICH, so there fore you do not need that money anyway so why not leave it to someone who is not RICH and needs it.
    Maybe you could live off your Jap girl friend or the Lebanese one..But you do not need to as you are RICH, Paul.

Thanks

I have just come back from the Job center where my wife now has had to claim job seekers allowance and whether you are elligible is based on your last 2 years contributions.

Thanks

That's for the DWP to decide whether your Job Seekers allowance is contribution based or income based. (I've been unemployed much of the last 25 years.)

David

Thread Information