PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Warning: Bun Bangfai Rockets coming soon
    Thanks

Warning: Bun Bangfai Rockets coming soon

There are actually several Bun Bangfai Festivals in Isaan (Bun means Festival and Bangfai means Rocket). The oldest and largest festival is held at the Phaya thaen Park in Yasathon each year. In 2008 the festival will be held from May 10-12.

The reason for the festival is very simple: rain. The participants believe that by making-merit in the Buddhist Custom they will help to provide the rains needed to ensure a successful rice-planting season. The goals of the festival is to see how high a rocket can be fired and have as much fun as possible doing it without getting hurt in the process.

The annual festival also includes beauty contests, a rocket parade, traditional dancing, and stage entertainment.

The First day of the festival is called Wan Sook Dib or roughly translated to Half a day of this and Half a day of that. Sook can mean cooked and Dib can mean raw: with all of the food available at the festival these are good words to know. On this day the participants join in a parade accompanied by colorfully dressed dancers. The procession ends with the paying of homage to Chao Pu. Chao Pu is the Spirit (Ghost) of the City Pillar.

The Second day begins with a parade of Rockets. Some will be transported on trailers or trucks and some will be transported on traditional carts. The rockets are beautifully decorated with gold and many have a dragons head at the top that sprays water from the mouth. As the parade progresses towards the Temple there is dancing, singing, and generally a good time for the participants to relax and enjoy a large community at play. With the arrival at the temple there will be ordinations of young men that will spend a period of time serving as Monks in hopes of gaining merit for various reasons. The temple is very lovely and there are many beautiful artworks available.

The Third day is when the rockets are finally given the opportunity to fly. The God that allows the rains to fall is called Phraya Thaen. The brave men that actually launch the rockets have their faces covered in mud. Whether this is an effort to protect themselves from the heat of the rockets or to disguise against Phraya Thaen (who might be annoyed at having his rains manipulated by men) the mud seems like a very good idea.

The Bang Fai Rockets are generally made form the lower have of a bamboo tree and contain a mixture of nitrate, saltpowder, and charcoal. Rockets come in different categories including: Bang Fai Kilo, Bang Fai Meun, and Bang Fai Saen. Bang Fai Kilo Rockets contain one kilogram of nitrate, Meun contains 12 kilograms of nitrate, and Saen contains 120 kilograms of nitrate.

If every thing goes well some of the rockets can achieve heights of around 600 meters (1969 feet) and the rains will come.
    Has anybody been to one of the Bun Bangfai Festivals in Issan? I know there are actually a couple of them and would love to hear about them.

I am really looking forward to making atleast the Yasathon Festival and plan to stay for the entire three days.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: Warning: Bun Bangfai Rockets coming soon

I have experienced the bangfai festival and it was pretty amazing. One rocket exploded without leaving the ground but a second rocket (60 foot long) went soaring upwards and disappeared through the clouds. It says a lot about the Thai attitude to life that no-one seemed to be at all concerned that a 200kg spent rocket would shortly come sailing back down and to earth and crash (harmlessly?) into the ground. But that's what I love about LoS!
    Ӽ

Thanks

nam phyyng,

I was wondering the same thing. Were you able to see any of the spent rockets? It seems to me that a larger portion of the rocket would burn along with the propellant (it is made of bamboo). On the other hand if the bamboo were ignited when it came down it seems the possibility of fires would come into play.

I should get myself one of those aluminum foil hats for $15 USD to protect myself from falling rockets. These hats were sold when the American SkyLab came back from space and not a single person with this type of hat was hit by debris; of course nobody was hit by debris come to think of it.

That is a great point and I wonder how those problems are dealt with.

(I love that about the Thais also.)
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Hi pclev,
    The rockets I saw were made from 6-inch diameter steel pipes about 10 feet long, filled with home-made gunpowder and attached to sixty-foot long bamboo tails, so they must have been lethal weapons returning to earth. I have a photo of them here somewhere.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Traditional rocket festival

THANIN WEERADET
    Bangkok Post

The annual Yasothon Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival is scheduled May 9-11 when farmers fire rockets appealing the gods and holy spirits for timely rain and bountiful harvest. Here is the schedule:

May 9: Exhibition of Bung Fai rockets and sale of OTOP products starting from Chaeng Sanit Road in front of the Yasothon provincial centre pavilion to the municipal court, and Soeng Bang Fai folk dance.

May 10: A parade of Bun Bang Fai Trophy starting 7am from the Yasothon municipal office to the launch area in front of the provincial office on Chaeng Sanit Road, followed by the opening ceremony at 9am to be broadcast live on Channel 11.

At 7:15pm there will be the palaeng Isan-style set dinner together with cultural presentations, as well as Thai-Japanese cultural shows, featuring a troupe from Shishibu prefecture in Japan. The evening ends with a contest of traditional Thai fireworks.

May 11: Bang Fai Rocket Contest runs from 8am until 4pm. The prize presentation will take place on the same day at 4pm.

For details, call the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Northeastern Region II Office at 045-243-770/1, or the Yasothon municipality at 045-711-397 ext 112.

Thread Information