PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Issan, Learning curve.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

so happy! Issan, Learning curve.

My wife and me decided to take out a long term let on a hotel room in Buriram, which is only 5k from her village, while we decided on our options for the longterm,eg rent or buy. The room was a good size with a balcony,clean and the staff were friendly and helpfull. It was also very cheap 2,000bht per month.

However after we had stayed about two weeks we were being woken very early hours of the morning by a dog which just kept on barking,and was causing all the other dogs nearby to start as well.It would all go quiet for 5mins and this solitary dog would start again,just a slow monotenous bark,bark,bark. This was still 3hours before daybreak when the local chickens would begin their chorus.The chickens I could understand its what chickens do,but this dog was was driving me mad.

On the 2nd night when this dog returned I lept from the bed and grabbed a full bottle of water from the fridge and launched it at the dog from the 3rd floor balcony. I just missed him,but it burst close enough to scare him away.

My wife was not happy at all. She said "That if the dogs owner had witnessed my assault on their dog they would be angry". I said "That if the dogs owner was awake they should shut the dog up".

The next day a street seller came in the bar and amongst other things she was selling catapaults. I bought 2 to be on the safe side.These I duly placed on the balcony complete with a handfull of stones from the car park.

At 2,30 am the dog started again, woken up I rushed to the balcony, no catapaults? In the morning when I had calmed down my wife informed me that the woman owner of the dog was recently widowed and that her husband when alive had treated her badly. She told me that the husbands spirit was trying to revisit her, and that the dog was driving it away.

I have much to learn?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Issan,Learning curve.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your interesting story. We all have a lot to learn when it comes to Thailand.

Thanks

grouchy Re: Issan, Learning curve.02

While I was back in the UK,trying to earn a crust to finance my next trip home. I decided to sketch out some ideas for the house I was thinking of having built. As the land is rice paddy and completley surrounded by the same,with the nearest property 350m away. I wanted to try and make it fit in with the suroundings. I decided on a wide house with a low pitch roof,in 3 parts like some farm buildings I have seen. A friend of mine drew up some outline drawings for me,and I was very pleased with the result.
    When I returned home, my wife and me took the drawings to show her uncle who is a house builder. He said the design was good, and that he had built many houses in Thailand, but not the same as this, he seemed to like it. It was a simple build apart from a large roof span over the central courtyard.
    Then he completly suprised me by saying it would not be good to build this house. I said my friend was a proffesional architect and could do a more detailed drawing of the big roof span if he wanted.
    He then informed me that the skyline of the roof looked like a bird, and that is considered unlucky. I said I do not believe in these superstitions and that the skyline was the main feature of the house and I would not change it. My wife bless her then told me that local people would not enter a house that was unlucky. I was stumped then I noticed that his house with the extention he had recently built and the leanto storage area to the side looked slightly similar to mine. After some consideration and much discusion in Thai or Khymer
    it was concluded my design would be ok after all. I then asked him to write up an estmate, and if I could afford it we would go ahead with it.
    Alas it was too expensive with the rising prises of matierials, but he had a design he could build within my budget, so with a few alterations I gave him the go ahead and returned to the UK. My wife bless her has made some more additions to the house,so of course it has cost me more than I told her I was prepared to pay, however I had allowed for extras, as there allways are in any new build project.
    I have received photo,s and the house is nearly complete and looks brilliant, but I am sure it is just as big as the house I wanted.
    Is it unusual that Thai wives always get what they want in the end?

Thanks

Re: Issan, Learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by pbee View Post
    My wife and me decided to take out a long term let on a hotel room in Buriram, which is only 5k from her village, while we decided on our options for the longterm,eg rent or buy. The room was a good size with a balcony,clean and the staff were friendly and helpfull. It was also very cheap 2,000bht per month.

However after we had stayed about two weeks we were being woken very early hours of the morning by a dog which just kept on barking,and was causing all the other dogs nearby to start as well.It would all go quiet for 5mins and this solitary dog would start again,just a slow monotenous bark,bark,bark. This was still 3hours before daybreak when the local chickens would begin their chorus.The chickens I could understand its what chickens do,but this dog was was driving me mad.

On the 2nd night when this dog returned I lept from the bed and grabbed a full bottle of water from the fridge and launched it at the dog from the 3rd floor balcony. I just missed him,but it burst close enough to scare him away.

My wife was not happy at all. She said "That if the dogs owner had witnessed my assault on their dog they would be angry". I said "That if the dogs owner was awake they should shut the dog up".

The next day a street seller came in the bar and amongst other things she was selling catapaults. I bought 2 to be on the safe side.These I duly placed on the balcony complete with a handfull of stones from the car park.

At 2,30 am the dog started again, woken up I rushed to the balcony, no catapaults? In the morning when I had calmed down my wife informed me that the woman owner of the dog was recently widowed and that her husband when alive had treated her badly. She told me that the husbands spirit was trying to revisit her, and that the dog was driving it away.

I have much to learn?
    Recently stayed in Bangkok,hotel under constuction across the back lane from where i stayed . Pile driver in operation 24 hours a day,was only there 3 nights , you have my sympathy.
    Good luck with the spirit

Thanks

Interesting stories. Keep them coming.

Thanks

Re: Issan, Learning curve.03

You think too much,
    I scare you think to much,
    Do not think too much, My wife has said these things to me many times.
    I believe it translates to,do not worry.I am concerned that if I ask for things, you will think that I ask for too much.Do not worry I will be ok.
    It might sound that I am a born worrier,or a serious thinker,or worse a manic depresive.Let me assure you I am luckely none of these,and also since first coming to Thailand,the country has had a big effect on me.I am much more relaxed in every aspect of life,I do not stress for anything.I am a great believer in "Where there is a will there is a way,I dont do problems, I do solutions",are two of my favourite sayings.
    Sometimes of course I do have doubts,and concernes,but I try to address them and deal with them as best I can.
    I allways spend a month back home in Issan over Christmas and New Year,I like to go to the village carnivals when ever I can.I find them great entertainment.Most of the people have came home after working away in Bankok or elsewhere sometimes for a year.They are happy to be home and have money,they certainly know how to enjoy themselves. The first one I went to I was the only Farang and we had ridden on the motorbike quite a way on unlit gravel tracks this was deep boondoks country.Yes I stuck out like a sore thumb,and found it a little unerving,despite all the smiles and happy faces.Myself and my future brother in law who does not speak a word of english,were by the ring waiting for the Thai boxing to start. I noticed this large thai man drinking from a big bottle of Chang looking at me with a lot more than the attention I was getting from everybody else.I was thinking he had a problem that I was with my then gf, my fiance who had gone off with her cousin.Then he walked away,I thaught thats handy.Then he came back and walked straight up to me,he was not smiling,his face was passive.Now I have a problem.Then he offers me a plastic cup which he had just gotten from a nearby drinks stall which I take and he pours me a cup of Chang,I drink some and give the cup to my brother in law who also drinks some and then passes it to an old man who also has a sip,then passes it back to me,I finish off the remainder and give it back to the large man and thank him very much. Then he smiles big time and walkes away.Yes sometimes I do think too much.
    When I went to one this new year I witnessed the first bit of trouble,which I can assure anyone who gets a chance to go to one of these carnivals is rare.Two lads in their twentys started throwing punches at oneanother,however an off duty cop saw them and interviened.Apperently he told them that unless they wanted trouble with him they would have to do three rounds in the boxing ring and if they did not put on a good show he would make them sorry.At the end of the proper bout they went into the ring much to the delight of the crowd.One was wearing boxer shorts (pants) the other borrowed a proper pair of boxing shorts,probably because he was not wearing underwear.This all being related to the crowd through the tannoy system,they were hysterical.After two rounds they totaly knackered and couldnt fight no more.They got applause from the crowd and some people gave them money,they both left together smiling,probably to buy more whisky. Top man that copper.

Thanks

Very interesting.

Im a cityboy myself, hardly been north of Bangkok, please keep the stories comming

Thanks

Thanks for some great stories, the carnival bit makes me 'homesick' I too am building a house in Isaan and I think you're right with the observation 'do all Thai partners get their own way' mine certainly does. I guess thats what love is all about....give and take!!
    John.

Thanks

blushing Re: Issan, Learning curve.04

Fishing,I had decided to try out the local waters with a bit of float fishing. I had even purchased some bait from the UK,in the form of small green boilies,little balls of paste the size of peas.My wifes uncle came with me. He tops up the family larder with fish which he catches using a round net,or with a dozen small canes with baited hook and line attached which he sticks in the bank at intervals.Uncle Cob was interested in the small selection of fishing tackle I had brought over,especialy the bait which he smelt then tasted.He dosnt speak a word of english nor me a word of khymer however I think I succeded in showing him what most of the items were for.A few other local men came and looked on.We were fishing in one of the sump ponds on the edge of the village.He then wanted to know how much the bait had cost me in UK.I converted the£5 to the 350bht,when I told him, I could tell by the exited talk and laughter that I had confirmed their suspisions that I was another misguided farang with too much money.Who else in their right mind would sit fishing,shirt off hatless in the afternoon sun, using bait to catch 4 or 5 small fish with bait
    which cost a good days wages.When they would have been happy to have sold me maybe 4 or 5 kilo of fish that morning for the same money.
    The european concept of fishing for pleasure,or even worse throwing the fish back.I certainly was not going to down that road,they already thought I was daft. Anyway I was enjoying my self,secretly wishing that I could catch a really big one just to show them.Then it happened the float disapeared I struck,and yes this was big,the rod was bent over,I got to my feet and started to reel it in.I was cursing myself for not buying a landing net.The bank was a good six feet and sheer drop,how was I going to land this whopper? As I reeled it in to the waters edge it surfaced. I had caught a turtle,big small,I dont know how big they grow.Didnt even know they had any. It was about half a meter long and covered in slime.Nobody seemed they wanted to get in the water to retrieve it,do they bite like the snappers I have seen on tv,I didnt know.I was smart enough to know that if they were not keen to go in and get it,I wasnt going to.So I cut the line,hope it is ok.
    I have dug out a pond on our land,and it is now stocked with 2500fish,no turtles unless they just come along ive no idea.So come the new year I am told they will be about 2 kilo each,fish suppers happy days.
    Just a warning if you bring manufactured bait from europe. My mate was searched by security at heathrow,can you imagine the look on the officials face,when he removed three small round tubs of paste from my mates luggage which were clearly labeled DYNAMITE baits.He hit the button and the supervisor rushed over,luckely he was a fisherman and recognised the brand.With the current security in place my mate was lucky not to have been shot.

Thanks

Re: Issan, Learning curve.05

Songkran, The first time I experianced this madness was on my second visit to Thailand.In Buriram my wifes home town they celebrate earlier than Pattaya,and I must say it was fantastic,the whole town was gridlocked water everywhere,those of you who have been lucky to have witnessed the festival will know when I say that you can be wet or dry.Wet can come in many levels.I have never been as wet as I was during those festivities.It was and is fantastic.Party,drink,happy,talcom powder,beautifull girls,mayhem.
    I got involved,as you do, to a trip to Pattaya,with the family of a good friend of my wife,who wanted to visit her,she has lived there a while .Pattaya is the extreme.Not only of Thailand.I have seen good and bad there,but I must say more bad than good.Money is in abundance,as the prices reflect.It is totally unreal.I would always take a friend if it was his first trip to Thailand,because it must be seen.I watched a farang with a large water gun,you know the ones,like a bycycle pump,but much bigger.He was recharging it with water from a big plastic dustbin.He was in his element attacking everyone who came past,some more vigourously than others.If a young shop assistant in uniform rode by on a motorbike she got it.If a large farang with a shaven head and tatoos it was much more restrained."How suprising".A lorry came along selling large blocks of ice,he bought three blocks which he proudly wanted put in his dustbin.He was over the moon with this purchase,saying he had the coldest water in the soi.Trouble was the ice took up so much room he soon ran out of water, xxxx xxxx.Then in another bar a man of roughly forty,had water bottles strapped to his back and a super duper water pistol,he charges across the bar screaming "who wants it!!!". At that moment of time I do not know who his tiny brain told him he was?rambo,dan dare,buffy the vampire slayer,I do not know but he thought he did.
    However on a more serious note,I had asked my wife if her family had gone to Buriram this year for the fun? As they normally do.She told me that because of the current rises in food costs,plus inflation people were not so much incined to celebrate.I think the next year or two will not be easy for Isaan.Any feedback on this would be welcome,but do not quote rich rice farmers,for average small family fields,this will not apply,I assure you.
    Last edited by David_Loves_Ubonwan; 23-04-08 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Please remember this is a 'Family Forum'.

Thread Information