PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Learning English
    Thanks

Learning English

I know this is a learning Thai forum but I wondered if any of you wonderful people could help me with some advice?
    My Thai partner really wants to learn to speak, read and write English, as I am in England more than in Thailand, at present, I'm not much help. Does anyone know of a good book I could buy to help. My partner lives in the family home and does not have a dvd player so the cd and dvd courses are not practical and the English books I have seen are somewhat advanced for a beginner. I look forward to some useful tips.
    Many Thanks John.

Thanks

Re: Learning English

My advice would be to buy her a DVD player,you can get them in Thailand for about 15-20 quid.There are lots of DVD,CD based courses for learning Thai and they will normally come with a book aswell.
    Books on their own are not perfect for language learning as you need to hear the word to get the correct pronounciation,that is why you need a CD or DVD based course.

Thanks

Re learning english,My wife started lessons at the local school,they were not expensive,but soon stopped I think she was embarrassed being with younger students.I know english teachers in Buriram who would would probably work on a one to one basis.Maybe in your town also?

Thanks

John,
    My advice would be pretty similar wiht Pbee
    as where abouts are you living what country?
    because here in australia alot of thais go to TAFE to learn enlgish at night which is normally like 2 days a week,
    you are probably not from australia but they could offer something very similar where u live?

Thanks

Thank you for your advice, my partner is still in Isaan, Pak Khat in Nong Khai province, I have made some enquiries regarding a dvd player and will suggest the local school as a possible resource.

Many thanks
    John.

Thanks

Dear John,

I really admire her effort to learn English. In the US, there are free English as a second language classes at the local community college. It's a shame that some non-native speakers don't want to take advantage of the free education.

Attending a night class is a good idea for her. She needs an instructor to guide her. It is a good investment to by a CD/DVD player. I think it is worth your money.

Thread Information