Thanks

Hill station / mountain resort in Northern Thailand?

I know I should be the one answering this sort of questions, not asking them but maybe someone can help

I've just spent a couple of days in Malaysia's Cameron Highlands hill station, at 1500m+ altitude, and it was very refreshing. the air is always some 10 degrees cooler up there, and the weather is actually very English there are small towns (originally established by the Brits in the 1920s, with lots of local residents now, not just expats), tea plantations, treks, flower gardens, strawberry plantations, enough to do for a couple of days.

is there anything similar in Thailand? any place up in the mountains that is not just a daytrip, but where you can get by public transport, stay, get food, find activities for a long weekend or so without paying a stack of money for some fancy resort? I know there is national park accommodation in Doi Inthanon national park, for example, but I have no idea where - how far up the mountains. how about Doi Angkhang and all the other mountains up here in Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son? do any of the hilltribe villages do decent homestays (not bamboo shacks with washing in the stream)?

thanks for any ideas or info

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Hill station / mountain resort in Northern Thailand?

There are places like that in India too. Maybe only the British do it best.

Thanks

Hi Betti,
    I live in Malaysia. I like Cameron Highlands too, but I think it is over-developed now. During peak seasons the traffic is terrible.

Mae Salong has tea plantations and trek, and you can see cherry blossom in January. Nothing much to do at night, though...

Thanks

Doi Khuntan National Park has nice bungalows that are reasonably priced.

Ive only been there for a day trip so far, though.

Thanks

Khengsiong, I don't know about peak season, now it was pleasant. only a handful of tourists, hardly any cars.
    and anyway, I can't really complain about tourists as I am one of them, right?

I don't care about nightlife (more about proper hot showers and maybe internet )

Billk I will check that out. thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 1,044 Posts

Now I am getting some ideas for my next holiday. Thanks for the tips.
    I value informed opinion, not opinion that stems from nothing but attitude. The latter is the depth of ignorance.

Thanks

Why not head for Khuntan on a day off and scope it out?

A bit over a hour train trip from Chiang Mai, then a half hour walk up the hill gets you to the park entrance where there's a nice cafe and manicured lawns.

If you made an early enough start you could probably walk to the top of the mountain and back in a day trip but I'm sure staying a few days would be better. There are lots of other walks in the park too, including some waterfalls.

Thanks

> A bit over a hour train trip from Chiang Mai, then a half hour walk up the hill gets you to the park entrance where there's a nice cafe and manicured lawns.

I am definitely NOT walking uphill in 100 degrees fahrenheit (39 degrees celsius).
    sounds like a good idea for the cooler seasons. have been hoping for something with more altitude to escape the heat (doesn't sound very high up if it's so near the train line). maybe I should just ride up Inthanon and give that a try. I know for sure that it doesn't even help to go up Doi Suthep in this kind of weather. Doi Pui, yes. but the only residence up there belongs to the royal family.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I am definitely NOT walking uphill in 100 degrees fahrenheit (39 degrees celsius).
    sounds like a good idea for the cooler seasons. .
    Oh yes, I had forgotten about that minor detail.

I went there last November when cool season had just begun and the weather was perfect then.

Thread Information