PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Isaan dogs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Isaan dogs

Thanks

My Isaan dogs

My wife has two dogs in our home,just outside Surin. They are her "bodyguards" and do what most Thai dogs do best...bark.
    Coming from america,I was not quite ready for Thai dogs.They are ,for the most part, not teated as "pets" and have to hussle for the food they eat. Street dogs are the worst,many having health problems,to put it mildly
    Our dogs,Snow and Litton are well cared for and eat rice with the family ,daily. My wife says Snow thinks he is a person and is "very handsome and clean"
    Last week Snow took a trot into the village and killed 8 ducks of a family there.
    It cost us 1000 bt to "save his life" and my wife being who she is,got the ducks too the whole family had a "duck feed" that night and Snow is now on the end of a short chain but alive and barking.
    My wife's attitude on this was" dog son want to feed Momma me"
    I just love Thailand and can't wait for October when I'll return
    Any other "pet" stories out there?
    Deesurin

Thanks

Re: My Isaan dogs

I would put up with a barking dog for about 15 minutes and then it would stop, either my dog or someone Else's, But my dogs never bark as they are taught not to and it is easy to permanently stop neighbors dogs from barking.

But seems you are lucky that you still have the dogs as the ISSAN folks really prefer it to Beef or Pork.
    There is a guy with a pickup with a cage built on the back and he comes thru our village every week and trades a 5 gallon plastic bucket for a dog, and always folks trading and he will have a good load then heads for ISSAN and sells them for slaughter.

Thanks

My boyfriend lives in Nongkhai, Phon Phisai. His ailing mother got a puppy many months ago, was given by someone around the neighbourhood. Unfortunately, my boyfriend doesn't like the thought of rearing dogs very much, cos if any of you realised, some Isaan people are dog-meat lovers. Needless to say, my boyfriend is one of them, he's ever tasted dog meat, and of course I don't and I never will. Never tried to talk him out of eating dog meat cos I thought it might be some culture-thingy that might take me a hundred years later to get used to.

And so back to the puppy, his mother loves that puppy so much, she's kept it till now. One problem is, this puppy wails...YES, I mean REALLY WAILING like nobody's business in the middle of the night, and it's the only dog around the neighbourhood that howls and wails every night. I was there last Dec so I totally know how my boyfriend feels, he even mentioned before that if the dog ever gets into his nerves, he might just cut it up and eat it irregardless of his mother's feelings. It's really a bother when dogs create a commotion in the wee hours of the night, moreover, at a province where people have to wake up very early to got to the rice field. I wonder how they sleep through, I CAN'T! >.<

จุดแรกคือการพบ จุดจบคือการจาก..
    มีรักต้องพราก มีจากต้องมีเจอ..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

[quote=jas_dekdee;134837] Needless to say, my boyfriend is one of them, he's ever tasted dog meat, and of course I don't and I never will.Never tried to talk him out of eating dog meat cos I thought it might be some culture-thingy that might take me a hundred years later to get used to.

Does your boyfriend eating dog meat bother you so much? I am thinking more along the same thought of Muslims getting offended when they dine on the same table where pork is served. If yes, then there might be a need for you to talk him out of it, or to avoid to be with him when he is eating it. Otherwise, you wouldn't even recognize it if it was served and you're not told what it was!

It's really a bother when dogs create a commotion in the wee hours of the night, moreover, at a province where people have to wake up very early to got to the rice field. I wonder how they sleep through, I CAN'T! >.<
    Haha! They must have already grown familiar with the noise; they must have acquired some kind of "immunity". I lived near a railway station where the ground shook like there was an earthquake whenever a train came. The first few nights I hardly slept. But after a week, I learned to sleep like a log. When my friends spent the weekend with me, they would wake up the following morning with dark circles around their eyes, and I would be fresh as a daisy! LOL, I couldn't hear the noise anymore.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    I would put up with a barking dog for about 15 minutes and then it would stop, either my dog or someone Else's, But my dogs never bark as they are taught not to and it is easy to permanently stop neighbors dogs from barking.

But seems you are lucky that you still have the dogs as the ISSAN folks really prefer it to Beef or Pork.
    There is a guy with a pickup with a cage built on the back and he comes thru our village every week and trades a 5 gallon plastic bucket for a dog, and always folks trading and he will have a good load then heads for ISSAN and sells them for slaughter.
    Yea I've see the "meat wagon" drive by our village.At first I thought it was a "dog catcher" of some kind .......not until my wife explained "what" kind but I'm assured "my family" doesn't eat dog....at least when I'm around.
    With 2552 years of history,who am I to judge ??

Thanks

Any other "pet" stories out there?
    I'll jump in with a cat story. My Thai family has an 8 year old cat named Lucky. He's a siamese cat by breed...in addition to location - ha! He is the most spoiled cat. I am a huge cat lover and spoil two at my home here in the US, but this cat is even more so. He walks on a leash and goes with my thai family everywhere. My brother in law worked for a while in a cannery in Songkhla and brought him gourmet cat food on a regular basis. We took a road trip to Hadyai one year (with many and various stops along the way as trips go) and the cat rode with us on his special pillow. In the back of the pick up truck was a tire filled with sand to serve as his litter box. Every stop we made, Lucky was shown to his litter box and then we purchased some great food delicacy for him. I have the funniest picture (but unfortunately not handy) of Khun Paw, Khun Mae, Lucky, and I at a restaurant on the beach in Songkhla each with our own coconut drink -- Lucky, too!

I think Lucky filled the empty house for Khun Mae and Khun Paw after everyone else grew up and moved out. Their relationship is actually very sweet.

Thanks

[quote=Marie;134847]
    Quote Originally Posted by jas_dekdee View Post
    Does your boyfriend eating dog meat bother you so much? I am thinking more along the same thought of Muslims getting offended when they dine on the same table where pork is served. If yes, then there might be a need for you to talk him out of it, or to avoid to be with him when he is eating it. Otherwise, you wouldn't even recognize it if it was served and you're not told what it was!
    Hhahaa, I wasn't really very offended by it. His friends urged me to try abit but I rejected politely, and he claimed that I'll regret it if I didn't, HAHA! I think it's sorta easy to differentiate between dog meat and other meats? When cooked, dog meat looks abit reddish brown, a tad different from pork. Probably unable to spot it if it's eaten raw like the "Goy Neua" those Isaan people love to eat "Goy Neua", they always pack abit to the rice field and eaten with sticky rice.

Thanks

[quote=Marie;134847]
    Quote Originally Posted by jas_dekdee View Post
    Haha! They must have already grown familiar with the noise; they must have acquired some kind of "immunity". I lived near a railway station where the ground shook like there was an earthquake whenever a train came. The first few nights I hardly slept. But after a week, I learned to sleep like a log. When my friends spent the weekend with me, they would wake up the following morning with dark circles around their eyes, and I would be fresh as a daisy! LOL, I couldn't hear the noise anymore.
    Aww man, I'm a light-sleeper! During those nights at Phon Phisai, Chum Chaang district, I had to plug in my MD when I sleep. And, I'm not the only one bothered by the dogs' howls, my boyfriend too ( which is why he had that thought of killing n eat it. -_- ).

Thanks

Hi
    I`ve tried all sorts of meat and the worst tasting meat is from a carnivore.
    Always go for veggie animals.
    Anyhow, I have a great respect for my pets/animals and they have for me and unless they are prepared to eat me,I am not in the slightest tempted.
    But as Deesurin says "2552 years of history" etc.

Thanks

Don't just love him, but show him

Thread Information