PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What is this called?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

so happy! What is this called?

Hi Guys

According to wikipedia the headgear in my photo is called "pakama" anyone know how to spell this in Thai? The karaoke spelling doesn't help me to know the pronunciation of the word at all (long or short vowels, tone, could the initial consonant be etc.......) nor help with further google research.

Good excuse for me to show a new photo off too
    Thanks guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: What is this called?

What's that white mark on his left cheek?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    What's that white mark on his left cheek?
    The photo was taken at local Songkran celebrations. The mark on his cheek is chalk – Թ;ͧ-it is very common at songkran having originated in the chalk used by monks to mark blessings.

Thanks

Just found the answer to my own question although the middle syllable isn't pronounced as it is spelled in Thai (ie: not pronounced the same as "white" - seems it sounds more like )

The word is - Ң

Last edited by guava; 30-04-08 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo and extra info

Thanks

hahaha I'm late then !! ^^'

Thanks

When I lived in Isaan most men in the village wore a phakomaa around their waist like a skirt as normal every-day clothing, and so did I a lot of the time. It was normally wrapped around the waist and tied at the middle with a special half-knot and was much more comfortable than trousers. It had many uses, including a head-cloth (as in the picture above), a carry-bag, a hammock, a sun-shade, a towel and on one memorable occasion something to frantically stuff into the hole of a badly leaking boat in the middle of Lake Ubolratana!

I have often wondered at the way this word is spelt in Thai, as the literal meaning seems to be "cloth for coming in". Perhaps it means "cloth for wearing in the house"?
    Ӽ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    I have often wondered at the way this word is spelt in Thai, as the literal meaning seems to be "cloth for coming in". Perhaps it means "cloth for wearing in the house"?
    (paa)= cloth
    (kao but sounded as ka) = white (not "to enter")

(mar) = horse (not "to come")

but I still have no idea why it is called that
    Last edited by guava; 01-05-08 at 06:15 AM. Reason: added english transcription

Thanks

Ң comes from a Persain word 'kamar' band, a band worn at the waist. Thai men use it around the waist or wrap around the head. It has multi purpose uses from protecting the wearer from the sun, wiping the sweat off the face, to using it as a baby cradle. An evidence that Thai men were wearing paa khao maa since the era of Chiang san is documented in temple mural at Wat Bhumin in Nan province. The term paa khao maa is relatively new. Previously it is called paa kian aew = cloth wrapped around the waist.

Thanks

In Thai, we pronounce it "Paa-Kao-Ma". We pronounce it as the way it's written, Guava. Some people say "Paa-Kama" because it's easier. Just like when you say "Lemme" instead of "Let me".
    Don't just love him, but show him

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nu View Post
    Ң comes from a Persain word 'kamar' band, a band worn at the waist.
    In English we have the word "cummerbund" which is a decorative cloth worn around the waist as part of male evening dress, so I guess this maybe has the same origins. Still doesnt explain the Thai spelling though.

Thuggie, I understand that the "correct" pronunciation would be "kao", however I asked 5 friends to pronounce the word and they all pronounced the middle syllable as "ka". Guess I have lazy friends

Thread Information