PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Giant three headed elephant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

talking

The Erawan Museum in Samut Prakan (our province) is now open for a preview. Nine years in the making, it will officially be opened at the end of the year on the King's birthday.

If you ever drive out of Bangkok along the old Sukhumwit highway, you won't fail to notice this massive 43 metre high, three-headed elephant. Originally they wanted it to be 70 storeys high but in the end they decided to settle for a mere equivalent of a 14 storey building.

Nevertheless, the results are pretty amazing. The inside of the base has some really beautiful artwork and the basement holds a museum of antiquities.

You can even ascend up one of the legs of the elephant in a lift to the very top. Here you have a fine view of the surrounding landscape and the gardens down below.

The cost of entry is 150 baht for adults and 50 baht for children. The entry price may seem steep (Thais pay the same price) but when you consider how many millions it cost to build then you will understand why. This is more a labour of love than a way to make money.

Thanks
    Very interesting place! Feel like making my way there immediately!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Makiy0 @ Aug. 11 2003,20:31)]Feel like making my way there immediately!
    If you do, don't forget to come and visit us as we are just a few kilometres further on!

Thanks
    hmm...i'm never really into visiting places of interest while I travel to Thailand. But this museum really seems great..will make it a point to visit on my next trip..

Thanks
    hey when it was it built, my uncle use to live along that highway and he doesn't remember the museum

Thanks
    I along with my wife and daughter will be visiting family in Samutprakarn in the new year and will visit the museum,I have often passed the giant Elephant and each time my wife has"wayed".We will be checking on the progress of our house which is being built in the new developement near the hospital also.
    Mat.

Thanks
    Another place to visit added to my list.
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

LaoKittyGurl215 Guest
    i thought 3-headed elephant was from laos then why do thai ppl have it?

Thanks

talking

I really like those pictures, wish I was in Thailand.

talking

Pls post the exact location or on which highway?
    TQ

Thread Information