PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Minister discovers full moon, seeks a patent
    Thanks

What next, genius? Patent "Tom Yum Kung"?
    By Supapong Chaolan and Kultida Samabuddhi

Commerce Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Mingkwan Saengsuwan said on Sunday he plans to patent the full moon party — an idea which an intellectual property law expert calls "impractical".

Mr Mingkwan said he had instructed his officials to patent the full moon party, to prevent other countries from copying Thailand's famous festival.

The all-night beach bash is held each full moon on the tourist island of Koh Phangan, off Surat Thani province. The party draws large numbers of young foreign tourists - as well as drug sellers and users.

The idea of copyrighting the full moon party, the minister said, came to him after he learned that Singapore had organised a similar party on its artificial island of Sentosa.

Besides seeking to protect the Thai party's name from commercial use in foreign countries, the ministry would also promote the full moon party as a "selling point" while promoting Thai tourist attractions abroad, Mr Mingkwan said during a meeting with members of Surat Thani's chamber of commerce. But intellectual property law expert Jade Donavanik said the minister's idea was impractical.

"Not everything can be patented," he said, adding that under intellectual property law, objects available for protection must be inventions; literary, scientific and artistic works; performances; or trademarks. "The full moon party doesn't fit any category. It's neither an artistic work, an invention, nor a traditional custom," he said.

Mr Jade said he understood the minister's intention was to promote the festival as a unique form of party in Thailand, but this could not be done.

Patenting the full moon party as a Thai tourism product was also impossible because the words "full moon" and "party" are generic names anyone can use, Mr Jade said.

(Mr Mingkwan also appeared unaware that full-moon parties have been occurring for hundreds, if not thousands of years, around the world.)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Minister discovers full moon, seeks a patent

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKY View Post
    The all-night beach bash is held each full moon on the tourist island of Koh Phangan, off Surat Thani province. The party draws large numbers of young foreign tourists - as well as drug sellers and users.
    Does the Singapore version turn a blind eye to drug use? Does the Singapore version have people falling down drunk into the sea and drowning? Maybe they can patent that if they are so proud of our "full moon party". But who would want to copy the Thai version?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Does the Singapore version turn a blind eye to drug use? Does the Singapore version have people falling down drunk into the sea and drowning? Maybe they can patent that if they are so proud of our "full moon party". But who would want to copy the Thai version?
    I can't remember when was the first "Full Moon" party of Singapore. But in Singapore its not call "Full Moon Party" rather, its organised by one of the most famous clubs in Singapore, and the event is call "Zoukout". Its held almost every year in Nov. I was at the first Zoukout and yes, some silly drunkards went swimming into the sea at the beginning of the party and one of them got drown! Don't think there're any more casualty ever since.

I cannot say Singapore is totally drug free but you really need to have the right connections to score drugs. I'll say its very difficult and its a risk not worth taking.

Khun Mingkwan probably saw how much the ticket is for Zoukout (around 1,000 - 1,300 baht? )and got greedy.

Thanks

Just kinda proves what IQ is needed to go into Thai politics and win a seat don't it.555

Thanks

ugh. this hurts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Anyone wat to volunteer to tell him about the full moon parties in Magnetic Island, Australia? Or the ones at Trellis Bay in the British Virgin Islands? Or the ones in Muster, Ireland? Or the ones on Spains' Teneriffe Island? Ok, I'll stop there!

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

David, is google your friend, or have you attended these parties?

reminds me of a sports commentator a few years ago who wanted to put a patent (copyright) on a phrase he used (something like "good evening, have fun cheering"). he actually sued others who used it.

I would definitely put copyright on Paul's spelling, FiP's rants on Thai food, David's smiley, and maybe I could patent my pessimism as well?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Google is my friend! Though I read about the one in Munster in the newspaper - here in northern Wales I live closer to Dublin than London.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Haha actually we had "Full Moon Parties" in Sweden too. Rave parties held under that name so people would know there are plenty of drugs, booze and prolly some sex too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sved View Post
    Haha actually we had "Full Moon Parties" in Sweden too. Rave parties held under that name so people would know there are plenty of drugs, booze and prolly some sex too.
    Ha ha Someone better write to your ministers to have them patent first before Thailand does.

Thread Information