Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: American marrying a Thai national

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    I'm interested in talking to anyone who may have married a Thai national. If you're from the United States even better. My questions are:

Is it better to marry in Thailand and then apply for immigrant visa in the U.S.? I've heard this takes longer.

Is it better to apply for a K 1 visa and bring her over to get married.

How much will the process cost?

How long will it take?

Thanks for your time.
    Go K-1

Applied for the K-1 visa (I-129F), took about 9 months to get approved. Flew to Thailand got married in her home village, took bus back to BKK for visa interview at US Embassy, flew back to States with wife. Got married in States at court house sent in application to adjust status ( I-485) took about 4 months (?), 2 years is almost up so we just mailed off I-751 to remove conditional status with $545.00 check.

My wife was in the US with me about 10 months after I started the process. that accounted for an extra month of mailing one set of applications back and forth for signatures as I screwed it up the first time. Luckily I caught it before I sent to Uncle Sam! I think with fees and postages from then to now (3 years) around $1000.00. Did all of the paper work myself.

When the I-129F is approved she'll have to go to the US Embassy in BKK with a big slog of paper work regarding her and you. I was lucky enough to have this coincide with a trip I took there so I was able to help do it all and go to the Embassy with her. I do know there are reputable companies there to help with this, but there are also bad ones. Sorry no recommendations there.

All in all pretty easy and worth the effort!!

If you want more info leave me a PM and I'll get back to you.

Whats wrong with an Asian woman fethish?
    Last edited by bassai; 09-06-08 at 02:19 PM. Reason: grammer and spelling
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thanks

I thought once you were married in Thailand you couldn't apply for the fiancee visa which is a non-immigrant visa. Because the marriage is valid in Thailand and the United States I thought you had to then apply for a migrant visa and this takes a longer time to process.

The K1 is a non-immigrant visa which allows a fiancee to come to the states for a period of three months and they must marry during that time or they can't stay. When they are married they can then apply for a change of status.

The whole thing is quite confusing and the application that I got from the Dept. of State listed a number of things like shots, proof she isn't married, proof of support. How do you prove you aren't married? What about support? Someone told me you must be 100 percent above the poverty line to be accepted, what is the poverty line? I wish they would make clearer what they are looking for in the process.

Thanks

Someone told me you must be 100 percent above the poverty line to be accepted, what is the poverty line? I wish they would make clearer what they are looking for in the process.
    If they did that it would take all the fun out of it..

What Bassai was referring to about the Thai Marriage was the Thai Ceremony in her village which is just a drunken party which the Thai like because of the free booze and grub and has no legal implications, You can also get married here with a trip to the Amphur and costs nothing and no booze but does mean that you are legally married in Thailand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    If they did that it would take all the fun out of it..

What Bassai was referring to about the Thai Marriage was the Thai Ceremony in her village which is just a drunken party which the Thai like because of the free booze and grub and has no legal implications, You can also get married here with a trip to the Amphur and costs nothing and no booze but does mean that you are legally married in Thailand.
    Yes to be more correct DRUNKEN, LOUD, ALL NIGHT AND ALL THE NEXT DAY PARTY !!! Woke up at 5AM to start getting ready, still PARTYING! Offering to monks, STILL PARTYING!

We didn't bother to go to the Amphur as we were on a rigid time schedule andno need to throw any monkey wrenches in the works.
    The K1 is a non-immigrant visa which allows a fiancee to come to the states for a period of three months and they must marry during that time or they can't stay. When they are married they can then apply for a change of status.
    Yep, and that's what you want to go for, be forewarned that "The Drunken Party" may be asked for, but you don't have to go to the Amphur.

The whole thing is quite confusing and the application that I got from the Dept. of State listed a number of things like shots, proof she isn't married, proof of support. How do you prove you aren't married? What about support?
    When th I-129F is approved she'll get a packet from the US Embassy. Not married she'll go to the Amphur and they give proof of that, the shots and physical she'll get in BKK or Chaing Mai at an approved hospital (they'll tell you ). Support is up to you, bank statements, letter from employer, 2 years fed tax returns, etc.

Someone told me you must be 100 percent above the poverty line to be accepted, what is the poverty line? I wish they would make clearer what they are looking for in the process.
    Pretty low bar to have to pass, look it up on the net, you'll laugh. We know a couple he was able to do it and he's on some kind of disability and makes xtra cash selling stuff at the flea market. If you are serious about this and want to do it yourself you'll have to nut up and do your home work, cause your getting ready to ride the tiger. Your other choice is to pay a service to do it for you. Some are good, some are not.
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

Thanks

I submitted my affidavit of support while I was only receiving my graduate stipend and student loans, so if you are working at a real job you should have no problems at all.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Quick update.

Expressed mailed form I-751 on Sat June 7, government cashed check`Wed June 11, and Thursday got our !-797-C, Notice of Action extending conditional status 1 year and notifying us we'll receive date and time for biometrics.

Darn fast for the government!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    I thought once you were married in Thailand you couldn't apply for the fiancee visa which is a non-immigrant visa. Because the marriage is valid in Thailand and the United States I thought you had to then apply for a migrant visa and this takes a longer time to process.

The whole thing is quite confusing and the application that I got from the Dept. of State listed a number of things like shots, proof she isn't married, proof of support. How do you prove you aren't married? What about support? Someone told me you must be 100 percent above the poverty line to be accepted, what is the poverty line? I wish they would make clearer what they are looking for in the process.
    Hi Asian,

You will make it through the immigration process one step at a time: like we all did. Deep breath and start at step one.

What kind of Visa do you need? If you had a wedding and registered at the Amphur Office, then you will need to apply for a K-3 Visa (Form I-130). If you did not go to the Amphur Office, then it would still be a K-1 Visa(Form I-129f). If there are any children involved, then they would use a K-4 Visa for each child.

Proof she is not married: Have her write a statement in English that says "I am not or have I ever been married." Take it to a Notary and get it stamped. If she has been married before, then she will need a stamped original copy of the divorce papers from the Amphur Office and an English translation by an approved translation service.

The 2007 Poverty Line was $10,210 for a single person and I am not sure about 100% over that to be eligible.

Here is a link for I -130 which is the form you will need if you went to the Amphur office Here
    Here is a link for I-129f if you did not go to register the marriage: here
    You will need to fill out a Form G-325A for both of you: Here
    You will need to fill out an I-134 Affidavit of Support: Here

The current fee for an I-130 is $355 and an I-129f is $455. There will be more fees in the future: trust me.

There is a ton of information that goes with a Visa request. I sent pictures of my (then fiancee) wife and I together at the Grand Palace and other places to prove I had been with here. I also sent a copy of each page of my passport (which use to be required) to prove I had been to Thailand.

Your wife will be instructed by the Embassy on which shots she will need along with instruction to get a chest X-ray, and a letter from the Police saying she is not a criminal. All of that is well down the road and you will have plenty of time to think about it. Completing the K-Visa is the thing you should focus on now.

There are several forms that need to be filled out with your original partition, but if you complete them one at at time it is not so hard. I did all of the forms by reading the information on the Internet and then just doing it. Remember it is better to give too much information than too little. I would recommend that you make two copies of everything in the Visa Package before you send it: one for you and send one to your wife in the event anything comes up "missing". I know from experience the staff at the Consulate Office will "make" problem in hopes that a rich farang will pay under the table to fix them. That is another story for another day.

The fees for Immigration have more than doubled in the last four years. Plan on $3500-4000 to get your wife here. The Alien Status Partition and Biometrics are $1050. If you are smart with your money the fees are spread out enough for you to keep up.

Keep the questions coming and I or another member will help with each step.

Note: My wife will be eligible to become a U.S. Citizen in Nov. 2008. I get to start that process and I get depressed thinking about it. In the end, I would recommend "most" people did not use a lawyer to fill out the forms to get a Visa for a spouse/fiance(e).
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    Sometimes a fiancee visa is the best and sometimes the spousal visa works best, but at any rate is is not an easy or quick thing, so just take it as it comes and do not get excited and eventually everything will work out OK.

But my advise is, If you are not going to marry and live here, then why not marry someone who lives where you do and save yourself a hell of a lot of trouble and expense.
    And if you are having trouble putting up with them women,, Bub, you ain't seen nothing yet..

There really ain't that much difference and I been married to 3 Americans and 3 Asians,, and they come good and bad from everyplace.
    There must be a help group to cure your addiction to wedding cake.

Thread Information