PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Elephant ride

Thread: Elephant ride

Thanks

question

Although I've spent a lot of time in Thailand already, I've never ridden an elephant. Next month I will again be in Thailand...this time with my sister and her adult daughter. We've talked about riding elephants near Chiang Mai; sounds like fun. But is it???

I have read on a forum site or two that these rides can be pretty rough, even to the point of being thrown from the rider's seat.

Has anyone out there ridden an elephant, and how was it?
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thanks
    I have done this in Kanchanburi which is about the same as in Chiang Mai. On the same tour we also did bamboo rafting. Yes, it is fun but I think most people would say that 30 minutes and certainly one hour is more than enough time. It is uncomfortable after a while. I think the only time you have to really hold on is when they go down to cross a river.

Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks

Gor Gai

Hmm elephant rides

Elephant riding is alright, I guess. Basically it's just what it says - riding an elephant.

But if you speak a little bit of Thai and the driver is nice, they just might let you try to steer this giant thing through the forest!

I've only done it in Chiang Mai though, so I'm not sure about other places. Hope this helps

Jonny

Thanks
    Can be done at least in Chiang Mai, Kanjanaburi, Ayuthaya and Hua Hin.

You just gotta take an elephant ride there....is a nice elephant camp northwest of Chiangmai. But (a lesson I learned much too well), never never ride an elephant for an hour early the morning after you've had way too much thai whiskey!!!!
    Oh, yea, you won't fall off but going downhill makes you think you might.

Thanks
    Hi! I am Arun! I am fortunate to rode on an elephant twice in my life and both in wonderful Thailand! First was in Krabi but in Chiang Mai, the package included bamboo rafting which I thought sort of tame and yes, too long on the elephant might start to bore you but the trip always ends just nicely before that happens. Especially seeing others as if slipping and shouting, it added to the fun! I wished the rides was in a really thick jungle so I can pretend that I'm the Raja or the Sultan going hunting!

Thanks
    I wanted to keep the memories always alive so I had a teakwood elephant chair custom made into my living room the size of a single bed! Too bad I can't keep an elephant in my apartment!

Moon4U Guest
    I did an elephant ride close to Chiang Mai, There is an elephant camp, with a nice show how the elephants help the people in the woods, you can make a ride of about one hour sitting in a basket mounted on the elephant, an elephant driver will sit behind the elephants ears, it was an unique expirience, i will recommend it to anybody if they have the chance to do it. I made very nice pictures and have very good memories of that place.

Greetings, Moon4U

regelous Guest
    I went for an Elephant ride in Phuket. It's a must do. They are amazing creatures and riding one is an experience I'll never forget. Getting a back massage from an elephant is another expierence I'll never forget.

Thread Information