PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Tourism dip blamed on political tensions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Tourism dip blamed on political tensions

It's easy to blame the others while they really don't have any practical policy to cope with real problems esp. critical economic problems, consequences of escalating oil prices.

Thanks

Same as politicians from many countries, many have never held a real job in their lifetime.

gk10002000 Guest

Anybody that had previously been to Thailand was not too worried about the military takeover. As others have said, the economy and gas prices are slowing travel down a bit, not to mention that some people have some housing and mortgage and credit issues.

One person posted that Thailand has had a democracy and it did not last. Unfortunately I do agree with him. An anology is Arab countries. They do not accept or even believe in democracies. They always had a tribal system of government with elders running things. In addition, the islamic law is most definitely not democratic and Islam is a big part of their day to day mores, laws and life routines.

In Thailand, I don't really know what they want. Democracy is difficult to run and can be very inefficient. Centuries of a monarchy, even in the modern age may be a powerful force.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gk10002000 View Post
    In Thailand, I don't really know what they want. Democracy is difficult to run and can be very inefficient. Centuries of a monarchy, even in the modern age may be a powerful force.
    I'm not sure efficiency is a huge consideration for Thai people. : )

Many of the world's smoothest running democracies - eg: the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark and Britain - are constitutional monarchies.

The biggest obstacle for democracy in Thailand is social inequality. Most of the population don't make much money so their votes are relatively cheap to buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billk View Post
    Most of the population don't make much money so their votes are relatively cheap to buy.
    Many will always sell their vote to the highest bidder on a point of principal as they know whichever politician gets in is likely to make money from bribes and other kick-backs-so, they reason, why should those that put them in power not benefit also?

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21948

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Many will always sell their vote to the highest bidder on a point of principal as they know whichever politician gets in is likely to make money from bribes and other kick-backs-so, they reason, why should those that put them in power not benefit also?

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21948
    I always vote on people that wants to lower my taxes most

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sved View Post
    I always vote on people that wants to lower my taxes most
    Until recently that wasn't the usual reasoning of voters in the northern European democracies. They have a long history of electing higher taxing governments that maintain a high level of collective wealth in the education system, hospitals and so on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billk View Post
    Until recently that wasn't the usual reasoning of voters in the northern European democracies. They have a long history of electing higher taxing governments that maintain a high level of collective wealth in the education system, hospitals and so on.

Thats very true but it still comes back to "What does it mean for me"

Thread Information