PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai communities abroad
    Thanks

question

I am learning the thai language and I am looking for people to get some exercise with. I am living in Munich and only have been to Thailand for vacations. Is there anyone in this forum with similar wishes?

talking

There was a jokes..when I learned Thai language. I still remember one day I went to Ta-lard. I want to buy lime. So, I ask the thai people in the ta-lard to get me the "mar naow". The lady looking at me and say Khon bar ler...mai mi mar naow mee te mak naow. I don't understand what was she said. I wonder why the lady look so angry and didn't get me the lime. Luckily, there was an old Taiwan lady beside me ask me what I want. Then I still said that I want mar naow. The old lady quite good in Thai Language and told me that mar naow or mak naow. "If you say mar naow means smelly death dog and mak naow means lime. So which want you want" Opps...haa. now I know why the thai lady look so angry with me. I quickly said "Khor thod to the thai lady and this time I tell him that I want is MAK NAOW" HAaa.....ha....ha.. What a stupid joke that I have meet in the ta-lard.

Eliza

Alex Klongtan Guest
    During my first months in Bangkok as a purchase manager, we needed assistance from thai buyers when negotiating with suppliers who could not speak English. One buyer in charge of the department had just resigned; his name was "chuta".

During each and every negotiation, what we thought was that guy's name was said like 20 times. We were quite surprised that so many references had to be made to him as he was no longer working for us.

We finally asked one of the thai buyers who laughed a lot before answering that nobody was mentionning his name but "chut ha" or "point five" (.5)!!!

Vali Guest
    I dunno what they were telling you in the market, but lime is just manao. Not maknao.

I'm near Seattle. I found that the local (as in "near me" - there are several) Thai Bhuddist temple has a free "Learn to Speak Thai" class. You might want to check and see if there are any temples in your area. (It also didn't hurt that one of the wife's English-second-language students is Thai. Now if I can just manage to keep the Spanish/Russian/German/English language salad untossed...)

shane_i Guest
    lime is ma-nao we can also say mhaak-nao. It is the very old way to say ma-nao by old people. I am rarely hear that anymore.

Thread Information