PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Boycott Tiger Temple, Kanchanaburi
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Boycott Tiger Temple, Kanchanaburi

Danish Tour Operator Boycotts Well Known Thai Tourist Attraction
    ScandAsia.Denmark News
    By Bjarne Wildau

"The Tiger Temple" in Thailand is a major tourist attraction, but the story behind the project are based on lies. The animals are imported to Thailand under the "highly dubious circumstances" – That’s why the biggest Danish tour operator Billetkontoret now boycott tiger temple, writes Take Off.

This week, the tour operator was strongly encouraged to stop several visits to "The Tiger Temple" in Kachanburi, close to the River Kwai - northwest of Bangkok.

The advice to boycott the attraction came from Billetkontorets agent in Thailand - the cause was an in-depth report by Care for the Wild International (CWI), which in two years has researched "The Tiger Temple" and followed the daily routines.

The report indicates that the original story of the wild tigers has been raised and domesticated among monks, in fact, covers the illegal import of the animals from Laos under extremely dubious circumstances.

In light of this report, many foreign tour operators and tour operators with immediate effect cancelled all visits to the tiger temple. Billetkontoret follow this boycott as the first Danish tour operator.

"Who does not want to pat a tiger? The Tiger Temple is the story of a monk who took care of one tiger, and then one more, and so on. The "Tiger Temple" was famous, because the Animal Planet made a television programme about it. It looked very reliable and The Tiger Temple was a major attraction - but after the report from the CWI, we must take responsibility as a tour operator. That’s why we have chosen to remove The tiger temple from our program in Thailand, "says Billetkontorets sales manager, Kasper Mydtskov to Take Off.

Thanks

Re: Boycott Tiger Temple, Kanchanaburi

As I have posted on your forum several times Richard:

"Nothing in Thailand is ever quite what it seems to be"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am now considering a blanket boycott for the Tiger Temple on the Paknam Web Network. This means that any blogs, articles or posts on the forum must have a "public health warning".

I was in two minds when I did my visit a few years back. But, listening to recent reports of visits this year, I am now changing my mind. The whole thing is now very commercial and shouldn't be happening in temple grounds. The last report I had was that monks were scamming visitors into buying fake tiger amulets. When I went you "only" had to pay 300 baht to have your picture taken. That was a lot back then. Now the monks are asking for another 1,000 baht on top of that if you want a "special" picture with the tiger.

If you have any recent experiences at this temple or have a comment on whether we should start a boycott then please post a reply here.....

Thanks

I'd been reading up this place for quite sometimes but had yet to visit as I'd read lots of negative reports. Reading all these here, thats just sad. I say ban it.

Thanks

Here's a link to the report

http://www.careforthewild.com/files/...8_final_v9.pdf

Care for the Wild recommends that the National Parks Deprtment be pressured to step in and confiscate the tigers. Perhaps this forum could include contact details for doing that.

Perhaps some more also needs to be said about the animal welfare practices in some Wats.

Thanks

After reading the report in billk's post I agree to ban.

Is it a similar situation with the Tiger zoo at Sri Racha?

Thanks

I hope by boycotting, the ultimate achievement is for improving living condition for these tigers. However, I am afraid that it's a catch 22 because boycotting can severely affect the temple's income for upkeep of these tigers and eventually will have to get rid of these tigers because lack of income. These tigers will possibly be put in the zoo or put back into the wild. These tigers are domesticated and probably can not survive in the wild on their own. Some of these tigers, when the monks brought them in are already sick or partially paralyzed and most likely will be humanely euthanized if they were to be taken away. It is very questionable about the faith of these tigers since I highly doubt that National Parks Department have enough funding and man power for taking care of these tigers.

I am well aware that we are genuinely concerned about welfare of these tigers. However, I have been asking myself over and over again, if these tigers are really being better off somewhere else.

For above reasons, I am reluctantly must say no to boycott at this time. I will not visit nor advised any of my friends to go there. I sincerely hope that Thai government will step in soon and can offer a solution that all parties can agree on. May be an organized protest could bring on enough heat to Thai government to notice and take action in this matter.

Soi4
    Last edited by Soi4; 10-07-08 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks

I visited the Temple many years ago on my own, no need for a managed Tour and it was O.K. back then.

Very sad to hear how it has changed since then.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

I think Soi 4 makes some very good points. There is always this dilemma when tackling poor treatment of animals that are part of the tourist/ entertainment industry.

Clearly, none of these tigers can go back to the wild. Care for The Wild Int acknowledges that in their report. However, Care for The Wild Int claimed in their report that they have a home organized in Thailand for any tigers that are confiscated by the National Parks Dept.

The report also suggests that there might not be a legal basis for confiscating all of the tigers at the Temple. There have been a number of reports about poor animal husbandry and public safety at the Temple and these have generally claimed that the Abbott of the Temple was approached about the issues and was unresponsive. He seemed to suggest that corners were being cut in the present to expedite future developments that would solve all the problems. Perhaps being put in the spotlight like this will spur some real action to improve conditions for the tigers that remain there.

Thanks

To add to they're profits they have many farang vounteers working there for free .Also before entry you have to sign an agreement that if you are attacked by any of the beasts you waiver any claim of the sanctuary being held responsible,cute little business right enough.Im not too sure if the race based entry fee is in operation at the temple ?

Thread Information