PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Water festival
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Water festival

Thanks

so happy!

HI! Everyone!

I will be coming to Bangkok on 12th to 15th of April to celebrate สงกรานต์. What are the best things to do and where are the places to go to feel the festive celebrations?

Thanks

Gor Gai

Well... For Songkran all Bangkok goes away, specially to Chiang-Mai were the Sonkran party is said to be the best!

I use to be there every year, throwing klong water from an oil tank filled with ice and it was a lot of fun, even if we received also tons of icy, smelly, brown, water...

Sawasdee Pimai!!
    Support our friends at PAKNAM and save money, buy your books and click on: http://www.buythaibooks.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ualan @ Mar. 11 2003,22:04)]it was a lot of fun, even if we received also tons of icy, smelly, brown, water...
    I envy you so much, ualan! I hope I will experience this in Chiang Mai one day...

Thanks
    Songkran is good fun once or twice. After that the novelty starts to wear off. Khao San and Patpong area are quite good places if you like to participate in water war. Be careful though, lots of accidents happen during this period, mainly on roads. Nowadays I usully stay indoors and watch the others getting wet or maybe it is just my age

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Bamboo Grove @ Mar. 13 2003,20:57)]Be careful though, lots of accidents happen during this period, mainly on roads.
    What kind of accidents? You mean the traffic?

Thanks

panic

I can only come as far as bangkok cos all flights to Chiang-Mai is fully booked.

I heard many people will be going home for the new year and Bangkok will be quite quiet.However,many tourists will be playing water gun at khao san.

I also heard people getting drunk and many road accidents!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Oopsie...

I heard that Bangkok has good railroad connections to Chiang Mai, so if the flights are all booked, you could take the train... or how about the buses? Well, maybe not, considering the increased number of accidents, as you say...

Thanks
    Mis amigos y yo tried to grab a bus, flight, and train to Chiang mai for Songkran last year...fa-get-a-bout-it. They were booked solid. Other than renting a car, there was simply no way to get to CM. However, that doesn't mean you can't still have fun. I went out and bought the largest water gun I could find, and on the Saturday of Songkran, my friends and I hopped in a cab and started to head to Kao Sarn road. We got there and the place was a war-zone. I was already soaked be cause I had gotten into a water fight with the motorcycle taxi guys who wait outside of my apartment, but my friends were still completely dry. That didn't last long.

By the end of the day, I had gone through 3 big water-guns, and I took no prisoners. I shot 'em all!

On the following day, we all get this crazy idea to go check out pattaya, but we figured that the buses would be sold out, so we arranged to take a car. The next morning, we found that the busses weren't full, so we ditched the car and took the bus.

When you get to pattaya, you will notice that people play by a different set of rules. While going to war in Pattaya, I soon found my big water gun to be useless when compared to the giant tube-like water blasters they use down in pattaya (which are illegal, I believe). As soon as my friends and I got to pattaya, we realized our weapons were obsolete, so we pitched in for the better goods. Then we huddled around a giant barrel filled with ice cold water, and we blasted each other a close range with these huge and powerful make-shift water guns. It was all fun and games until some katoey chick ran up to me with a bowl of ice cold water and flung all the water as hard as she could right into my face. Owww! It felt like being slapped by someone's hand. Our moods were kind of spoiled after that, so we headed back to Bangkok and called it quits.

If you can't get to chiang mai, then you can still shoot some people up in Bangkok. I'd skip pattaya, as the men don't dual like gentlemen and the katoeys don't dual like ladies.

P.S. Don't shoot people in the head.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks

Sounds like a LOT of FUN you had!!!

I have heard and seen(on TV) about songkran.But this will my FIRST time in Thailand for the actions.

kid waa is going to be very sanuk!!

Thanks
    It is a lot of fun and I am looking forward to going out again this year. Like someone said above, a lot of people go to their home provinces over Songkran so the buses and trains are full before and after Songkran. The roads in Bangkok are empty for 4-5 days during Songkran so it is the best time to drive around and see the sights! Yes, there are a lot of accidents. I think about 500 died. Mainly motorcycle accidents.

The above is one of my favourite pictures of the water fights. I'll be playing in my home town of Samut Prakan. You can see pictures from last year at my school's paknam.com web site.

Have fun!
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thread Information