PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai Mushrooms....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thai Mushrooms....

Once when in Thailand I ate one can of sardines with small mushrooms, it was first time I tasted this combo-sardines & mushrooms...and it was surprisingly tasty-must eat it again on my next trip. And there are so many varieties of edible mushrooms in this world, )and so many ways to prepare them) some are inexpensive such as "Moonlight" mushroom, and "Portabella"-tastiest I ate so far- and some are "worth their weight in gold" as the Korean Pine mushroom and of course the French Trouffle mushroom...though they may not be of much nutritious value in dishes, they sure make difference by their taste, and aroma. So what kind of mushrooms are used most in Thai cooking?...and what kind grow naturaly in Thailand?

Thanks

Re: Thai Mushrooms....

Because of Thailand locates in tropical area, we have a numbers of mushroom,
    Local mushrooms have been seen in local Thai dish, such as Fang, Nahng Fah,(sory that I don't know the name in English) they can grow naturally or we can raise them.
    Anyway, they are some mushrooms that look exactly the same but have poison.

Thanks

If the mushrooms look exactly like the poisonous ones ,how do you tell the difference?
    I think you only get one chance:ol

Thanks

Just looked on "Flickr" web for Thai mushrooms & dishes, and saw those "Fangs",...the mushrooms look much more delicious -in all the dishes they are usedt- than their ominous sounding name in English...There`s quite a variety of mushrooms grown in Thailand like Red mashrooms,...Magical mashrooms (if that`s actual name, and not a brand name) then those Fang-straw mushrooms,...and even mushrooms that grow on trees/tree barks...I am under impression that these are all poisonous...but I guess some are edible.........you could write a book on all the Thai dishes that include mushrooms,...and make money

Thanks

It seems rural Thais have been taught since young to distinguish the edible mushrooms from the poisonous ones. When I stayed at a good friend's house in the countryside, she prepared some mushrooms for dinner. The clear mushroom soup was a little bitter but it was still tasty. I am not sure if the bitterness was the natural taste of the mushrooms or was it because she did not put much seasoning into it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yeows View Post
    It seems rural Thais have been taught since young to distinguish the edible mushrooms from the poisonous ones.
    I think that is just the normal thing in rural areas, my Dad here in Wales used to go to the woods on a Sunday morning to collect mushrooms for breakfast and he was taught which are edible when he was young.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

It seems rural Thais have been taught since young to distinguish the edible mushrooms from the poisonous ones. When I stayed at a good friend's house in the countryside, she prepared some mushrooms for dinner. The clear mushroom soup was a little bitter but it was still tasty. I am not sure if the bitterness was the natural taste of the mushrooms or was it because she did not put much seasoning into it.
    Kaeng Het แกงเห็ด usually made from mushrooms gathered in the field and others bought at the market, the bitter taste was probably a little Plaa raa ปลาร้า fermented fish mixed in, mmmm แซ่บอีหลีเด้อ.
    ปลาร้า is often called ปลาแดก plaa daek, this word will raise a lot of laughs if you use it in Esaan

Thanks

Hmmm, what is the difference between fish sauce and fermented fish sauce? I thought both of them are the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Hmmm, what is the difference between fish sauce and fermented fish sauce? I thought both of them are the same.
    If I understand correctly the fermented fish sauce actually has chunks of fish in it rather than just being a liquid.

Padaek, sometimes Padek (Isan: ปลาแดก) is made from pickled or fermented fish that has been cured. Padaek is a traditional condiment of Lao and Isan cuisine. Often known as Lao fish sauce, it is a thicker, seasoned fish sauce that often contains chunks of fish in it. The fermentation takes a long time, giving padaek a rich aroma similar to fine cheeses like Époisse. Pineapple is one of the ingredients in padaek.

Unlike other versions of fish sauce in Southeast Asia, padaek is made from freshwater fish, owing to the landlocked nature of the former kingdom of Lanxang. Padaek is used in many dishes, most notably tambakhoong (Thai som tam), a spicy papaya salad. Outside of Laos and Isan, the central Thai people refer to a similar condiment as Pla Ra (ปลาร้า).
    David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

I think we referred to these as shiitake mushrooms, but they are a much smaller variety than the ones imported into the U.S. from China. Good flavor.

Two photos:

With snow peas, sliced, at Kai Mook, in Mae Hong Son town:
    http://www.thailandqa.com/photos/index.php?n=560

With snow peas, whole, at a place in Mae Sariang:
    http://www.thailandqa.com/photos/index.php?n=561

Thread Information