PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Rub Bua Festival 2008
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

happy Rub Bua Festival 2008

The Rap Bua Festival will be held in Samut Prakan from Oct 8-10 2003 at Tambon Bang Phli. Activities range from folk plays, such as Saba Thoi and Saba Bon; boat races; a boat tug-of-war; sea boxing; contests of boats in beauty, idea and comical categories and Thai cooking from various periods in history. In addition, there will be a "Life on the Water Samrong Canal Bang Phli" light and sound show. A visit to the festival will be a bonus if travellers make further stops at:

- Wat Bang Phli Yai (Bang Phli) houses the Luang Pho To Buddha image, a sacred image that locals take in a boat procession to join in the Rap Bua Festival.

- The Ancient City (Muang Boran) is the world's largest outdoor museum, situated on an area of over 1.28 million square meters. It has a fine collection of miniature historical sites.

- Samut Prakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo is the largest crocodile farm in the world. There is crocodile breeding, demonstrations on how to catch crocodiles with bare hands and shows of "smart" elephants and animals. For more details, call Bang Phli Municipal Office at 02-337-3086, 337-3930, 337-3491.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks

Bang Phli is a district with an abundance of lotuses. The morning of the 14th full-moon night of October is the day before the end of the Buddhist Lent. Buddhists come here to pick the flowers for offerings to monks according to tradition. The people of Bang Phli regard this as great merit so they volunteer to keep the flowers for distribution to visitors who row to the district to receive them every year. This is to provide facilitation and is a way to jointly make merit. This tradition has become the "Rap Bua" (lotus receiving) festival.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Rub Bua Festival, Samut Prakan

We have the dates for the rub bua festival this year: 10th-13th October 2008. However, we don't have the full schedule yet to show which days you will see the boat parade. The last day of the Buddhist Rains Retreat this year is on 14th October 2008. The 15th is when people go to the temple to give robes to the monks. The boat parade is usually two days beforehand.

The old market at Bang Phli had a celebration every weekend for a month or more leading up to this event last year. As soon as I can confirm it is happening again this year I will post on this forum.

There are many festivals at this time of year. The Buffalo Races in Chonburi are at the same time. I usually go to see the boat parade in the morning and then drive down to Chonburi staright after.

I will post more information here as we receive it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Rub Bua Festival 2008

Here is a poster advertising the "rub bua" festival at Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai in Samut Prakan Province. It is confirmed to be 10th-13th October 2008 this year. It looks like the boat racing is on the 12th October and the "rub bua" ceremony on the 13th October. I'll post more information as soon as Tetsaban fax us the schedule. I will also do a map to show you the best places to watch the boat parade. We will be there for both days this year.

Thanks

Hi Richard - is there any further information available? I'd really like to know the timing and also the best places from which to take photographs from.

cheers,
    Simon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

They keep promising to fax me the schedule but they haven't so far. Apparently there is boat racing on Sunday but the main event is the "rub bua" on Monday. I just checked my photos from last year. I took my first photos at 8.10 and there were already thousands of people there. I think I only had to wait ten minutes for the boat to come. I then moved to tetsaban where there were only a few hundred people and easier to take pictures. I took my last picture at 10.10 a.m. That is how long it took the boat with the buddha image to go down the canal. I had enough time to drive from the temple to Tetsaban offices. Actually, I think it was the back of the temple with the Reclining Buddha.

I am off on another trip this weekend and won't be back until Sunday night. It is a shame as I wanted to see the boat racing as well. Hopefully they will fax the schedule while I am away and I will post the times. But, I reckon it will be the same as last year. So, be there before 8 a.m. on Monday. I will try and do a map tomorrow if I have time.

Thanks

Thanks Richard, if you're able a map would be good - I've never been to Samut Prakarn before and would like to get photos of the boat races as well. I'm looking forward to this event already!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Actually, I posted some google maps here. Let me know if that is enough information. Basically, the route is along the canal between the two temples. There will be events along the canal by the market during the wekeend. Just follow the crowd. A lot to explore.

Thanks

Thanks again Richard - all useful info. Last question: I'll be driving out with my family - is there anywhere specific you would recommend for parking the car?

Have a good weekend,
    Simon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A very good question. I arrived a bit late last time and there was no way I could park in any of the car parks near the temple. I ended up parking on the main road and walking in down a small road and over a bridge to the temple. An alternative is to park in Big C. But, a longer walk. I keep meaning to check this out, but I think you can walk around to the back of Big C and there is a kind of boat ferry to the other side of the canal. Basically you stand on a long boat and they pull it across. I saw that when I went on a boat tour there the other week.

Last year, after I took pictures at that location, I drove around to the Reclining Buddha temple and parked there and so got a second chance of taking pictures. Less people there and easier to park.

Although there will be thousands of people I never see any foreigners. So, we could bump into each other. Straight after this I will be driving down to Chonburi to see the Buffalo Racing.

Thread Information