Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How to grow and store Lemongrass

Hello! I purchased a few stalks of lemongrass today, and I don't know how I'm supposed to store them until I prepare them later this weekend. Does lemongrass stalks go in the refrigerator, or the dry pantry?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,761 Posts

Re: Storing Lemongrass

Dry Pantry. But why not try growing your own? It is quite easy.

Thanks

If you keep them for a few days only, dry pantry or fridge would both work.
    You could put them in the freezer too, but like Khun Don I also suggest growing your own! Take really fresh ones next time you buy some, but them in a cup of water until they grow roots (about 5 cm long, takes a few weeks normally), and put them in a pot of soil! Easy, and you'll always have fresh lemon grass!
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

One way to keep leafy fresh herbs from wilting to fast is to wrap them in a damp paper towel and place them in a bag where you sqeeze out as much air as possible.
    Another similar way is to add a drop of bleach to the water that you use to dampen the cloth.
    Growing your own is a neat way to ge them too ;o)

Thanks

The asian supermarkets in the US keep them by wrapping plastic wrap around the base..

Thanks

I have grown the same batch of lemongrass for 3 years now. Each fall, I bring some in to winter-over and in the spring divide it into 3 groups and replant in the garden. Freezing lemongrass doesnt seem to hurt it any and it gives you lemongrass in the middle of winter too.

Thanks

We grow our own and a lot of it.We take to the temple when we get to much to give to anyone that would like it.The best way to keep it for a long period of time is to freeze it.Cut off most of the leafy green part,you can use that to make tea or stuff into whole fish if you are to BBQ or bake them.Cut the rest into about 4 inch pieces put in a freezer bag .Take out what you need when you need it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In the spirit of adventure, I took the advice of the above members and stuck a couple stems of lemon grass in a bottle of water. A few weeks later the roots were big enough to plant into a pot outside. I did this on Monday and forgot all about it. I just took a look, four days later, and you can see the grassy part has already grown by about five inches! I was just searching for information on the internet and I see now that it will grow very tall very quickly. Looks like I will need a bigger pot in a few months.

I might have a go at something else next. Any suggestions? I don't want to grow from seed. BTW, in the foreground of the picture is sweet basil. I have a large clump of it around the front (delivered by birds I guess as I didn't actually do anything). I have replanted some here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lemongrass.jpg  

Thanks

hehe cute young plant picture.
    Last edited by Anatta; 28-08-08 at 07:16 PM.
    " Every morning dedicate positive things, and during the whole day make a wish that we will always be of benefits to sentient beings. We will be helpful to any being in different ways."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    I might have a go at something else next. Any suggestions?.
    Grow your own chillies-the people in my local launderette in chilly ( (sorry)) old UK have had great success doing so for 2 years now-and maybe Garlic as well-all can be grown in a pot/tub if no land. Peppers and tomatoes are easily grown-though the latter need feeding and lots of watering and must not be let to dry out .

Thread Information