PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
PM Samak Found Guilty: Must Resign
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

PM Samak Found Guilty: Must Resign

Samak's perfect stew

(BangkokPost.com, with Agency reports)

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej told the Constitution Court on Monday that he cooked for TV because he enjoyed it, not as a job for money - and the court announced it will rule on Tuesday whether he violated the law and has to resign.

A judge at the tribunal said before Mr Samak testified that it will rule quickly on whether Mr Samak violated the constitutional ban on outside work by hosting television cooking shows.

"I presented the cooking show and got paid for my acting," said Samak.

He is charged with conflict of interest. If he is guilty, Mr Samak will have to step down, along with his cabinet.

In his testimony, Mr Samak denied charges that he had broken the constitution by hosting a television cooking show while also serving as premier, claiming the programme had been done on a freelance basis.

He was responding to charges made in May by a group of Thai senators, who charged Mr Samak with violating the constitution by continuing his job as a TV presenter on his personal cooking show, Chim pai, bon pai (Tasting and Complaining), after he had been appointed prime minister on Feb 6.

Mr Samak appeared before the Constitution Court Monday to refute the charges.

"I consulted with legal counsel after I became prime minister, and they all agreed it was not a breach of the constitution if I was not a regular employee of a company," he told the court.

He said he had only hosted the show a few times after becoming prime minister and only on a freelance basis.

"I did it because I liked doing it," Mr Samak said. "I was the first TV presenter to do my cooking right in the market, and it was delicious too."

Sakchai Khaewwaneesakul, the managing director of the company that produced the cooking show, testified in support of Samak, saying it paid him 80,000 baht (US$2,300) for the four shows.

"The presenters of our shows are not our employees, but we pay them honorariums," he told the court.

Under Thailand's 2007 constitution, no elected politician is allowed to hold a second job while in office. The clause was designed to avoid conflicts of interest.

Mr Samak, 73, a veteran politician with more than four decades of experience in Thailand's tempestuous politics, is also an accomplished cook.

Thanks

Re: Samak's perfect stew

In the unlikely? event that he is forced to resign because of his cookery show, it would maybe go some way towards solving the current crisis.

Thanks

If Samak convicted, PPP will elect him PM again: Kuthep

People Power Party spokesman Kuthep Saikrajan said Monday that if Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is disqualified by the Constitution Court on Tuesday, his party would elect him as the prime minister again.

The court is scheduled to read its verdict in a case against Samak who was accused of violating the charter by hosting a TV programme for a private firm.

Kuthep said PPP MPs would vote to elect Samak as the prime minister again because they saw that Samak was he most suitable person for the post.

The Nation

Thanks

As Homer Simpson would say: D'oh!

Thanks

looking forward to Thailand becoming the laughing stock of the world again - a PM resigning because of a cooking show, and then being returned once again by the voters. wait - elections mean a day off work right? ok, then I'll stop complaining. who cares about all that money out the window spent on a farce?

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    If Samak convicted, PPP will elect him PM again: Kuthep

People Power Party spokesman Kuthep Saikrajan said Monday that if Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej is disqualified by the Constitution Court on Tuesday, his party would elect him as the prime minister again.

The court is scheduled to read its verdict in a case against Samak who was accused of violating the charter by hosting a TV programme for a private firm.

Kuthep said PPP MPs would vote to elect Samak as the prime minister again because they saw that Samak was he most suitable person for the post.

The Nation
    I read that as saying no one else wants the job!
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Well he would not be the first politician to have a conflict of interest. Owning a communications company is a much bigger deal.

Thanks

A classic case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks

Re: Cooking Show - Judgement Day

Wonder is it because the court unable to recall for the PAD leaders to the court for hearing their charges, end up they turn to samak for charges to avoid their embarrassment...?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Cooking Show - Judgement Day

The verdict has been delayed by about 90 minutes as the judges were not ready. We are now expecting the verdict to be read out at 3.30 p.m. and we will hopefully know shortly after.

Thread Information