PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
"Festival" for the dead?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

"Festival" for the dead?

Does anyone know what is the "Festival" next weekend? Ubonwan just told me to call her Saturday next weekend as on Sunday all the family will be coming for a 'party for dead people' and she will be too busy making food.

I can find no mention online of anything and thought it may be just a family thing but she tells me it is for all Cambodian people.

I have now known her for 5 Septembers and she has been to this 'party' for all but the first September I knew her and she was supposed to go home then but elected to go for a holiday in Bangkok with me instead.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: "Festival" for the dead?

Found this on the internet via Google and "Cambodian festival of the dead"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you reckon it is related to the Boon Luang Festival with the colourful parade of Phi Ta Khon? These are the people dressed in ghost masks and is sometimes called Ghost Festival. The Chinese have festivals for the dead. Buddhists also have ceremonies to honour their dead ancestors. It might just be a regional thing or even just one town.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Found this on the internet via Google and "Cambodian festival of the dead"
    Thanks Khun Don, yes it is most likely "Bonn Pchum Ben - Spirits of the Dead Festival". I searched for "Cambodian Festivals September" but apparently in Cambodia it is in October.

I also now found this page with photographs of the festival http://www.2camels.com/photos/bonn-p...d-festival.php All mention I can find of it is only in Cambodia but Ubonwan tells me it is also observed by the Khmer people in Isaan. It seems to be not fixed in date as two weeks ago she was not sure of the exact date just that it would be in the last week of September.

David

Thanks

Oh. David. Just ask Suzie. She is not only very well informed of it but celebrates it herself.

She was asking me very much in advance if I too celebrate what she called ancesters' day. Maybe, I can later give further details.

Thanks

OK. David. I found the following details.

In Thailand, Buddhists observe a memorial day for their deceased ancesters. That is in the month of September. It is called Sart Thai ceremony. It is an annual merit making rite. It is, in fact, not a religious day but it is a traditional ritual.

This is the information available to me. Please check if it is factually correct.

Thanks

Right. Let me give you further details.

Thai Buddhists see death as a part the cycle of life and so there is unity between life and death. They believe that what they are today is due to their ancesters.

So, they pay special respect for ancesters. Sart Thai festival is meant for that purpose. Normally, it falls on a day at the end of the tenth lunar month, that is sometime during September.

Chinese people also worship the moon in the month of September. But it has nothing to do with the deceased relatives.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    . It seems to be not fixed in date as two weeks ago she was not sure of the exact date just that it would be in the last week of September.

David
    Probably one of the many lunar festivals in the region-e.g. Loy Krathong. New Moon is Sept 30th according to my calendar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by senaratne View Post
    OK. David. I found the following details.

In Thailand, Buddhists observe a memorial day for their deceased ancesters. That is in the month of September. It is called Sart Thai ceremony. It is an annual merit making rite. It is, in fact, not a religious day but it is a traditional ritual.

This is the information available to me. Please check if it is factually correct.
    Though as I mentioned in my original posting Ubonwan tells me this particular festival is only for Khmers and not Thais in general.

David

Thanks

We talked about this again today as family has started arriving for tomorrow. She told me specifically today that it is not for Thai or Chinese people only people "in Cambodia and Buriram" and called it by a short one sylable word that sounded to me like "lin" or "rin" but in all probability this will be a Khmer not Thai word.

She is also under the impression that it "is the same like Christmas for Farang, everybody come eat and drink whisky."

David

Thread Information