PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai SIM cards, pay as you go? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Thai SIM cards, pay as you go?

i have unlocked my phone. now i must know where to go in the airport to buy SIM card, and if they have pay as you go plans, etc, perhaps plan utilizing some type of phone card. i must know the cost of the sim cards and plans too. thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

The last "D-TAC Happy" I bought was about 200 Baht which included 50 Baht calling credit. Voice calls within Thailand were 1 Baht/minute and SMS texts overseas were about 15 Baht each. I never confirmed it but was convinced that the 1st SMS I sent each day was not charged.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

AIS have a counter on the ground floor, new sims or top ups as required.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

i see. so if i only want to talk 1 hour max while in thailand should not cost more than $6 USA. however, I am sure i would want to talk more than that. Maybe minimum 3 hours total, with the possibility of talking 45 minutes per day for 2 weeks. suggestions? I am trying to estimate costs so I know exactly how much money i will need to bring. Probably most of my time will not be spent on the phone, because I will most likely be spending most of my time helping at an orphanage. But some evenings and my first and last day there I am sure i will want to talk to some friends in Bangkok.

Thanks

I use True and top up at 90 baht a time. That's fine for me ringing in Thailand but if I call to the UK it only lasts for about 15 or 20 minutes then I have to top up again.
    And if I haven't used my credit within a few weeks, I can't call out unless I top up again, even tho there's credit on the phone.
    Probably better to keep spare top-up cards in the home.

Thanks

When I was over in May last year we all got sim cards at 300b per card.Its green on one side and white on the flip with the word 'freedom across the bottom.We only used them to keep in touch with each other so I guess we perhaps did'nt use up a lot.

Can we still use them cards on our visit this year (july)? Or do these sime have an expiry period ???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    When I was over in May last year we all got sim cards at 300b per card.Its green on one side and white on the flip with the word 'freedom across the bottom.We only used them to keep in touch with each other so I guess we perhaps did'nt use up a lot.

Can we still use them cards on our visit this year (july)? Or do these sime have an expiry period ???
    SIM cards have an expiry date that is extended each time you add credit to them.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

the added expiry date depends on the kind of SIM you have. for the cheap cards, you need to topup 10 baht a day to keep it running (300 per month! for me, that was way too much and impossible to spend). for a more expensive card, any topup over 100 baht gives an extra one-year validity. really worth checking out the different kinds of cards on the AIS and DTAC websites, you'll find what you need for your purposes (length of stay, how much you want to use the phone, etc)

Thanks

This is an excellent thread... thanks to everyone who has left info here. I was going to ask the same questions, and I bet 99% of the answers were already here!

I plan to get a phone to use while I'm in BKK, but all I would probably use it for is to call home (USA) a couple of times, and maybe to call my hotel if necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

I have been watching this thread carefully, also. Thanks to all who have provided information.
    Last edited by Susana; 26-03-09 at 05:50 PM. Reason: found the answer! Thanks

Thread Information