PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai SIM cards, pay as you go?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thai SIM cards, pay as you go?

Hi i will be traveling to Bangkok sometime soon and I know i will want to call Thai friends, etc. I am thinking it is best to either get some special pay as you go English language Thai cell phone, or english language bangkok sim card.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

Re: Thai SIM cards, pay as you go?

As long as your cellphone is not locked to one network the easiest option is to pick up a thai SIM card, you can switch languages by calling customer services. Easy to top-up by purchasing cards at any 7-11.

If your phone is locked it can be quickly and cheaply unlocked in Bangkok.

Thanks

I think every phone purchased through the carrier is locked these days, and in the USA if you are using Sprint or Verizon your phone is on the wrong network (CDMA). It might work in Thailand, but you'll pay roaming charges.

What I personally did was to purchase an unlocked GSM quad band phone. Prices will vary from $20 to skies the limit, depending on how fancy you want it. You'll then have a spare phone that will work anywhere in the world (well, except Japan I think). Don't order a Thai SIM card online as they are over priced. You can purchase one right in the airport, just choose one of the networks (I went with AIS 1-2-Call). Cheap and easy to top up, just remember which network you pick so you can ask for their card at the 7-11.

Thanks

Any good ideas of where to get a $20 GSM quad band phone? and the sim cards, do i get them at the BANGKOK 7-11?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

I'm not sure if you can get the SIM cards at 7-11 but they do sell the top-up cards. But SIM cards can be bought in many places as well as cheap 2nd user unlocked telephones. Many shopping malls such as BigC have an entire floor that only have mobile telephone shops.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaCaleb View Post
    Any good ideas of where to get a $20 GSM quad band phone? and the sim cards, do i get them at the BANGKOK 7-11?
    Do a search for LG CG225 on Amazon - it's used, but for the price should be decent. Might also try ebay.

As for the SIM, I've always gotten a new SIM at the airport. They will install it for you and are good at figuring out how to get it working, which on mine required going through several menu options. Never tried buying a SIM from 7-11, somebody else might know if they carry them. There should also be plenty of phone stores in the city if that isn't an option for you.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You can only buy SIM cards at 7-Eleven and not phones. Many shopping malls sell new and used mobile phones (cell phones) from as little as 2,000 baht. As a foreigner, you might want to try MBK in the Siam Square area as they have a lot of tourists buying there and they will speak basic English - they will also unlock phones.

Another option is to rent a phone together with a SIM card when you arrive at the airport. There are a couple of counters there and judging by the crowds, it is a popular option.

Thanks

I've purchased a quad band phone and will still need to buy the sim in Bangkok. If the previous owner does not recall the code to unlock it, then I just go to Siam Square? Or do you think the place at the airport that sells SIM cards can unlock it? Can they unlock it from a network? this one I bought on ebay seems locked to AT&T/Cingular
    Last edited by JoshuaCaleb; 01-11-08 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks

I've purchased a quad band phone and will still need to buy the sim in Bangkok. If the previous owner does not recall the code to unlock it, then I just go to Siam Square? Or do you think the place at the airport that sells SIM cards can unlock it? Can they unlock it from a network? this one I bought on ebay seems locked to AT&T/Cingular
    The 4th floor at MBK is the best place to get it unlocked. If you are good at searching on Google you can figure out how to unlock it on your own. Sometimes the shop owners at other areas can be incompetent and take a long time to unlock the phone. At MBK, if they can't figure out how to unlock it at one shop, the shop owner will walk around and find someone who can figure it out.

Also, AT&T and I think Tmobile provide you with the unlock procedure for your phone provided that you bought it through them and have been on the contract for 2 months. They do this for free.

With regards to the SIM cards you can buy at 7-11, be wary of the cheap 49 baht cards as you get a lot of SMS spam. I never figured out how to get rid of all that garbage. The different SIM cards have different promotions/rates. I pay a tad bit more per minute but each time I refill, the card is good for another year. I've kept my same number several years now. Again, the mobile phone capital of the world is on the 4th floor of MBK, I would talk to one of the vendors that has a ton of SIM cards out on display and ask them which one suits you best. Some cost more because they are easy to remember or unique numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

Agree 99.99% with badfish - MBK is the way to go if you are at all unsure about what to do.

The 00.01% is only to add a pedantic point that another reason some numbers are more costly is because numerology is quite a big influence throughout SEA including Thailand and some numbers are considered more auspicious than others.

Thread Information