PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Letter from Thaksin to friends and media
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Letter from Thaksin to friends and media

I was quite guilty because I was successful politician : Convicted ex-PM

Read Thaksin's letter in which he says, "Whatever happen to me is a political driven actions collaborated by various group of privileged elites who believe in anything but democracy.

Woodsome Manor

Surrey, England

Dear My Friends in International Media,

I am writing to you today to clarify few facts, The news headlines have reported that I have been convicted of corruption for two years stemming from the purchase of land by my wife, Khunying Potjaman Shinawatra.

What you have read is true, I was convicted for two years, but not because of corruption charge. The only reason I was sentenced to Jail is because at the time my wife bought the land through the open bid, I was the Prime Minister.

I listened to the judgment yesterday and even now I am still confused ; there is no evidence of fraud, corruption nor abuse of power in relation to the bid in question; my wife was the one who involved and made decision to bid for the land, offered a lot more seller, Financial Instit ution Development Fund (FIDF), than other bidders, signed the contract with the seller, paid for the land with no involvement from her husband except when he was required to sign a spousal consent form.

In terms of any alleged influence I may have had no direct supervisory power over the FIDF. Interestingly, the Court did not find the sale transaction of my wife unlawful or illegal, they did not convict her because she is not a politician; nevertheless, I was . I trust that you will independently verify the above facts as professional journalists often do.Unfortunately, most of you professsional colleagues in Thailand refuse to do so.

The best. I can comprehend is that I was convicted simply because I was a politician . In that case I was quite quite guilty cause I was quite a successful politician, I got elected twice by the majority of thai people as Prime Minister.

If I were to be guilty of anything, that would be what I have shown to the Thai people, especially those underprivileged rural thais that they can, and have the right to, demand their government to provide effective policy and programs to improve their lives.

I received this judgment with mixed feeling; relief for my wife as I pulled her into enough troubles because of my politcal ambition to bring greatness and well-being to my country and my people, amused and bitter with the illogical of the judgment, and worry for those politicians in Thailand that they could go to jail simply because their unhappy spouses may sought to manipulate the law.

For those of you who may not be too familiar with Thailand, state offices and enterprises in Thailand are doing so many businesses from telecommunication, banking, power generator or even owning gas stations.

I do not know should I laugh or cry to see the direction Thailand is moving forward: a democratically elected leader was put out of job because he cooked on a TV show but those who unlawfully trespassed and occupying the government house got protection from the Court.

Whatever happen to me is a political driven actions collaborated by various group of privileged elites who believe in anything but democracy. I am a threat to them because I represent the principle of liberal democracy which promote hope and pride of the poor of my country.

Thailand is and will remain a great and beautiful country. Few people cannot face the face,obstructing the will of majority of the people. I believe that at the end Thai people will win over this struggle. And the end of their nightmare is not far.

I thank you for the opportunity to share the facts with you.

Truly Yours,

Dr. Thaksin Shinawatra

Source : matichon.co.th

Thanks

Re: Letter from Thaksin to friends and media

Much thanks to you, Khun Don, for making this available to us.

True enough. He has been found guilty by courts. But, now, we have his version of the story.

His version may be right. His version may be wrong. But we are more and better enlightened by knowing his version of the matter.

We have the Latin maxim 'audi alteram partem'.
    Last edited by senaratne; 24-10-08 at 03:44 PM. Reason: last sentence added

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

ASC, PAD say Thaksin violates law

The disbanded Assets Scrutiny Committee (ASC) and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Friday charged ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra for violating the law after a court sentenced him in absentia to two year in prison and urged the government to bring him back from London and put him in jail.

Former ASC spokesman Sak Korsangruang said Tuesday's judgment of the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions which convicted Mr Thaksin of violating the National Counter Corruption Act in the Ratchadaphisek land purchase deal was clear that he had violated the law.

The verdict clearly said that no one dared to enter in the land auction after Mr Thaksin's wife Pojaman, who was acquitted by the court, entered the bidding which took place in 2003, he said.

Asked what he thought about Mr Thaksin's planned to join a talk show by speaking from London on November 1, Mr Sak said, "No fugitive would accept that he is guilty."

His comments were made after Mr Thaksin on Thursday wrote a letter to the media from his temporary home in Surrey, southeast England, saying that he was convicted "because I was a politician."

Mr Thaksin said in his letter that he represented a "threat" to various Thai elites who "believe in anything but democracy" because he represented the principle of liberal democracy which promotes hope and pride among the country's poor.

In countering Mr Thaksin's statement, PAD core leaders on Friday urged the Thai government headed by Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, a brother-in-law of Mr Thaksin, to seek his extradition from Britain because the statement posed a negative effect towards the Thai judicial system in the eyes of the international community.

PAD core leader Pipop Thongchai said Mr Thaksin should state clearly whom he referred to as "elites" because his unclear description could damage the country's reputation.

"The government must act to prevent any contempt of court. It must also bring back Mr Thaksin and put him in jail or seize his passport," Mr Pipop said. (TNA)

Bangkok Post

Thanks

Thaksin Is A Criminal...he Gives Alot ( Government's Money ) And He Graps Much Much More Than He Gives To The Peasants....ought To Be Shot./beheaded..and Much Of Thailand's Problem Will Be Solved.....

Thanks

simple mind, eh?

Thread Information